ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Respraying wheels to black, progress pics...

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I thought I'd have a go at changing the colour of my TSW venoms to black, I decided to start with just 1 wheel. This way I can see if I can get it right to refurbish my TSW Heat wheels. I got off to a rocky start but I'm coming along OK now.

I started by going to halfords and buying some materials:
SANY0037.jpg

Then of course got out a wheels, looking like so:
SANY0035.jpg

I set off sanding but stupidly used an 80grit sand paper :dapprove::
SANY0038.jpg

I got some 180grit, then 340, then 1200 hundred and finally some 1500 on it which helped a little bit:
SANY0039.jpg

The 1st coat of primer was very worrying though, this is after wet and dry with 1500:
SANY0043.jpg

SANY0044.jpg

unphased I have put a 2nd and 3rd coat of primer on to help out and its coming along nicely now:
SANY0046.jpg

Just sprayed a coat of primer inside the wheel ready for the black to go on, will update once the black has been sprayed on there as Im running out of time now. Any tips on getting the finish right share them please...

Punto/Clio GTT
P80 on wheels? f**king hell mate, thats gonna sink like a mofo after a few days/weeks.

sand it RIGHT back with P180, then P320, dont try load it up with primer as it will look terrible once its cured.

primer it, and then dust some of your black spray over it as a guidecoat (basically it sinkys into cracks, blemishes, scratches and showes what areas need sanding more).

then primer it again to make sure.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Looks like you caused yourself a bit of work there with the 80 grit , as you discovered , lol .

Plenty of thin coats of black until your happy with the finish . You shouldn't need to sand the black if you don't get any runs . Then get your lacquer on , at least 3 coats imo , too thick and the lacquer will run , too thin and it can go a bit cloudy . If you can do it in shed with heating it would be better , it'll help the paint / lacquer cure a bit faster between coats .

You can always wet sand the final coat of lacquer if needs be , i'd use 2000 grit , then polish with some meguiars scratch x .

Good luck :)

Punto/Clio GTT
and p1500 should only be used on blemishes in laquer, pretty pointless wet flatting a wheel with anything higher than P1200 wet or P320 dry as the primer covers it anyway.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
haha the P80 was a huge mistake so I spent about 2 hours going over it with finer sand paper. The primer highlighted some of the worse areas so I took my time with the 1500 wet sanding it. The 1st coat of black just gone on and the scratches cant be seen, just getting the paint on the inside of the spokes is a pain in the arse without it going on there uneven. Should of tried an easier wheel I think...

Punto/Clio GTT
haha the P80 was a huge mistake so I spent about 2 hours going over it with finer sand paper. The primer highlighted some of the worse areas so I took my time with the 1500 wet sanding it. The 1st coat of black just gone on and the scratches cant be seen, just getting the paint on the inside of the spokes is a pain in the arse without it going on there uneven. Should of tried an easier wheel I think...

see thats why its gonna sink. if youve P80'd something, you wont get rid of the scarcthes with fine sandpaper, you cant jump more than 2 grades (well you can if you want sinky paintwork with scratches in the basecoat.

P80 then P180 then P320 to get rid of the major scratches.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
see thats why its gonna sink. if youve P80'd something, you wont get rid of the scarcthes with fine sandpaper, you cant jump more than 2 grades (well you can if you want sinky paintwork with scratches in the basecoat.

P80 then P180 then P320 to get rid of the major scratches.
Dang, I spent a long long time with the 180, then went to 320 and went over everything. I guess I'll just have to see. The 80 did a good job of taking the rust of the inside though :D

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Well I've just put the 2nd coat of black on and its looking good now. The primer I used is a 'filler' primer so it should help it, or so motor-world monkeys say. If it fails on this wheel I'll try again and learn the lesson for next time.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Update:
1st coat of Gloss Black:
SANY0048.jpg

SANY0049.jpg

2nd Coat:
SANY0050.jpg

Final Coat:
SANY0051.jpg

SANY0052.jpg

So now I have to wait until tomorrow morning when the weather is good and spray a couple of coats inside the wheel, then I can Laquer. So far I'm impressed with my efforts.

Punto/Clio GTT
good chance it will sink, it looks fine freshly painted, its a nice flat finish but then once its given time to settle into cracks and pours it shows everything, they look good now though mate, so fingers crossed it dont.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
^ Fingers and toes mate. I would expect my 1st attempt at this to go much worse though, so in a way making the mistake was good as I can learn from it.

Not bad mate, i did the same the first time i did a set of wheels jumped straight in with the rough stuff!

Here are my current wheels that i did a bit ago...

100_1256.JPG

100_1286sml.jpg

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Gavs wheels or mine? Gavs look very nice, good job mate.

Heres the pics of my wheels finished and lacquered. Some of the scratches can be seen through the paint but with the colour choice you have to be looking for them, so whilst its not perfect Im happy with my 1st attempt:

SANY0053.jpg

SANY0054.jpg

SANY0055.jpg

SANY0056.jpg

SANY0057.jpg

RB 182 Cup
you have missed the bits in the bolt holes. Apart from that you have done an alright job :)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
you have missed the bits in the bolt holes. Apart from that you have done an alright job :)
Yeah I noticed that, hopefully it willy be less obvious when the bolts are in otherwise some masking tape and a quick spray should do the job.
Cheers guys, I think the black makes them actually look quite good :D

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
shouldnt spray in the holes, theres a chance the bolts can come loose on the paint apparently, should just have the bare metal inside the holes mate.

wheels look good, nice one