ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

road angel - laser trap

my road angel has to be positioned centrally in heat reflective windscreen to operate correctly, the laser attachment is mounted directly above.

got targeted by a laser gun (hand held) today and got no alert what so ever, i had been driving dog slow all day, but had this idiot van driver two foot behind pressuring me faster (in a 30), was very lucky i managed to resist temptation and when i spotted it i was reading 30 - 31 0n speedo.

funny how the van immediately slowed to about 20 mph and dissappeared in my rear view mirror - shame he didnt overtake me!

any ideas on how i can get around the dodgy windscreen, i cannot position laser attachment in clear section at centre as its view is blocked by the wipers!

£400 wasted? - been fine in all my other cars the gps part seems ok so far but i havent found any gatsos to try it out on!

Laser will only target you if the old bill think you are speeding. If you were doing the speed limit it is unlikly they would laser you!

Try buying a cheap laser pen from gadget shop and testing your unit

Ford Fiesta

is it a 2 or a RA1?

ive been told the laser isnt affected by anti UV coating... not sure, my road angel 2 is mounted looking out of the clear patch of the screen the sensor is built in as you know and looks out of the top of the clear patch.

see the blackspot website, it should be mounted as low down as possible in the centre of the screen for best results.

bear in mind he might not have fired any laser at you, and if you were less than 200 meters it might not pick it up,

see the blackspot site for details.

Ford Fiesta

laser pen is completely different frequency and so this cannot be used as a test.

laser detector need to be mounted clear of windscreen wipers. Also laser gun could be aimed at number plate, You cna fit a detector external near front number plate. But once unite detects gun it could be too late ( 1/3 sec to react)

500bhp Scoob

as bill11 says, its too late once theyve fired that laser anyway, and theres not a big chance of getting laser scatter from other cars being targetted.

I just see it as if it goes off, expect a NIP thru the post

Ford Fiesta

i wouldnt say expect an NIP he might not have been targeted if his speed appered low, hence it didnt go off etc just have to wait and see.

You could have pulled up and asked him if hed got you.

500bhp Scoob

sorry i meant if it goes off and your speeding then expect a NIP lol

theres just not enough time to react with a laser gun, unless u buy them laser defusers (v. illegal lol) in which case it gives u some time to slow down

ICE'dberg MK2 172

Had this problem myself....spoke to Blackspot who say that unless the handheld is fired it wont read....they implied also that if you werent speeding and they did fire then it still wouldnt alert.

Dont risk trying it out...if you are near to Blackspot thay say just pop in and they will test it with their gun.

Ford Fiesta

i doubt that if youre not speeding and it detects laser it will still go off, otherwise how do magazines etc test the system at standstill..

Alfa Mito 155TB

Hello All

I have a 172 with Road Angel 2 fitted, It works a treat when white scammera vans point guns at the car..it clocked a camera van 2/3s of a mile away and barked out Laser which prompted me to stamp on the brakes...i couldnt even see the van at that time. but there he was at the side of the road with laser camera out of the back..so i went past him slowly at 60mph from 85mph lol

well im sure i was on 31 which they wouldnt usually do you for, also seeing as it was two (car was out of site) standing on pavement, i think they were probably flagging down speeders.

+my actual speed on RA1 i think was around 29 so id be ok, but just annoyed me! where is blackspot located?

Ford Fiesta

redmini shouldnt annoy you, clearly at that speed they probably didnt fire anything so impossible for RA to go off.

next time try going past them at say 60 then it will go off lol j/k.

or park up slightly down the road and wait for them to target another car.

Quote: Originally posted by Mole on 19 September 2004

theres just not enough time to react with a laser gun,
I spoke to blackspot re this. They said to prosecute, they must have 2 readings from their gun, they take the lowest. Therefor, if you get laserd then hit the brakes, they go to get the 2nd reading and you are below, then the RA has done its job! This however can be done in about 3 seconds.