ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road Angel 2 - Are they legal

RB 182

I know this has been covered a bit before I just want to get this straight.

Ive mentioned to people before about getting one and people have said that in the next year these wont be legal, thus a lot of money for a year or less.

Please can this be verified please.

Yes they are at the moment.

Yes they can be in the future - either firmware update or just turn the laser detection off.

The only bit that wont be legal is the laser detection, GPS based detection systems to located fixed cameras will still be legal, you will be able to turn off/remove the laser detection

Are legal now.

In the future: If the road "safety" bill goes through, all radar-based detectors will be illegal but GPS-based will be allowed.

The idea being that the police can collect their tax with mobile cameras that you cant see and cant detect because theyre not on the GPS database.

Grrrrrrrr

*thinking of a word that rhymes with "underhand munts"*

Quote: Originally posted by White16valver on 02 April 2005

The idea being that the police can collect their tax with mobile cameras that you cant see and cant detect because theyre not on the GPS database.
Common mobile sites show up on GPS tho..

Ford Fiesta

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 02 April 2005

Quote: Originally posted by White16valver on 02 April 2005

Common mobile sites show up on GPS tho..

agree. Think there should be more of them on the database. There are some very well used sites around the UK for mobile cameras.

RB 182

Ive got the add-on for my sat-nav for the speed camera locations but I dont want to just rely on that.

Mk2 Golf GTI

Aparrently if you fit a remote garage door opener like they use in America, it will block the laser signal so they cant detect your speed?

Anyway, how would they know if you had laser detection unless you get pulled?

Id like to see what sort of fine/penalty they would impose

In the road safety bill, theyd give you the same as for speeding.

And bearing in mind that they may even be upping the points for speeding (depending on if they abandon the fixed 3-points and go for a graduated 2 to 6 point thing) you may well get stung.

I guess that youd have to prove it was for your garage door...

RS Clio 182

Does anyone know if the RA firmware updates will prevent the laser detection being turned back on or would someone wishing to continue to use the laser detection be forced to stop using the laser detection part if they updated the software?

Youd be forced to stop using it.. altho, updates dont update the software I dont think.

I know when I got my second one.. it had a different firmware on it.

106 GTi

RA have just launched a new model without all the laser bits on it, I think its based on the one they sell in Australia where laser detection is banned.

http://www.blackspot.com/products/roadangel2gps/indexmain.htmRoad Angel GPS only

According to Blackspot the firmware update will disable the the laser bits totally. This is a different update to the normal database update you do to update locations.

Ford Fiesta

well how is firmware updated then?

I asked them this before and didnt get a clear answer.

The laser can be turned off in the menu so why would they need to disable it via a firmware update?

106 GTi

To insure its 100% legal if the government get there way. Firmware update will mean its not user switchable anymore. They will email you the firmware update I believe.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 05 April 2005

argos are doing these for £329, anybody know of anywhere cheaper please?
halfords, if you have a halfords credit card. think you get 10% off + £10 i think. So that would make it £287.

just applied for one. buy the unit, pay it off. been told if you are pushy in the shop you should get 10% off anyway ......but im doubtful as they have only just reduced it by 70 notes.

was looking on ebay but if something goes wrong you might be a bit stuck + i have seen quite a few posts on here with people havin 1/2 replacements etc..

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

from the speed detectors website...............

Road Angel Legality Confirmed ..
This is a question we are being asked a lot at the moment by our customers, driven mainly by press surrounding the proposed “Road Safety Bill” for Parliament.

The reality is that the bill may not get heard in the short term due to higher priorities amongst the 100 or so bills proposed for hearing this Spring. The current parliamentary activity which has been poorly documented in the press, is the first phase to decide if the bill will be progressed. If the bill is progressed, the process then starts to debate publicly and privately what they will and won’t ban, expected to take around 12 months. If that is agreed, it takes 6 months to become law, so the Department for Transport have confirmed in writing that the earliest any change could take effect is the second half of 2006, if at all.

The primary focus is to ban Laser Jammers, as these units prevent the police getting a speed on your vehicle. This is not part of the Road Angel product. They also intend to ban Radar detectors, which are again very different to the Road Angel product. Radar detectors are proposed for banning as they can determine which cameras are live and which are not, effectively allowing the user to speed through inactive cameras, working against the reason for having the camera installed at that location, “Reducing Speed”. In this scenario, Road Angel will remain unchanged and fully legal in it’s current format as it does not include either of these functions.

Secondly, but less likely, they could ban the use of passive laser detection, which the Road Angel does have, but without going into too much detail, this maybe very complicated to ban. If the bill does ban laser detection, Classic Road Angel (The black unit) will require the laser alert golf ball to be disconnected from the unit, making the Road Angel 100% legal. On the New Road Angel, the laser alert is integrated, but can be disabled on the unit by the owner, without intervention from ourselves. If the customer wants a more permanent fix, we can send a firmware upgrade via e-mail to remove that functionality, again making the unit 100% legal.

GPS Camera locators are not under review in the proposed bill and we have written evidence from the Department for Transport to that effect. The Government understand and fully accept the safety benefits of GPS based safety systems. Products like Road Angel warn of danger areas, advising users to reduce speed and be aware of the potential hazard ahead, supporting perfectly what safety cameras aim to achieve.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by mauricewt on 06 April 2005

halfords, if you have a halfords credit card. think you get 10% off + £10 i think. So that would make it £287.

just applied for one. buy the unit, pay it off. been told if you are pushy in the shop you should get 10% off anyway ......but im doubtful as they have only just reduced it by 70 notes.

was looking on ebay but if something goes wrong you might be a bit stuck + i have seen quite a few posts on here with people havin 1/2 replacements etc..
On Halfords website, the RA2 is £399 though???????

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 06 April 2005

Quote: Originally posted by mauricewt on 06 April 2005

On Halfords website, the RA2 is £399 though???????
your right! it wasnt 2 days ago. they reduced them to 329.99 because argos were sellin them for that. wonder why they would stick them back upto 400 ??

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

goin to hang on a month or so, im sure they will come back down again. what a shi*ter, just got my stuff through for the halfords card aswell. i aint payin 400 notes for one, thats for sure!