ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Road trip to Le Touquet Paris Plage, 56K!

Road trip to Le Touquet Paris Plage.

First of all, this is a long read, so well done to those who get through all of it without switching off! Photos are taken on my iPhone, so quality isn’t great.

The cars involved.

1989 VW Golf MK1 Karmman Clipper Cabriolet 1.8. (Jeremy Clarkson’s Car).

IMG_0715.jpg

1986 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5 (Richard Hammonds Car, I’m co-pilot in this).

IMG_0717.jpg

1984 Mini 1.3, recently fully re-built. (James Mays Car).

IMG_0719.jpg

A few months ago, me and some of my mates decided to take their pre 90’s cars on a good run across to France, found Le Touqeut on a map, and booked the ferry and accommodation. Ferry cost £54 per car and accommodation was £290 for a 6 person apartment for 3 nights. Cheap as chips!

We decided on doing a Top Gear road challenge kind of game, where you win and lose points just to make it a little more interesting and to provide some cracking banter. One of the lads’ sisters works for a mask company, and they asked if we wouldn’t mind wearing some top gear masks along the way so they could have a story for the website, we were happy to oblige! I can’t remember all the scores and who scored for what, but I’ll put who won at the end.

We started off on the Thursday night prepping and packing all the cars up. Making sure we had everything we needed for driving across Europe and giving the cars a once over, checking fluid levels and making sure everything was as it should be. After this we deserved a curry, so much food, such a bad idea when going a huge road trip the next day!

IMG_0703.jpg

We set off at 7am on Friday morning for a 12.20pm ferry, it’s around a two and half hour trip, but we gave ourselves extra time with hitting the M25 at rush hour and any breakdowns that may occur. Our first stop was just before the M25 at 9.28am where me (Richard Hammond) and my mate Chris in the Mini decided it was time to have the first beer of the day, bad decision when there is a ferry journey ahead. We then set off with our next forecasted stop just before Dover for some lunch and photos. We stopped a few times in between as the curry repeated!

IMG_0704.jpg

A couple of moving photos of the Golf and Mini along the way.

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

We arrived at the early arrivals services and found a very friendly German man to take some photos of us; he must of though we were mental. Had a nice chat to him about his Porsche 911 Turbo and went and grabbed some food and a toilet stop.

IMG_0710.jpg

Bye Bye England!

IMG_0720.jpg

We arrived into Calais as scheduled and set off, leaving down the A16 with the intention of finding the D940, which luckily we did. Just came off and headed for the sea just outside Calais, and we found it! Stopped off to check the map and find the best route.

Just outside Calais.

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

By this point the Mini had developed its first fault; the brake lights had stopped working, so we went behind it, and the Golf in front. This later turned out to be that a connection had fallen out so was a quick 2 minute fix. The road was awesome, some long straights, followed by some nice twisted downhill roads, just what we were looking for. Match this with the views around and it was a great start to our trip down to Le Touquet.

D940 Road.

IMG_0728.jpg

We arrived into Le Touquet after around an hour and a half of driving. If you have ever been, trying to navigate down the one way streets is an absolute pain! We eventually found it after much bad language and driving round, parked up and settled in. We didn’t have any beer in yet, so settled for a Midori and lemonade (AKA antifreeze).

IMG_0730.jpg

We then set out to explore the town and hit the supermarket for some dinner and beer. As it was our first night we ate in, had a few beers and then set out to the town to see what was going on. It then set in that pre-drinking was a great idea, as at £6.00 a pint and £5.00 a bottle of desperados, it isn’t a cheap affair to get wasted in the bars and clubs! After a few too many scoops we headed back, wallets lightened, ready for Saturday whatever it may bring.

Saturday we headed to the beach to see what was happening and had some lunch and a drink (a soft drink after the previous night). It was surprisingly warm, so we chilled for a while. I got bored and took some Hipstamatic photos.

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

We had heard before we set out that there was some kind of classic car rally happening at the same time we were there, out of pure coincidence we had booked to go on this weekend. And my oh my it didn’t disappoint. There was some stunning metal on show and some extremely rare metal as well! Put a few of the photos I took below, there was an original Ford GT40 there, but I didn’t manage to get a photo as I was too busy messing around, I will get one off my mate and add it at some point. My favourite car of the weekend had to be the blue TVR Taimar, it sounded brutal as hell. At one point the announcer decided to put the microphone to everybody’s exhaust and make them rev, he stopped after the TVR spat a flame at him! Well anyway, the photos.

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0769.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0784.jpg

We then went into town for a beer, and found a little bar, Le Bureau that sold 2.5 litre beer towers, so we hit a few of these and watched the Utd Bolton game, myself and one of the other lads support Utd, so this was nice . It worked out at about a pint each, and cost us 28 euros for the beer towers, so was cheaper than buying pints.

IMG_0785.jpg

It did however tire one of the lads out ha!

IMG_0790.jpg

Whilst sat outside this beauty pulled up, had a nice perv whilst he was talking to his mate.

IMG_0786.jpg

We then went home where I cooked some fresh sea bass, much to the surprise of the rest of my mates. I’m a dark horse in the kitchen; they didn’t know I could cook ha. We then set off into town for a Saturday night to see what the local nightlife had to offer. Many expensive beers were drunk. At one point my mate paid 13 euros for a vodka redbull, crazy!

The £6.00 pints.

IMG_0793.jpg

Sunday we decided we would explore some roads around the area, and did a 60 mile circuit that we found on the map. Saw some lovely countryside and quaint little French towns along the way. Stopped off for some photos and took some along the way which are below.

IMG_0795.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

One of the challenges was to run over my mate Chris’ hat, he wears it all the time since coming back from America, and we won ourselves 10 points by doing so.

IMG_0810.jpg

Monday came, and it was going home day, boooooo. The weather was shocking, gale force winds and rain, not what we wanted to drive back to Calais along the seafront in to be honest. We popped into town for some breakfast, and found something very useful, A CHOCOLATE TEAPOT SHOP!

IMG_0811.jpg

We then set about the drive back and stopped messing around. Loaded the cars up, did some final checks as we did before leaving the UK. Finding out the Porsche was drinking oil like we were drinking beer all weekend and set off on our merry way. The sea was pretty brutal looking, which didn’t look to good for our ferry crossing, we already new before arriving at the port it was going to rough on that boat! Took some photos of the sea and the cars on the drive back.

The sea looking pretty rough!

IMG_0824.jpg

Few snaps of the roads and the cars.

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

In Calais

IMG_0845.jpg

We arrived at Calais at 1.00pm for our ferry at 2.30pm. Then the Golf accidentally drove down the customs declaration isle! They just asked for our passports again, laughed at my mate in the mini and let us through. This is where life started to get hard! We were told out ferry was delayed an hour, so not leaving now until 3.30pm. This became later and later. One ferry came in and we got excited, it then left without us, or anybody in our queue for that matter. Eventually we managed to get the ferry, albeit at around 6pm. I don’t know how we managed to keep ourselves occupied for 4 hours, but we did. We had been told from the UK already that the weather was bad, but the wind on the channel was immense, gusts of up to 70mph! This made the crossing extremely interesting to say the least. Fag breaks out the back were fun………. not.

We arrived into Dover at around 7.00pm UK time where we just sat around with loads of other ships around us, it was not looking good. For the first time since queuing in Calais we were given an update as to what was happening. All ferries had to be guided into port as the conditions where that bad, we finally got off the ferry at about 9pm. Tiredness was kicking in now, we couldn’t sleep on the ferry as it was full of coach loads of screaming school kids who would not shut up!

We arrived at Dover in this light.

IMG_0859.jpg

We got off the ferry in this light.

IMG_0863.jpg

Whilst waiting for the lower level to get off the ferry, this tidy looking motor was giving his engine some revs, much to our happiness. It certainly put a smile on our faces.

IMG_0872.jpg

We then decided to stop at the same services we did on the way here and grab a KFC, they were just closing so we bought what they had and got our eat on. It was dark and windy and we just wanted to get home! But not before one last photo of the cars all lined up.

IMG_0881.jpg

We eventually got home at 1.00am, haggered and knowing we all had work the next day we got straight into bed. It had been a long, tiring and stressful day. Not the end to the awesome time away we had wanted.

The top gear style challenge was always at the back of our mind, and the points were being won and lost all the time. And the Porsche, the car I was in, won by a whisker! Before leaving we were second, after I lost us 5 points for being aggressive. Being woken up and 8.30 am to my mate blaring limp biscuit is enough to make any man snap! We lost 5 points for this, now trailing by 3 points. The mini was miles behind as things kept breaking, each fault was 5 points. We stung him royally by deducting 5 points for each LED in his angel eyes that broke, there were 15 that stopped working!

On the way through France we got the 10 points we desperately needed, for the most dangerous manoeuvre! Wet and slippy roundabouts it rear wheels drive cars are fun, make of that what you will.

We all had a great time, and will be making a yearly occurrence of this trip, next year I’ll hopefully have an E30 325i to join, here’s hoping! I am looking forward to taking the R27 away with some guys off here in a week and a bit though!

Thanks for reading, and well done if you made it all the way to the end! I’ve missed tons of stuff out, but didn’t want to make this any longer than it already is! Any questions just ask.

172, Tiguan
Was a great read. I love threads like this.

I know Le Touquet well as my uncle has a house about half an hour away. It is bloody expensive! There is a nice beach a few miles down the road which is much quieter and a bit nicer.

As well as the classic car rally there is a round of the French national rally championship there most years which is well worth a watch. They corden off the sea front for it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Great read, I hate Le Toquet (purely because it was the first stop on my euro road trip, but upon arriving, my satnav couldn't find it for toffee).

Great read, I hate Le Toquet (purely because it was the first stop on my euro road trip, but upon arriving, my satnav couldn't find it for toffee).

We had this issue, only when we got there though, as we didn't want to use sat nav as we wanted to try and get there ourselves. It's under Le Touquet-Paris-Plage in my Tom Tom. Which means Le Touquet Paris By The Sea apparently. Was full of rich people.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Enjoyed that, nice one! I'm dying to do some kind of road trip.

Gutted on being that penis Hammond though ;)

Enjoyed that, nice one! I'm dying to do some kind of road trip.

Gutted on being that penis Hammond though ;)

This was just something to do for fun, just do it, that's what we did. Found somewhere to go and just booked it.

Well, it did mean I was in the porsche, which is comfy as hell. The mini has no interior and two buckets and has the hardest ride known to man and the golf is a bit noisy as well.

SQ5
Excellent read :)

Much nicer than reading the usual Nurburgring write ups too! I drove to and into Paris last year with no sat nav at all, although driving in France is so easy and relaxing! Even the crap roads are good condition!

I want to do this next year but no mates really wanna go and do anything like this :(

Enjoyed that.... the masks actually had me laughing! (especially "James May's outfit). Loving the classic porsche's in the rally!

Mini Cooper S sport
Good read, and I love the Top Gear-style competition! It looked really good fun :)

I have never seen one of those beer tower things in my life, I want one!

I'm getting the list of all the points and challenges this weekend hopefully, so I'll post those up for you to have a laugh at.

The beer towers were amazing, run out of beer VERY quickly though. It's amazing how much more you will drink not having to go to the bar to get another.