ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rotary polishing for a beginner

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Right so I've never ever used a rotary polisher before, but keep finding myself becoming more and more interested in trying out a rotary polisher, to try and remove some scratches and also all the swirling from my Mk3 Clio.

My problem is this, my insurance is due soon so this will be on a budget, I've been looking at the silver line rotary polisher that seems to have great reviews and can be found brand new for around 45 quid or used for around 30 with some pads.

My question is this really, if I get one of these polishers, what would be some good polishes to get? I've got some autoglym srp but understand that's probably useless for machine polishing. Which polishes would be the best to buy? Preferable as few as possible really but enough to get a good start until later when ill stock up on polishes and pads etc :) Also which pads do i need? They usually come with some don't they so are these alright for now?

My washing technique at the moment is cover in rds, leave for 10 mins then rinse with a hose, wash with a mitt and ag car shampoo, then iron remover and tar remover, wash again with ag shampoo and mitt, rinse with a hose, dry off with a drying towel, then autoglym srp and finally egp.

Thanks

You're better off with a DA instead of rotary tbh. Better for a beginner.

I would recommend a DAS-6 or DAS-6 Pro (£100) if your budget can stretch to it. Menzerma for polishes and Chemical Guys Hex-logic pads. Save up and start with fairly good equipment else you'll only spend more money upgrading.

Cleanyoucar, i4detailing, polished bliss and Shop 'n' shine are good websites to look on. There is also a good guide on detailers world (also stickied in this section) explaining how to correctly use a DA and rotary machine polisher.

Good luck :)

E36 328i
Ethan, I have a DA I'm thinking of selling if you are interested. From memory its a DAS, has a few pads with it and different sized backing plate. Only in Maidstone too.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Yep best starting off with a da, get a few hours under your belt then possibly think about a rotary. Good luck!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Thanks for all the tips guys! Think I'll look at DA's for now, then maybe look at asking for a rotary for my 18th in August when I get more experience :) With a DA, what kind of pads and polishes would I need to look at getting?