ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Respray

Renault Scenic 182
I paid almost 2k to have two sides, a bonnet and a bumper painted. And I can still pick flaws with it if I felt like it.

If someone quoted me £500 for a paint job, I'd literally laugh in their face.

and my point exactly, you paid £2k almost for that s**t half a job? price has NOTHING TO DO with quality 75% of the time

vroomtshh

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi
and my point exactly, you paid £2k almost for that s**t half a job? price has NOTHING TO DO with quality 75% of the time

I don;t think you really got my point. I paid that, and I could give you my car for 24 hours and you couldn;t find a flaw in it. I could, but I spend more time with the car than I do with my girlfriend.

I've had paintwork done from £50 to nearly £5k. And if you think you can get a quality full respray for £500, your a dreamer, or happy with substandard work.

I've recently just had my front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts, bonnet, boot lid, door, rear quarter, air intake thing (between the bonnet and front bumper), and my wings sprayed by a friend he said I pay for paint and materials he will do the labor for free. Cost me £110 and the job is flawless :/ Depends where you go and the quality of that persons work imho. Everyone paints differently

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
i gave an honest oppinion of what i used to charge AND was in trade for 2 and half years, not just sitting behind my keybourd dreaming up figures, theres 2 types of paint jobs

2 and a half years? Wow!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
2 and a half years? That's half an apprenticeship.

Evo 5 RS
Yeah the old north/south devide, you pay through the roof for most stuff BUT were onabout average prices and theyre surely cant be that much difference in labour price where bodywork is concerned?

Give me a unit with a booth again and id do it any day, the ONLY reason i gave it up is my little lad was on way and i got offered my old job as a warehouse supervisor back, ie solid reliable income with far less hours, certainly nothing to do with not wanting to do it anymore, quite miss it tbh :(

There is unfortunately, it's all overheads! Some areas more than others granted. Good painters are like gold dust these days tbh.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Not in Scotland. Jeeez what can you learn in 3 years!

Renault Scenic 182
I don;t think you really got my point. I paid that, and I could give you my car for 24 hours and you couldn;t find a flaw in it. I could, but I spend more time with the car than I do with my girlfriend.

I've had paintwork done from £50 to nearly £5k. And if you think you can get a quality full respray for £500, your a dreamer, or happy with substandard work.
r a

NO no no i agreed you wont get a full hit for £500, i said £1200-£1300 was a reasonable amount for a paint and prep job

I've recently just had my front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts, bonnet, boot lid, door, rear quarter, air intake thing (between the bonnet and front bumper), and my wings sprayed by a friend he said I pay for paint and materials he will do the labor for free. Cost me £110 and the job is flawless :/ Depends where you go and the quality of that persons work imho. Everyone paints differently

Thats a VERY good mate, hold onto him for dear life :star:

2 and a half years? Wow!

4 years and 7 months training being a warehouse supervisor in mean time and then 2 and half years running my own business 6-7 days a week, is this not enough :S sorry if this isnt enough :dapprove: thats finnishing early due to finnishing test peieces early and all tests full marks, distinctions in all parts and best in class for the whole period, 4 days a week not this poncy 1 day a week that most aprentices get to do, and thats while doing 30 hours a week of nights work.

There is unfortunately, it's all overheads! Some areas more than others granted. Good painters are like gold dust these days tbh.

Theyre rare thats for sure, tbqh its an underpaid area of work, my guns alone cost enough, My Deltaylo base's guns, Sata 3000 fine metalics and laquers gun and my devilbliss primer gun come to just shy of a grand and that was trade, add in the cost the replacement cups on the sata gun and the new filters every month or so on that and the Deltaylo's and its alot to earn back just that, and when you think more than half the aprentices ive spoke to had to either pay all their tools cost or atleast 60% its madness when they will only get back a small percentage of the cost of the job.

With out trying to be rude how comes the course is 5 years?

Course can be upto 7 years tbh, you can spend two years learning water based paints alone and different application methods for them, ill be honest i did 6 months of it and realised i was never gonna use them in my own environment, each to their own

work for BMW
To be fair , if I had a cheap clio and wanted a respray, I would pay £550 any day over the 2k.. Even just outer body and a average job , 2k is a lot oof money, may as well just buy a new car

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
To be honest this is turning into a 'Look how much I'm prepared to spend on a paint job' thread... pretty silly. Bargains can be had, as others as backed me up on. I was completely satisfied with my £550 paint job, it seems other people either don't believe it, or are getting annoyed by it, lol. Get over it guys :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Or some people are happy driving around in a car that looks like it was painted by a dog with a brush taped to its ear?

Each to their own.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I knew a lad in college years ago who used white house paint and a brush to paint his 205, don't think he was all there though! Lol

Renault Scenic 182
To be honest this is turning into a 'Look how much I'm prepared to spend on a paint job' thread... pretty silly. Bargains can be had, as others as backed me up on. I was completely satisfied with my £550 paint job, it seems other people either don't believe it, or are getting annoyed by it, lol. Get over it guys :)

Agreed tbh, question was answered in many ways and tbf if lucky like chapster above then could certainly be done cheaper

Check previous work of theirs.
Ask what theyre gonna do for the money.
Are they willing to guarantee it.
When can they get you in? if its next day.. well.. be wary :quiet:
Always go 2 or 3 places for quotes AND oppinions moreso
NEVER just go off a "mates brothers girlfriends brother's" recomendation, you dont know them, they dont have to look at your car, and they dont have to pay the money

end of it really

Wayne

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Or some people are happy driving around in a car that looks like it was painted by a dog with a brush taped to its ear?

Each to their own.

Prove it? It was fine... I was working at various boatyards when he sprayed my car, and ended up helping the guy get a contract spraying boats at Port Medway Marina :) some where worth over £250,000 would they really let someone that was s**t at their job do that?

inferno 182.
nothing! with you on this Gally! ive been doing this for 26 years! you never know everything and always learning!
£500 for a respray? or is that the paint and matirials?
Not in Scotland. Jeeez what can you learn in 3 years!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
£550 was repair of front bumper (spilt after hitting a tree @ 3mph, don't ask!) repair of rear bumper (had dropped and cracked a bit where it attaches to main body) complete outside respray (in case Daniel gets funny) although that did include inside the doors and boot... in Subaru WR blue. Which obviously wasn't a standard colour on a Honda CRX, although it had been previously painted a blue/purple pearl by the previous owner. All paint and materials including in price :)

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Excuse most of the modifications, this was around 8 years. I've grown up since the bodykit phase :) but here's a few months after the spray job...

DSCF0114.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0111.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0104.jpg

Don't mean to rude but lol that is the worst car i have ever seen!!!^^^^^ bet you are glad to be rid of it

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Don't mean to rude but lol that is the worst car i have ever seen!!!^^^^^ bet you are glad to be rid of it

It was fun when I was 20 and bodykits were all the rage! But don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go there again... I bought it like that btw, apart from the wheels. The only kit a CRX should have is a Mugen one :evil:

22113490112_large.jpg

Renault Scenic 182
TBF Kayzee that looks damn smart, i wouldnt mind driving that round myself at all, Martin182 i cant see what your onabout, it looks nice for what is likely to be a lower amount of money, and you clearly havent been car shows and seen the tripe that shows up on these owners club stands, and paintjob for that money looks respectable, you can see the prep is undesirable by the reflection in centre of rear bumper BUT it was cheap and tbf that lad that did it didnt earn that much out of it and if youd spent £4k on a paintjob most people that would look at that particular car most likely wouldnt appreciate it.

Wayne