ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing Number Plates?

Clio 1.2 MkII Ph1
Hey, guys.

I'm not sure whether this is the right section to post in, so sorry if it's not!

Basically (for some weird reason), I quite fancy displaying a US registration plate on my car. The plate's been de-registered, and has been for about 5 years, and is clearly a registration from the United States (doesn't follow the format of British plates, different colours, etc.). I had a load of them showing in my back window when I first got my Clio, and I asked a police officer about it, and they said it was fine to do this. However, what I'd like to now know is, would it be legal to put the American plate where my British plate is, and put the British one either on my bumper or in the rear window? I'm only a little dubious because of rules surrounding illumination of plates and so on - but I did some internetting and jargon-busting, only to find out that illuminating a number plate is only a requirement on commercial 'heavy' motor vehicles and motor cycles; however, all I need is one mardy copper who's having a bad day and looking for a young driver to get off the roads, and I'm done (in the case of it being illegal).

Cheers!

-Oli

I have one question: What's the point?

Illegal or not, as you say it just takes one copper whose having a bad day and it will be the your head on his platter regardless of illegal or not. Tbh it seems a bit misleading to put it where a UK plate should be.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Where have you got the information from that a rear mounted plate does not have to be illuminated?

You will get pulled for it and you will get fined. People get fined for 3/4 plates, let alone a foreign plate.

Edit: 5 minutes of googling and looking at a Class 4 (car) MOT testers manual shows this: Registration plate lamps are required to illuminate the rear registration plate.

Here is the link to the testers
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]manual. It is under section 1.1.
[/FONT]http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

Last edited:
  E46 M3, Clio 182
You could always use Velcro pads? that way you can change from UK to US for shows/pictures etc.

I wouldn't even try it on the road though, as above, people get fined for a 3/4 UK plate, let alone a US plate!

Clio 1.2 MkII Ph1
Where have you got the information from that a rear mounted plate does not have to be illuminated?

You will get pulled for it and you will get fined. People get fined for 3/4 plates, let alone a foreign plate.

Edit: 5 minutes of googling and looking at a Class 4 (car) MOT testers manual shows this: Registration plate lampsare required to illuminate the rear registration plate.

Here is the link to the testers
manual. It is under section 1.1.
http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

Thanks very much... All cleared up now, I decided not to do it. Thanks for the detailed and unbiased reply, though - much better than SOME of the replies on this thread.