ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rev limter cutting in to early?

Clio 172 cup
Hello, i had a broken throttle body on my 172 cup - was causing it to run bad and keep stalling and also the rev limit would cut in too early when driving to the red. so i bought another. Fitted it and the car is running like new but the rev limiter still cuts in too early about 500 rpm too early... any ideas?

Last edited:
Re: Rev linter cutting in to early?

It's because the engine is detecting it's about to blow up. If you search there are plenty of topics on this. New engine time.

Clio 172 cup
Re: Rev linter cutting in to early?

It's because the engine is detecting it's about to blow up. If you search there are plenty of topics on this. New engine time.

it's only done 42k fully serviced and i recently serviced it....

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
There will be a log of the old broken throttle body in the ECU, even though you have fixed it, the ECU still has this log, get it plugged into a diagnostics machine and get it cleaned, will be back to normal :)

Clio 172 cup
There will be a log of the old broken throttle body in the ECU, even though you have fixed it, the ECU still has this log, get it plugged into a diagnostics machine and get it cleaned, will be back to normal :)

aaagh! makes sense. Would any garage have this or would it be a renault only job?

R5 GTT EFI Clio.
Renault can obviously do it, but most of my local garages have a diagnostics machine which have all the adapters for different cars, just try a local garage you can trust :)

Clio 172 cup
I know i'm bringing up an old thread but I soon realised (i know im going to sound stupid saying this) i wasn't letting the engine warm up enough it seemed. These engines do take a while dont they, or is it just a charecteristic of my car? Once it gets nice and warm in revs to the maximum RPM. The temp gauge goes up to the normal level pretty quick but I guess its got to be at a certain point to "rag" it fully..

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
I know i'm bringing up an old thread but I soon realised (i know im going to sound stupid saying this) i wasn't letting the engine warm up enough it seemed. These engines do take a while dont they, or is it just a charecteristic of my car? Once it gets nice and warm in revs to the maximum RPM. The temp gauge goes up to the normal level pretty quick but I guess its got to be at a certain point to "rag" it fully..

15 mins IIRC

ph1 172... Sold:(
The limit is dependant on oil temp, not water temp. It takes a little longer to warm the oil thoroughly, so even when the temp guage looks good the oil may still have a way to go.

If you drive it a bit harder it'll warm up a bit quicker, but I'd try and keep it from hitting either limiter if poss.

Golf GTD Mk7
once the water gauge is horizontal, start to rev a bit more and the oil will soon get up there. 15min should be enough.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Should have put oil temp and pressure sensors in the RSs like the Williams. I think some would be suprised at the length of time to heat up and the pressures when cold.

I do think the rev limiters air on the side of caution as I booted my old 172 where the Williams would be upto 80dc and the limiter cut in early. I was quite suprised.

Clio 172 RS2
^^^ That's what i keep telling... missing those gauges.
Still a full synth 5W40 oil WILL be up to temperature quickly to protect and to serve!

Rev limit is built into the ECU. Cutting off @ aprox. 6750 Rpm.
With a re-map she'll rev freer!

The limit is dependant on oil temp, not water temp. It takes a little longer to warm the oil thoroughly, so even when the temp guage looks good the oil may still have a way to go.

If you drive it a bit harder it'll warm up a bit quicker, but I'd try and keep it from hitting either limiter if poss.

FAIL

It's based on coolant temperature

Coolanttemp.png

Clio 172 cup
well i'm glad it has been cutting in, i guess its stopping any damage of me pushing it when it's not hot enough.