ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing a UCH: What is needed?

Clio 182 FF
Hi all,

I have a problem with my hazard warning lights, they just will not come on. I have tried replacing both the switch and the fuse but there is no joy. I have the button lit up but the actual indicators will not come on. I have done a bit of research on the forums and it seems i may need a new UCH.

If i get a UCH from ebay, what else do i need to fix and intall this eg immobiliser and ECU?

Will this effect the cars mileage?

Is this a job i can do myself or am i best off to get renault involved and fit a new UCH?

Is there anyway of just fixing the relay on the UCH i currently have?

Can i buy a new UCH and do the work?

Are there any other solutions?

MOT is due in June so i am keen to get it fixed. Apologies for so many questions. Thanks for your help

330i. E30 Touring.
I wouldn't be replacing the UCH- it's likely to be much simpler.

Try another switch as they're temperamental- you could have bought a duff replacement! Check wiring.

Do the indicators work?

Clio 182 FF
I wouldn't be replacing the UCH- it's likely to be much simpler.

Try another switch as they're temperamental- you could have bought a duff replacement! Check wiring.

Do the indicators work?

The indicators work fine! I will try another switch. One thing i thought it might be is the bloke i bought it from has fitted a new stereo and i wondered if it could have pulled some of the wiring?

Clio 182 FF
Update: Just tried another switch and changed the fuse, wiggled the wires but still no joy! Shift+R improves the quality of this image. :-(

May take it to the garage in a few weeks for MOT ans service.

With a new uch and ecu will my miles transfer over if i buy second hand? Whats the sort of cost for fitting?

Thanks

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I paid £224 for a brandnew UCH from Renault and fitted it myself then paid £36 to have it programmed. So £260 all in, probably the easiest most reliable way to do it. Its really not hard to change, only need a 13mm spanner and a t20 torx bit to unbolt it from the car.

Clio 182 FF
Is it worth getting a second hand much and ecu from eBay? If I buy a new much do I need ecu too?

Where did you get it programmed mikekean?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I had it programmed at my local Renault Dealer.

As suggested you could send your current one for BBA Reman and they will fix it if repairable for £100 with a lifetime warranty. I sent mine there but unfortunately mine was not repairable.

Clio 182 FF
Sending it off is not really an option as i would be carless for at least a week to 10 days? Did you buy your new unit from Renault directly before they programmed it?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yeah straight from Renault then has to be programmes once its fitted.

172cup
It would be easy to get some one near you that has Clip and can tell you what fault codes you have as if it isn't your UCH the that's £200/300 wasted

Clio 182 FF
Renault have quoted me 26 for the UCH and a further 180 for fitting and programming. Plus 80 quid for a diagnostic which seems quite steep all in all. Any advice?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Adam at Renault Willenhall on 01902 439264 will sort you out the best price ;)

Clio 182 FF
apologies i meant 260 for the parts. I may give Adam a call but am considering getting one second hand from EBay and trying to fit myself.

Is there a guide on here? Anyone else done this?

Clio 182 FF
Thanks, I've had a quick look through the guides but couldnt see any reference to much. Can you point me in the right direction? Just ordered a second hand much and ecu so hopefully should not be too much hassle to swap them? I'm in Milton Keynes.

172cup
Can't find it but the uch unclips underneath the passenger dash but you will need to removed a few bolts. key fob clips apart

and ecu is behind the battery in a casing and most times you have to take the battery out

Black Gold Trophy
Mate it's a 2min job to fit one.

All I would say though is, before you go to the expense, if there's someone locally that will let you try theirs to rule it out, they don't need to be coded in order to turn operate the lights etc, but they do in order to lock/unlock the car with the remote fob and start the engine

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
If it's just the UCH you need, I have a couple spare; I could do one for £20 delivered.

Clio 182 FF
Thanks guys. I've ordered a second hand ecu and uch so will fit them and see if they work. They are off a full fat so should just plug in and off we go, come with two keys and I can swap the key blades? Is there anything else I need to do/ know?

Clio 182 FF
Will my new UCH and ECU match up with my immobiliser? Will i need to use the two new keyfobs or my existing one?

Clio 182 FF
Right i have my new uch and ecu but not being mechanically minded i dont really know wherr to start. Can anyone talk me through step by step please?

Clio 182 FF
Wow, I have had a go at trying to remove the old much but f$$k me it is well in there! Got the bolt undone but it wouldn't shift! Anyone got any pointers? Could really use some ! Thanks

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yeah there is a clip on the top, you need to pull it backwards towards the dash to unclip it. Can be quite a b**ch to detach it though, i just man handled mine out in the end lol.

Clio 182 FF
Thanks Mike, can you get any purchase on it without taking the glove box to bits? I have asked my local garage to have a go at it but may have another tinker at the weekend? I am worried that if i get it swapped and have a problem i won't be able to move the car.

Once the UCH and ECU is swapped to the new one i have i just have to swap the key blades over from the old fobs right, then thats it good to go?

Clio 182 FF
Thanks guys. The car goes into the garage tomorrow to hopefully get that sorted and for a couple of other bits. Ill let you know how we get on.

Audi A3
I fiddled about with second hand ECU's and UCH's for a few months, it stopped the initial fault of windows not working and headlights flickering etc but then the car would randonly cut out.

I then took out AA cover and claimed on the policy and had Renault fit a brand new one which would have cost £400 upwards.

Clio 182 FF
Hi Fletch,

Fingers crossed i shouldn't have any problems once they have been changed but i will bear that in mind. Literally only my hazzards that are not working. If i find i have other problems with the new units i have bought i will be raising it with the vendor and putting the old ones back in i reckon.

What AA cover did you go for? Was it a breakdown one or more like a warranty?

​Cheers

Audi A3
It was a breakdown and warranty cover, have a look online, only cost me £12 a month and then after a couple of payments i claimed.

Clio 182 FF
Garage "ran out of time" so its going to be a job for this weekend! Hopefully the weather will hold and i can crack on with it! Wish me luck lol

Clio 182 FF
Right, i have finally managed to swap the old uch for the second hand one (with great difficulty). Tried my hazards and still nothing! Do i need to put the key in the ignition? Not swapped the ecu yet as was under the impression i could just swap uch? Any help greatly received.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Hazards circuit should work without the key in the ignition.

Did you conside4 the fault may be due to a fuse or something like a faulty switch? A common problem is the hazzard switch gets disconnected when people force aftermarket headunits in.

Clio 182 FF
Hazards circuit should work without the key in the ignition.

Did you conside4 the fault may be due to a fuse or something like a faulty switch? A common problem is the hazzard switch gets disconnected when people force aftermarket headunits in.

Hi Mick,

I have tried two new switches and replaced the fuse so I am at a dead end.... Possibly it is just a wiring issue. Before replacing the much I sanded the contacts in the hazard switch plug. I'm stumped. Reckon I may have to just take it to Renault n foot the 450 bill for the fix.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

Thanks guys!