ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road Legal or Trailered Track Car

16v UK Cup Race Car
Trailered - peace of mind.

My rig:

IMG_1019_zps0h9vexan.gif

Attachments

• IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 64
  Clio 172 (CUP)
Me too, hard to find a good deal on a used one at the mo, or my ebay search skills are simply crap. Where else to look?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I gave up looking for a good second hand trailer (the ones I looked at were poop and were top money), in the end I bought new. I reckon the depreciation is very low, so as long as the trailer is kept in tip top condition I'll get a large chunk of my money back.
After much deliberationI went for a PRG sport trailer (as Digger90) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRG-Trail...615063?hash=item33ba38c657:g:UdcAAOSw9N1VgW~Z
Just noticed PRG are advertising a secondhand trailer - https://www.facebook.com/PrgTrailers/

Clio 172 (CUP)
Thanks for the heads up. TBF, I'm starting to think the same way, also want the tyre rack and box, so probably better wrangling a deal as a new purchase and look after it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My PRG twin axle trailer weighs 400kg unladen.

It can take a car up to 1300kg.

If Clio is a 1100kg and trailer is 400. That gives you scope for any tow car with a maximum gross weight of 2000kg. I think that's how it works. Max gross weight of tow car, plus trailer weight, plus load weight - Has to be below 3500kg.

Close... Im 99% sure

The calculation is done on the trailers gross weight "it can take a car up to 1300kg"

I think they do that as if the dvla pull you over they can check your weights without having to go to a weighbridge...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

JohnnyE

ClioSport Club Member
  ITB'd Clio
Mines road legal and used for sprints and hillclimbs, when I do the likes of Angelsey which is 2.5 hrs away and always worry about getting home this must give my competitors who trailor there car a mental advantage well that's my excuse lol.

cpaterson76

ClioSport Club Member
  Supercharged AG 200
I used to drive it there and back, but as we are now chasing times having a trailer gives you that comfort to push a little harder and still have a way to get the car home if the worst happens (breakdown / damage etc).

Mine generally looks like a very clean road car, but It still draws the attention of the police on the road and whilst i habe no reason to worry, as it is road legal (well if I remove the sun strip) it was just a pain getting the extra attention!

I fully understand the comments re road use and problem diagnosis, but based on the collective knowledge of the forum patrons, is that really a big issue???

I know everyone's situation is different, but if it's a daily I can understand driving it too and from, but if it's purely fun track use I would stick with or recommend trailering......

Clio 172 Merc ML55
I/we trailer mine around, as others have said its peace of mind should anything go wrong. Yes it can be a pain to load up after all day out on track but for me its well worth the hassle

Be careful with towing weights though as they go on maximum capacity rather than the actual weight carried at the time. I'm lucky in that my tow 'car' can pull near on 4 tonne (licence dependant)

20160527_210550.jpg

It drinks fuel but will pull all day long without any issues whatsoever

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
We're currently rebuilding our race car after a big shunt ours we're trying to keep ours road legal to test things out. So if it was a trackday only car, I'd 100% make sure it was road legal. We've been to trackdays before and the car hasn't lasted very long at all and it would've been something we could've fixed being close to home.

We obviously have a trailer to tow it around, but I would say to those considering trailering, that trailers themselves really hold their value. So, assuming you can afford to purchase one, it's far better than hiring. All 3 of us are young enough to require the additional trailer license for large loads too. For anyone thinking of chancing it, remember that it's done on the plated weights, not the actuals. So, if the trailer is plated to 1500kg and your car's certified weight is between 1500 and 2000 you're okay. Outside of that, you either have a trailer heavier than your car, or your total is over 3500kg, which a younger license cannot do.

We're currently rebuilding our race car after a big shunt ours we're trying to keep ours road legal to test things out. So if it was a trackday only car, I'd 100% make sure it was road legal. We've been to trackdays before and the car hasn't lasted very long at all and it would've been something we could've fixed being close to home.

We obviously have a trailer to tow it around, but I would say to those considering trailering, that trailers themselves really hold their value. So, assuming you can afford to purchase one, it's far better than hiring. All 3 of us are young enough to require the additional trailer license for large loads too. For anyone thinking of chancing it, remember that it's done on the plated weights, not the actuals. So, if the trailer is plated to 1500kg and your car's certified weight is between 1500 and 2000 you're okay. Outside of that, you either have a trailer heavier than your car, or your total is over 3500kg, which a younger license cannot do.

Yep good way of wording it - I haven't done my towing license, but I can tow a trailer plated to 1520kgs as my E46 320cd laden weight is 1980kgs.

For anyone thinking of chancing it, remember that it's done on the plated weights, not the actuals. So, if the trailer is plated to 1500kg and your car's certified weight is between 1500 and 2000 you're okay. Outside of that, you either have a trailer heavier than your car, or your total is over 3500kg, which a younger license cannot do.

Damn, i've just got a Brian James twin axle trailer for towing to track days. I got my licence in 99 so no B+E entitlement. Based on what you said i can't legally tow my trailer.

Trailer is 500kg and can carry a 2000kg load (1000kg per axle).
My car (2004 BMW E61 530d) has a kerb weight of 1775kg and max braked towing weight of 2000kg.

So that's 2500kg + 1775kg = 4275kg way over the 3500kg limit :-(

WRX
Drive mine to each race. Makes no sense to either hire or buy a 1k trailer, also it's bad enough having one car sat doing nothing for 350 days a year, let alone another big boring car to tow with.

mix

Clio 200 & BMW 330d
I've always driven my track cars but it can be a little draining. Especially if it's at the Nurburgring!

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Damn, i've just got a Brian James twin axle trailer for towing to track days. I got my licence in 99 so no B+E entitlement. Based on what you said i can't legally tow my trailer.

My car (2004 BMW E61 530d) has a kerb weight of 1775kg and max braked towing weight of 2000kg.

Get the trailer re-plated with a lower weight limit, will still be close if you are carrying wheels/loads of gear because you have to account for yourself as well. E46 would actually be a better choice, 1800kg towing capacity but a lighter car gives more margin when towing something like a Clio.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio

If your trailer is plated as 2000kg, that's the number you use, that load includes the mass of the trailer. You'd still be over though I'm afraid, however, you can ask Brian James to make you a new plate showing 1500kg, that way you're basically agreeing to the authorities that the total mass of trailer and car won't exceed that. But as you might imagine, the reality is that if you tow safely, don't have an even load and don't draw any unnecessary attention to yourself, the police won't come anywhere near you as it's really not high on their priority list of rule breaking.

If your trailer is plated as 2000kg, that's the number you use, that load includes the mass of the trailer. You'd still be over though I'm afraid, however, you can ask Brian James to make you a new plate showing 1500kg, that way you're basically agreeing to the authorities that the total mass of trailer and car won't exceed that. But as you might imagine, the reality is that if you tow safely, don't have an even load and don't draw any unnecessary attention to yourself, the police won't come anywhere near you as it's really not high on their priority list of rule breaking.

s-l1600.jpg

1.2 clio dynamique
Not a clio, but mines a road legal drift/track car. After a couple of years of driving to and from events I eventually rented a recovery truck. Took so much worry out of it and meant I could drive it properly without fear of breaking it! Amazing how much it affected my driving!

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk