ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing water pump.

Clio 172 RS ph1
Hi guys,
My water pump failed this week, it's leaking and I discovered it's the original one, never replaced, so ordered water pump, aux belt kit, and Renault type D coolant.
What I need for the job?
What's the easiest way to do it?

Cheers,
Daniel.

Clio 182
Jack the car up and remove the drivers front wheel.
Remove the arch liner. Find it easier.
Remove the undertray if you have one.
Remove the front bumper.
Remove the drivers side headlight.
I slacken the water pump pulley bolts with the belt still on. 10mm I think. But don't remove them.
You are going to need a large jubilee clip to compress the spring on the tensioner.
It makes it easier.
I always turn the engine over by hand and remove the belt by winding it off.
Place a jack under the sump to take the weight of the engine.
Remove the engine mount.
Fully remove the water pump pulley.
The pump is held on by E8 or E10 torch bolts. Then remove the pump takes a bit of fiddling. Remove the gasket and clean the area up where the old gasket was.
Then refit it all.
With the belt you should be able to turn the engine by hand and the belt should go on. This is how I do them and never had a problem.
Hope this helps. Been a while since I did one.

Clio 172 RS ph1
Thanks a lot Matt, will do the job when all the parts will arrive, should I add some silicone with the water pump gasket? Or just leave it as it is?

Clio 182
You can do buddy. But I don't normally as long as the surface is clean it will seal.
Make sure you place the new pump in a bucket of water to lubricate the seal which is inside the pump. If you don't do this then you run the risk of the seal tearing this is because the engine coolant is the lubricant for the seal. And by turning it dry they can tear.

Clio 172 RS ph1
As the parts on the way, thought that I will remove the belt to save time, used jubilee clip, but couldn't take the belt off, how do I turn the engine by hand?

Clio 182
Use a 18mm socket and ratchet buddy. And turn the engine over whilst pulling the belt across with a screwdriver and it will slowly come off.

Clio 172 RS ph1
removed the belt, there is a chance that the bolt of the tensioner is longer ? it get stuck between the engine and side frame...

Clio 172 RS ph1
4b1170027ee38259daca8149eafb8bcb.jpg