ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rock Band 4

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone got it?
Loving it so far (just bought the guitar bundle). Not played any RB in a few years, fingers taking a beating

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Has anything changed about it? Is it still Wii only?

When the first one came out I was in my teens, and myself and my dad absolutely rinsed it, completed everything on expert, me on drums him on guitar, spent way too much time playing it, pretty much non-stop at weekends, was so fun, but eventually lost interest in it, the pedal for the drum kit broke (they were crap plastic, they always broke) and then it just got thrown away.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Has anything changed about it? Is it still Wii only?

When the first one came out I was in my teens, and myself and my dad absolutely rinsed it, completed everything on expert, me on drums him on guitar, spent way too much time playing it, pretty much non-stop at weekends, was so fun, but eventually lost interest in it, the pedal for the drum kit broke (they were crap plastic, they always broke) and then it just got thrown away.
It was never Wii only? Did someone tell you porkies? :p
Not much has changed, looks a bit sharper. Tbh there was never anything wrong with it to begin with. The play a show seems interesting, get to vote for songs, so that'll end some of the fighting
I'll probably end up with GH:Live too @MarcJP. I have an absolute fucktonne of money tied up in RB DLC though (of which there must be near enough 1000 in the store already). All the old DLC works (with a few exceptions)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
GH lost their way years ago sadly. Their new system looks like a joke- EA's cash cow actually makes sense with the RB series and they've got better with each release although I've not played 4 yet. All they need to do is create a new game with new achievements and make sure the DLC is backwards compatible. Easy.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
It was never Wii only? Did someone tell you porkies? :tongueout:
Not much has changed, looks a bit sharper. Tbh there was never anything wrong with it to begin with. The play a show seems interesting, get to vote for songs, so that'll end some of the fighting
I'll probably end up with GH:Live too @MarcJP. I have an absolute fucktonne of money tied up in RB DLC though (of which there must be near enough 1000 in the store already). All the old DLC works (with a few exceptions)
I played a lot of GH on the Wii / PS3, I've never actually played Rock Band. I might have to give it a shot, I've noticed that it's £30 more expensive than GH though!

Fiesta ST-2
I remember playing cliffs of Dover on GH3? Loved that song, decided to learn it on real guitar [emoji41]

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Don't know if it's changed, but for me the key difference between Rockband and GH was the controllers. Rockband had a guitar with a thin neck and the buttons were the full radius of the fretboard, whereas GH had a big chunky square neck with smaller buttons for frets. Is this still the case?

Also, I'm fairly sure Rockband was Wii only back in the early days.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
GH lost their way years ago sadly. Their new system looks like a joke- EA's cash cow actually makes sense with the RB series and they've got better with each release although I've not played 4 yet. All they need to do is create a new game with new achievements and make sure the DLC is backwards compatible. Easy.
EA has nothing to do with Rock Band now, Harmonix are self publishing.
First RB didn't get Wii support until the year after 360 and PS3, @Jack!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Don't know if it's changed, but for me the key difference between Rockband and GH was the controllers. Rockband had a guitar with a thin neck and the buttons were the full radius of the fretboard, whereas GH had a big chunky square neck with smaller buttons for frets. Is this still the case?

Also, I'm fairly sure Rockband was Wii only back in the early days.
Rockband launched on Xbox 360.

I agree, the best GH controller was the GH4 one. I still have my good one from back in the day (used to gold star many a song!) and will probably keep it forever just incase, I have 2 others buy they are not as good all round quality.

The new GH controller is completely new with 2 rows of 3 buttons, it looks utterly poor and renders all previous content useless so a big mistake on their part too.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Also, the RB one had the smaller fret buttons lower down the neck for solos, that was really handy, whereas the GH had some weird touch pad type thing that you could slide your fingers on?

When it got to the point we were chasing 100% on all songs, you have to use the lower, smaller frets exclusively, because most of the songs didn't allow enough time to go from rhythm to solos for you to adjust.

We have Beatles rock band, I love playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yeah the Solo buttons were an acquired taste IMO. I had a friend that could FC some of the crazy song solos on RockBand (e.g. Constant Motion or Tornado of Souls) with or without the solo buttons. Whilst I'd say I was probably in the top 1% of players (i.e. be able to 5 star almost any song on expert) on that game but this guy was more like top 0.1% (able to gold star any song with a bit of practice)

This thread makes me want to get an XBO just to rekindle my love of that game, but I'll just be a baddie these days. I bet I couldn't pass most of the songs on Expert anymore.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the Solo buttons were an acquired taste IMO. I had a friend that could FC some of the crazy song solos on RockBand (e.g. Constant Motion or Tornado of Souls) with or without the solo buttons. Whilst I'd say I was probably in the top 1% of players (i.e. be able to 5 star almost any song on expert) on that game but this guy was more like top 0.1% (able to gold star any song with a bit of practice)

This thread makes me want to get an XBO just to rekindle my love of that game, but I'll just be a baddie these days. I bet I couldn't pass most of the songs on Expert anymore.
I've been struggling a bit on medium at times :eek:
Not played RB in 2 or so years, fingers struggling!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've been struggling a bit on medium at times :blush:
Not played RB in 2 or so years, fingers struggling!
Yeah I get that. Any time I play these days will be at a friends house as I don't have it setup at mine- always go for my old favourite songs and embarrass myself!! It's all a laugh though. I'd love to have a RockBand Xbox setup in a man cave- drum kit included. But as much as I like to call the spare room a man cave, the woman goes mental when I even suggest taking up more room than I do.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member

Same, on both counts. It would be really frustrating going back to playing on Hard again and having the build up, no one likes to see regression.

I'll only consider it if there's plenty of songs which I assume there are now? And DLC? Is the DLC ridiculously expensive? Back when we had RB1, the songs you got were pretty much all you got, they kept promising more content but it never came - then we started having the artists specials, where it would be about £30 just for 25 songs by one artist - and it was luck of the draw if the artist you liked ended up on RB or GH, GH got Metallica and Van Halen, which were two of the bands you want for playing a guitar game, but being a fan of RB meant we didn't get them, instead we got The Beatles, which was ok, but it's not Van Halen is it?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
@Jack! the DLC is not cheap, but it makes the game. Like @Cookie I have probably spent triple digits on RockBand DLC, but I definitely got my money's worth and over the course of years, it's not exactly noticeable anyway- although coming at it from scratch and building up a collection (especially when you see what's available) could get pricey!!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Same, on both counts. It would be really frustrating going back to playing on Hard again and having the build up, no one likes to see regression.

I'll only consider it if there's plenty of songs which I assume there are now? And DLC? Is the DLC ridiculously expensive? Back when we had RB1, the songs you got were pretty much all you got, they kept promising more content but it never came - then we started having the artists specials, where it would be about £30 just for 25 songs by one artist - and it was luck of the draw if the artist you liked ended up on RB or GH, GH got Metallica and Van Halen, which were two of the bands you want for playing a guitar game, but being a fan of RB meant we didn't get them, instead we got The Beatles, which was ok, but it's not Van Halen is it?
DLC is £1.59 per song, but there are packs which are a bit cheaper

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I used to love Beatles rockband, I actually got semi good back then, i.e not instantly fail expert songs.

I never figured out the best way of moving my hands on the buttons, my little finger would always die a death and let me down!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
DLC is £1.59 per song, but there are packs which are a bit cheaper
£1.59 per song, Jesus!

I guess it's not that much in the grand scheme of what singles used to cost or do cost on iTunes or whatever, but I can imagine you would very quickly rack up a large bill with "ah, it's only another £1.59, I'll have that one too".

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
£1.59 per song, Jesus!

I guess it's not that much in the grand scheme of what singles used to cost or do cost on iTunes or whatever, but I can imagine you would very quickly rack up a large bill with "ah, it's only another £1.59, I'll have that one too".
Yeah, couple of hundred quid later :eek:

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I used to love Beatles rockband, I actually got semi good back then, i.e not instantly fail expert songs.

I never figured out the best way of moving my hands on the buttons, my little finger would always die a death and let me down!
That was the one single advantage to being able to play a real guitar - my little finger is as capable as my other ones...