ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rota Wheels...

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Are £400's worth of team dynamics going to be better made than £400's worth of rotas? Both similar prices, both round things you stick rubber on, yet no one worries about the quality of team dynamics...

Not being funny lad, but don't bring time attack in to it then u fool!!! You can't use something that gets the parts for free compared to road use... If that's the case... Jgtc most cars run rays wheels and Alcon or ap brakes.... But time attack is better right??? Time attack in other countries don't use rota or ks**t don't be such a tw*t that just because u bought it that makes it ok lol...

Time attack in the uk won't advertise how many wheels and calipers and shocks they go through and in what space of time....

No they are equally as s**t. But! They don't copy other companies!!!

Oh dear now you are just clutching to straws...

I suppose the only reason this car runs Pro Race alloys is because they are cheap right? 180-200mph car cheap crap wheels?? Hmmmmmm.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?601849-NSX-Update

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Indeed... Ants cars where he spent ££££'s on the cars and engines... Then put cheep wheels on is like buying a Rolex.... Then super gluing plastic diamontes on the watch....

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Without sounding offensive, purely as an observer, I just find it interesting that the people with the cheaper/older Jap cars seem to justify the price of originals, and the people with the expensive newer jap cars love them.

All the new Evo's and Scoobies roll on Rota's round here?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
No they are equally as s**t. But! They don't copy other companies!!!

If that's the case why doesn't everyone with 1.2's or whatever they're called on here get flamed for having awful quality, dangerous wheels?

The fact is that all of you "scene" boys don't like people having copies on their cars, it's not REALLY about the quality. It's fine to not like the fact that people are rocking around on copies of your £20,000 wheels but you need to remember that not everyone's scene and some people (K-dog below) just want a nice looking motor.

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the epic wheels you lot have on your motors, and really can appreciate the ££ the cost, but it's just a niche market.

182, 6r GTi
If you can't see what shameless theft of intellectual property they commit in order to sell wheels do you want me to post up some comparison shots of their blatant rip off attempts of other quality brands of wheels?

its ok i know what ones are copied et most of them in fact, i was kind of agreeing with you but ok

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Without sounding offensive, purely as an observer, I just find it interesting that the people with the cheaper/older Jap cars seem to justify the price of originals, and the people with the expensive newer jap cars love them.

All the new Evo's and Scoobies roll on Rota's round here?

With the purchase of my car I have spent 25k+ on my cheap/older jap car... It runs 500bhp at the wheels.... I would much rather my old cheap shed with my genuine real wheels that will easily spank a new scooby or Evo... But yeh good input ass hat

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh dear now you are just clutching to straws...

I suppose the only reason this car runs Pro Race alloys is because they are cheap right? 180-200mph car cheap crap wheels?? Hmmmmmm.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?601849-NSX-Update

No you are clutching.... I know robs other nsx has stupidly amazing wheels on it.... There for you loose.... Like how u avoided the xs power question... Joker,

I don't understand your argument. Ant wasn't talking about Robs other NSX, he was talking about the one pictured. With TD wheels on it. And its as close to a supercar as can be. IIRC, the wheels have never fallen off or disintegrated at 44mph.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
If that's the case why doesn't everyone with 1.2's or whatever they're called on here get flamed for having awful quality, dangerous wheels?

The fact is that all of you "scene" boys don't like people having copies on their cars, it's not REALLY about the quality. It's fine to not like the fact that people are rocking around on copies of your £20,000 wheels but you need to remember that not everyone's scene and some people (K-dog below) just want a nice looking motor.

Don't get me wrong, I love some of the epic wheels you lot have on your motors, and really can appreciate the ££ the cost, but it's just a niche market.

There is nothing wrong with team dynamics quality.... They are a quality wheel... Made in the uk to original designs.... The bit that annoys me about them is the "lightweight" badge they carry.... My enkei's with rubber on weigh a small amount more than a team dynamic without rubber lol... Not really lightweight!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
I don't understand your argument. Ant wasn't talking about Robs other NSX, he was talking about the one pictured. With TD wheels on it. And its as close to a supercar as can be. IIRC, the wheels have never fallen off or disintegrated at 44mph.
read my reply below yours

product.jpg

torque_1.jpg

work.equip03-gld_d.jpg

flashback_2.jpg

Volk%2520RE30%2520B__54090_zoom.jpg

svn_5.jpg

spoonsw388.jpg

slipstream_5.jpg

RG2_GOLD.9798.jpg

rms_2.jpg

26736MUGEN_M7_RIMS.jpg

jmag_4.jpg

10-2-162127.jpg

grid-2_1.jpg

NTO3MGG.jpg

gk-r_1.jpg

img65303xb.jpg

gt3_1.jpg

Bored now but you get the picture...

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
No you are clutching.... I know robs other nsx has stupidly amazing wheels on it.... There for you loose.... Like how u avoided the xs power question... Joker,

Ha ha ha ha yeah that's right!

Somehow I think your 500atw RX7 would get it's arse handed to you on a plate vs a 500atw Evo round a track!

[youtube]jv4m41viy4I#t=1s[/youtube]

I'm guesing this is not you? Well I hope not! And no I would not put a XS turbo on my car but tbh that's not really what we are talking about.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
With the purchase of my car I have spent 25k+ on my cheap/older jap car... It runs 500bhp at the wheels.... I would much rather my old cheap shed with my genuine real wheels that will easily spank a new scooby or Evo... But yeh good input ass hat

As I said, I wasnt trying to sound offensive, was just making an observation, but you obviously took it the wrong way...

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Snore, this still going on?

I remember when it wasn't cool to hate Rota's, iirc Chris wanted some on the clio years back?

That they're damn good copies? :eek:

No, that they wouldn't have a business if it wasn't for blatant copying of other companies designs, companies that invest a fortune in R&D, manufacturing and quality control. Their costs are tiny and they know the wannabe's who know the brands will go buy their volks etc stickers and try to pass them off as the real deal and for those who don't know about the original brands they've copied a good looking wheel that will sell to the uneducated.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Ha ha ha ha yeah that's right!

Somehow I think your 500atw RX7 would get it's arse handed to you on a plate vs a 500atw Evo round a track!

[youtube]jv4m41viy4I#t=1s[/youtube]

I'm guesing this is not you? Well I hope not! And no I would not put a XS turbo on my car but tbh that's not really what we are talking about.

That was a retarded American that used Ali wheel nuts of a wrong pitch and threaded them lol... So that vid means nothing....

And a 400bhp rx7 was the record holder at the Tsukuba touge track beating much more powerful evo's/skylines and many others time and time again....

And the xs power turbo is fine to compare lol!!! It's a copy of a Garret turbo... Which falls apart like rotas lol.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
No, that they wouldn't have a business if it wasn't for blatant copying of other companies designs, companies that invest a fortune in R&D, manufacturing and quality control. Their costs are tiny and they know the wannabe's who know the brands will go buy their volks etc stickers and try to pass them off as the real deal and for those who don't know about the original brands they've copied a good looking wheel that will sell to the uneducated.

and? isnt that someones perogative?

immoral to copy from the companys point of view but theyre making money...

and? isnt that someones perogative?

immoral to copy from the companys point of view but theyre making money...

As has been said earlier on in the thread do you/would you buy market copies of branded clothing and footwear in an attempt to save cash but "look the same" I'd wager not.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
That was a retarded American that used Ali wheel nuts of a wrong pitch and threaded them lol... So that vid means nothing....

And a 400bhp rx7 was the record holder at the Tsukuba touge track beating much more powerful evo's/skylines and many others time and time again....

And the xs power turbo is fine to compare lol!!! It's a copy of a Garret turbo... Which falls apart like rotas lol.

It was not there to compare, just checking it was not you ;)

As for the 400bhp RX7 that's just one car and one track.

As for the Rotas falling apart mine haven't and a couple of my old cars spend more time on the track than they do on the road with no problems so to me that's proof in the pudding!

They only thing we will ever agree on is the finish + weight there is a huge difference but that does not make them s**t wheels.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
As has been said earlier on in the thread do you/would you buy market copies of branded clothing and footwear in an attempt to save cash but "look the same" I'd wager not.

if i couldnt afford the premium brand then id buy the cheaper yes

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
To add to ant's video....

Evo running rotas lol

Last edited by a moderator:
  Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I can agree entirely with the Clothing aspect, HOWEVER, I can imagine a fake pair of Gucci jeans been very poorly made.

I cant Imagine Rota' been badly made in comparison with similarly priced wheels. I appreciated they are not going to be Forged, and not as good as Rays, BUT they are surely more than suffice as a wheel? Is not like they are "cheap" wheels, they are still around £1000 a set with tyres? They are still going to be made to various safety regulations etc??

Fact is, I have no shame in admitting I cannot afford/justify £3ks worth of wheels on a car I paid £6k for. Anyone who can (IMO) needs there head looking at. I wouldnt be the sort of guy who buys them and blags them as the genuine article.

I can see the design issue, but TBH why arent the likes of Rays/BBS etc doing something about this

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Why not buy a better quality item that's not imitating an expensive brand....

But again, this is a genuine question, they arent exactly made in a sweatshop for £10 are they? They are still fairly expensive wheels made to some sort of safety standard.

They are similarly priced to all other Cast wheels?

I can agree entirely with the Clothing aspect, HOWEVER, I can imagine a fake pair of Gucci jeans been very poorly made.

I cant Imagine Rota' been badly made in comparison with similarly priced wheels. I appreciated they are not going to be Forged, and not as good as Rays, BUT they are surely more than suffice as a wheel? Is not like they are "cheap" wheels, they are still around £1000 a set with tyres? They are still going to be made to various safety regulations etc??

Fact is, I have no shame in admitting I cannot afford/justify £3ks worth of wheels on a car I paid £6k for. Anyone who can (IMO) needs there head looking at. I wouldnt be the sort of guy who buys them and blags them as the genuine article.

I can see the design issue, but TBH why arent the likes of Rays/BBS etc doing something about this

Aren't there other wheels that you like the design of though? There are plenty of manufacturers of cast wheels around that don't rip off others designs, plenty of good looking wheels hell enkei's are JDM if you want them to look in keeping with the car and are considerably cheaper than the Works/Volks etc?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Why not buy a better quality item that's not imitating an expensive brand....

because if i want a certain look on my feet for example ill look for the cheapest solution. if i cant afford the premium item.

same as wheels if i want a look on my car then i lookf for wheels i like, if theyre out of my price range then ill buy similar ones for a cheaper price.

i understand your standpoint on the copying etc. but i still dont understand why youd pay 20x more for a set of wheels that look the same if your not pushing the wheels to their absolute limit

Why something of similar money be better quality ?

I'd sooner fit Team Dynamics than Rota's put it that way.

Can Rota boast this.

Approved and suppliers to the following car manufacturers:

• Aston Martin​
  • Bentley Motors​
  • Chrysler Corporation​
  • Chevrolet​
  • Daihatsu​
  • Ford​
  • General Motors​
  • Hyundai​

• Jaguar
  • KIA
  • Lexus
  • Lotus
  • Mazda
  • Mitsubishi
  • Morgan
Renault
Saab
Subaru
Toyota
Triumph
VW Audi

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
On the design/copying front, what do the resident JDM forum geeks think of these?

pf01-large.jpg

They're Enkei (JDM according to the Turk) but to me look very similar to Work CR's...?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

No one is saying you should buy new... Let's compare for example.... Rota d1's

d1_gold_polished_lip__11208_zoom.jpg

Which are a copy of work Meisters or ssr professors.... They even have fake split rim bolts on the rotas.... Now in an 18" with rubber you are probably looking at 1100-1200 quid....

Now for 1000 I can buy a genuine set of ssr professors in mint condition with nearly new rubber....

DSC_0074-1.jpg

They are lighter, stronger... And if I dent a lip I can buy a new lip or barrel lol...

On the design/copying front, what do the resident JDM forum geeks think of these?

pf01-large.jpg

They're Enkei (JDM according to the Turk) but to me look very similar to Work CR's...?

TBH they look half way between CR's and a set of Mugen MF10's but not a copy of either ;)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Let's not be ridiculous now eh, the real thing is not 20x more expensive.

quite clearly an exaduration...

if were talking £700 for a set of rotas or £7000 for a set of volks etc. its 10x more so not so rediculous

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
No one is saying you should buy new... Let's compare for example.... Rota d1's

View attachment 70763

Which are a copy of work Meisters or ssr professors.... They even have fake split rim bolts on the rotas.... Now in an 18" with rubber you are probably looking at 1100-1200 quid....

Now for 1000 I can buy a genuine set of ssr professors in mint condition with nearly new rubber....

View attachment 70764

They are lighter, stronger... And if I dent a lip I can buy a new lip or barrel lol...

Lol now there are some wheels I would not put on my car full stop!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Aren't there other wheels that you like the design of though? There are plenty of manufacturers of cast wheels around that don't rip off others designs, plenty of good looking wheels hell enkei's are JDM if you want them to look in keeping with the car and are considerably cheaper than the Works/Volks etc?

As I still say, I am uneducated on this subject, and I am merely asking questions, not stating my opinion (as I have no knowledge to base one) I think the reason I made this thread was because of the fact all I hear from the JDM Boys is that Rota's are "poor quality and will snap if I look at them the wrong way". I Was merely intruiged as to see if this was fact. TBH Im not convinced there are any issues with the quality of Rotas, I've seen a few pictures over and over, with no evidence or information as to what happened. Likewise, I've seen broken/Snapped/Cracked Genuine Rays Rims, again with no information or evidence as to what happened. I dare say if I looked deep enough, I'd find failures of every single wheel ever produced. I was only interested/concerned by the quality of the wheel, not because I was necessarily a potential customer, but because I am a nosey bleeder. I was curious to see how a company as big as Rota, who are lets facing, selling fairly expensive wheels (Copied design or not, they are far from "cheap") where still in business, when their failure rate was supposedly so high. In all fairness, I've seen nothing to suggest the quality of Rotas is poor, and for every image of a broken/bent one with no history, theres 1000's of happy customers.

I think the main issue with Rota's seems to be not the quality, but its the principle and fact they copy other rim designs. I can appreciate why people (especially owners of the genuine articles) would get annoyed. I can appreciate that 100%. Im by no means rich, and I remember saving up for what seemed like an enternity a few years back to buy a Stone Island Coat which was £899, a collosal amount to me. I saved and bought it and loved it, but I started seeing a few fakes at car boot sales etc and it took the shine off it.