ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rough cost estimate...... throttle body clean??

3 Series touring
As im sure you're probably all thinking ^^thats pretty easy.

well apparently the D4F 1.2 16v engine is pretty much the only one that decided to bury the throttle body about 10 miles down inside the engine :(

how much d'ya reckon renault would charge me for a good ole' clean then , cause mine appears to be sticking...causing me all manner of sh1t

Cheers in advance

Ben

What makes you think it's the TB?

As on your engine I would say that 90% of your problems will be coming from the ECu housing munching on the wiring.

3 Series touring
basicly every so often when i start the car, it will idle higher (TB stuck open a bit?)
and sometimes will plummet /not respond when i press the throttle (TB stuck closed/ stuck where it is?)

wouldnt have thought it was pedal potentiometer cause once the car is running its fine...just sometimes takes 2 / 3 goes at it (presumably to free up TB?) i have a K&N filter btw, maybe that where the grime's come from?

Clio Extreme 3
iv replaced a throttle body on a pre 04 1.2 16v for a customer at work before, all the inlet manifold had to come off, and it sits underneath it. Quite a shitter of a job, IIRC the mani nuts and bolts were a pain in the arse to remove..took a while to get everything done. Not sure what a main stealer would charge.

So much easier on the 04- later engines, its on the side, 4 bolts and its off :rasp:

clio trophy No56
basicly every so often when i start the car, it will idle higher (TB stuck open a bit?)
and sometimes will plummet /not respond when i press the throttle (TB stuck closed/ stuck where it is?)

wouldnt have thought it was pedal potentiometer cause once the car is running its fine...just sometimes takes 2 / 3 goes at it (presumably to free up TB?) i have a K&N filter btw, maybe that where the grime's come from?

I know it not a Clio but its French so... It used to happen on my GTI6, there was 2 issues.
1st was the ICV, idle control valve, used to get stuck open or closed so when idle the revs would bounce up and down or it would cut out. Once sorted at idle it was fine.
2nd was when i used to pull up on a corner, roundabout or when i was reverse parking, it used to cut out. This was due to the powersteering sensor being knackered so the ECU wasnt telling the engine to send a few extra rpm to keep it ticking over.

ITB'd MK1
Fairly likely to be the TB, but worth plugging in to diagnostics as these engines can be plagued with faults if you get a bad one. Seen 11 fault codes come up, 8 of which fixed by a new upper loom, and even then it needed all new gaskets on the rocker cover and inlet manifold (big vac leak) Chargeable at about 1.5 hours to remove, clean and replace the TB