ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rim size? Please explain a bit.

Artic 182FF
Excuse my ignorance or lack of understanding or whatever but I always thought that going a bit bigger rim than what was on your car (whatever car i mean, not just Clio's) would give better road holding, more grip etc.

But reading around here, everyone seems to be running 16's or even 15's on there Clio's.

I almost feel a bit stoopid wanting to go a bit bigger than the 16's that are on mine.

All explanations would be muchly appreciated. Thanks.

As far as I understand 15's are lighter and the tyres would also be slightly lighter, and therefore there is less rotational mass for the car to turn. This makes acceleration and turn in a bit quicker. (Technically a shorter circumference of the wheel lowers the gearing slightly which means increased acceleration)

However the main reason is cheaper rubber and a greater selection of track tyres. On the road I am not sure how much people notice.

(*People in the know please correct if I have misunderstood any of the above)

Stripped yozza'd cup
Search mate. It's been covered a hundred times and always causes arguments.

Smaller, lighter rims are better. Better handling, better acceleration, more choice of tyres, cheaper tyres.

It came up a while ago, I posted the formula in there for acceleration/mass. I'll try and find it.

Reducing unsprung weight is the key to the improved handling. Also less wheel weight, less gyroscopic effect, better turn in.

17's look and handle crap on a 172 mate. Don't go above 16's.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
15's are 1,000,000% where it's at.

Having owned a clio on 17's, 16's and 15's, I can safely say that the car drives far better on 15's than any other wheel.

I'm no professional, but the car feels much more "chuckable" on the 15's, 16's felt good, but a little more sluggish and less go-kart like in the corners.

Now Sold :-(
17's on a Clio

1. Look s**t
2. Heavier (unless you spend ££££)
3. Tyres cost £££
4. Slower acceleration
5. Harsh ride

Artic 182FF
thanks for the replies people.

Having looked around the tinterweb, i have to admit you dont see many with rims above 16's. It just seems you dont get the selection at that size.

Think im gonna have to do more searching for suitable new boots for me chariot.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Not unless you have 4-pots, but even then there a few manufacturers that make setups that will fit under 15's.

I'm so so glad I bought 15's. I was torn for a while, but haven't regretted it since.