ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing crank sensor on 2003 172 - is new wiring loom necessary?

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
Hi folks,

Happy New Year.

I've got a very frustrating intermittent misfire on my 2003 Clio 172 Cup. Tried replacing a few ignition items to no avail. Local mechanic has suggested replacing crank sensor albeit I've had no starting problems with the car whatsoever. Problem only arises after car has had a serious thrash such as on a trackday or a very spirited drive on country roads. Seems to be connected with either the engine getting very hot or the car being subjected to high longitudinal/lateral forces.

After a search on the forum, I see that some members (incl tech guide) have fitted a new crank sensor which comes with a new wiring loom which looks a bit fiddly to fit.

My question is whether it is really necessary to go through the hassle of fitting a new wiring loom - can I not just simply retain the existing connector and fit a replacement crank sensor such as this one from ECP?

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/R...54b28c086e65d4f61ffdc5c936d97c328f95a9&000440

master,meg, 205 maxi
yes the modified plug is req'd and i wouldn't recomend a non genuine it may be blue but is it good quality i have replaced a non genuine one that a garage fitted it caused different problems the loom is req'd as the plug won't fit and the connectors are gold for lower resistance