ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RESPECTABLE stripping...

Clio sport 172
had a search and read up searching 'stripping' and noticed people have seen noticeable differences after losing that extra weight...

Is there, or has anyone stripped there clio's where they have also had a noticable difference but not having wires here there and everywhere and looking so to say 'untidyish' ... anyone stripped and carpeted?

cheers, all comments welcome

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
A tidy stripped car :)

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...82-Track-Car&p=6901945&viewfull=1#post6901945

IMG_4273.jpg

Clio sport 172
that is pretty DAMN SICK!!! but its the whole rattley sound if you get where im coming from? ( i know its a clio) is stripping and carpeting an option? not so much weight being put back in, not as much as rear bench i would imagine?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Dont bother if its a daily, you only have to look on here to see how many people strip them, then get pissed off with them lol

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
that is pretty DAMN SICK!!! but its the whole rattley sound if you get where im coming from? ( i know its a clio) is stripping and carpeting an option? not so much weight being put back in, not as much as rear bench i would imagine?

If you stripped it properly, what could rattle? ;)

Clio sport 172
very true!! but you know what i mean very 'tinny' feels like your sliding over gravel on a biscuit tin!!

This is what mine is like at the moment: (but the door cards have also gone since the photo)

DSC_2322.jpg

It's not quite my daily, but I use it a lot. Doesnt bother me in the slightest. Comfort and practicality mean f all to me tbh, hence why I did it....as well as it being a track orientated car of course!

My advice, if you're going to do it, do it properly. What I've done is still usable, all the heaters etc are still there, but I have taken the cd player and speakers out.

Just don't be one of those idiots who take their spare wheel out and say they've stripped the car! Always lol at that!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I think it depends if you have buckets. If you do then there is no point having rear seats so you may aswell do what the guy you posted has done. Neatens it all up :)

Clio sport 172
looks like i may have to eventually go hardcore then!! hope its not as unbearable as iv been reading!

Stagecoach Ticket
All of nothing buddy unless you do what jenic has done the weightloss wouldent really show much difference with the rear bench gone and replaced with carpet you would be able to tidy it alot by removing the lot then sanding down and painting the inside

For me, the only time it gets a bit loud is 70-80+ mph. Around there you do have to almost shout to have a conversation!

I love it though, I can get my bikes in the back, and I can fit all my photography gear in too. Couldnt do that when standard :)

Evo 8 MR
Only take the back seats out if your fitting bucket seats.

Only strip the whole lot out if your fitting a cage and harnesses.

Else don't bother.

E63, 172 track toy
Only take the back seats out if your fitting bucket seats.

Only strip the whole lot out if your fitting a cage and harnesses.

Else don't bother.

I am going the caged/buckets/harness route

But I disgree, the car feels way more lively from stripping the interior. just waiting on the new bits to arrive now.

Evo 8 MR
I am going the caged/buckets/harness route

But I disgree, the car feels way more lively from stripping the interior. just waiting on the new bits to arrive now.

Of course it will but safety is important which means a full cage and harnesses are needed.

E63, 172 track toy
Of course it will but safety is important which means a full cage and harnesses are needed.

I agree,

But if you are looking for an extra bit of poke, for free, then its just as safe as any non stripped car, assuming you dont have any sharp edges..

320d
I couldn't live with a fully stripped out car. I had no idea how many stones flick into the arches until I went out in a stripped car.

Personally i'd leave the sound deadening in, and if I was to get a cage and harnesses i'd still use carpet. It may not be the lightest option but for the sake of a few extra kilos i'd rather have a car thats reasonably comfortable.

E63, 172 track toy
I couldn't live with a fully stripped out car. I had no idea how many stones flick into the arches until I went out in a stripped car.

Agreed! There are so many new noises you think "aagh, has my engine just fallen out"

S4 Avant
I don't think any one has a clue about how tiring it gets, driving a stripped out car with buckets etc...

The noise the exhaust makes means you can't hear anyone talking in the car
Every stone that flicks up sounds like somethings fallen off or broken
You have to de-ice the inside of the windscreen in winter, and condensation forms on the inside of the roof, dripping on you as you drive.
You can't carry passengers (obviously) nor can you really take any one anywhere, without them thinking you're a tw*t for taking everything out of the car.
Ever tried wearing a suit and driving in bucket seats? I don't fancy that one.
....and at 10am on a Sunday morning, when you're really hungover and need to sleep, but have to drive somewhere, you have nothing but deafening noise and uncomfort.

Then again, I suppose you've saved 150kg and can boast to your mates down the pub y0.

Last edited:
  A moody 182
I don't think any one has a clue about how tiring it gets, driving a stripped out car with buckets etc...

You have to de-ice the inside of the windscreen in winter, and condensation forms on the inside of the roof, dripping on you as you drive.
You can't carry passengers (obviously) nor can you really take any one anywhere, without them thinking you're a tw*t for taking everything out of the car.
....and at 10am on a Sunday morning, when you're really hungover and need to sleep, but have to drive somewhere, you have nothing but deafening noise and uncomfort.

Then again, I suppose you've saved 150kg and can boast to your mates down the pub y0.

love the reason for editing....

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Ditto all of the above.

Except the windscreen ice thing, mine's never suffered.

Just take a look at some recent threads on the topic on here; it's a norm to strip a car silly and call it a track car, which is fine - but more often and not they are in fact daily drivers & never even see a tracks curves.

Cue shortly afterward a fed up owner looking to sell up. I only know one person that lives daily with a proper stripped car (apart from you mark^) and I'm talking everything removed - even down to the sounddeadening behind the dashboard - how he does it I have no idea, total sensory overload on the way to tesco!

I'll admit mine isnt fully stripped, but it's not too far off either! I have to disagree with those points. It doesn't bother me at all, not even on our euro trip which was over 2000 miles! Ask anyone on the trip, no-one complained about the car at all.
Yes you cant carry passengers....but I can fit two mountain bikes in the back with ease, and all my photography kit too. Couldnt do that standard.

I've never once thought about changing back to standard, in fact Im still thinking what else I can take out of it! I guess it's not for everyone though!

340i

Then again, I suppose you've saved 200kg and can boast to your mates down the pub y0.

Are you talking about me Dave? ;)

TBH the comfort didnt bother me, I drove my FULLY, man spec stripped out 172 to work and back in formal attire for almost 1 year and all through Winter.. yes its a royal pain in the arse when your windscreen is iced over both sides and the inside of the roof :dead: and that its acutally colder inside the car than outside LOL.

yes its "quicker" than a standard car, but you've gotta be pretty dedicated to run a fully stripped, bucket seats, harnessed car on the road..

IMO fully strip or don't bother, seriously you will not notice the difference of "just" taking your rear bench out in your 1.2 Clio LOL.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Agree with above. Fcuk stripping a road car...like really! The gains are minimal and you're making a povery spec clio into an even more poverty spec clio!...Pass.

IMO fully strip or don't bother, seriously you will not notice the difference of "just" taking your rear bench out in your 1.2 Clio LOL.

I agree, however if you fit a set of buckets & remove the rear seats in a ff 1*2 you are removing around 50kg I would expect for minimal work - well in line with a weight saving that a manufacturer would class as a 'special' light weight version ;)

340i
exactly... the standard "FF" 172 seats are 32kg each iirc?

Rear bench 30kg?

But then you may aswell go further and take all the plastic and trims out ;)