ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing Imac HDD with SSD

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone done this on the old fat Imacs? Mine is a mid 2011.
Basically my HDD has gone bang, it's been on it's way out for a while now. I want to upgrade it but it turning out you need a temp sensor like this

Seems overkill money wise for what it is, anyone know a cheaper source of them or had success with the software fan speed solutions (not keen on this myself)?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I did it on my old 2011 iMac. Its a daunting prospect but there are a gazillion videos on Youtube on how to do it. You will need some tools to do it but it actually very very straightforward.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I did it on my old 2011 iMac. Its a daunting prospect but there are a gazillion videos on Youtube on how to do it. You will need some tools to do it but it actually very very straightforward.

Did you replace the temp sensor or use software to control the fans?

I'm confident doing the work, just too tight to spend £40 on the stupid temp sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I would've thought temperature sensor could be done over SMART?

I want to do this to my late-2013 imac, but i've got the 2TB fusion drive, so I've got a little m.2 kind of SSD and a spinner which is a little bit more complicated.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I would've thought temperature sensor could be done over SMART?

I want to do this to my late-2013 imac, but i've got the 2TB fusion drive, so I've got a little m.2 kind of SSD and a spinner which is a little bit more complicated.

It can and I think various fan control software just uses SMART to control them.

It would nice if it worked natively though, just a pain having to buy the sensor.

I'm running a Kingston drive in my 2011 iMac and don't use a temp sensor or software and the fans behave normally.

I've had to use HDD fan control in the past on other iMacs and have a spare key for that if you need it. It seemed to work well without any issues.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm running a Kingston drive in my 2011 iMac and don't use a temp sensor or software and the fans behave normally.

I've had to use HDD fan control in the past on other iMacs and have a spare key for that if you need it. It seemed to work well without any issues.

Cheers for the offer. Do you have a link to the Kingston you are using?