ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rough Idle.... anyone sussed it?

Clio sport 172
had my Cliosport 172 FF for about 2 weeks now and since iv had it noticed it had a slight Rough idle, like its very jolty when at a standstill on drive and traffic lights etc.

done a search through CS and noticed there is a fair few threads on this, iv read and read different reasons for why.

Clean air filter
Clean up throttle body
new Spark plugs

anyone had this problem and done anything in particular and actually cured it?

also

whats the procedure for just cleaning the air filter up (standard air box)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Hey im from just outside Ipswich, welcome to CS :) Good to see some other locals as we seem to be struggling with people on here!

Mine is always abit rough on idle as all RS Clios are, I have cleaned up my tb in the past but it does get dirty again fairly quickly. You can't clean the standard filter as such, just replace it with a standard halfords jobby or get a K&N/PiperX/ITG etc panel filter which will last the life of the car, you can then clean this when required.

Dan

Elf

Clio 172 cup
Mine used to be the same
I just have to boot it to redline for a sec I. Second or third
I see some black smoke and then it runs fine for about 5 full tanks of fuel
But something is definafly clogged up

clio sport
I have just commented on another post for this problem - i think it might be blocked fuel pipes or air in the system. It sounds like a common fault

Silver Clio 182
It is the fuel,I'm on my second 182,they both do it,the cars are tuned to run on 98 octane.look on the inside of your filler cap.run it low.then fill up with high octane.you will notice the difference almost straight away

Clio 172 ph2
I thought it was just the std mapping causing rough idle. I've tried mine on both fuel types and it still does it

Also read that cleaning your Camshaft position sensor (aka TDC sensor) helps

Bought a 2004 clio sport with a rough idle problem. The car was cheap enough so worth a punt. The previous owner had tried all the usual things of new spark plugs, coil pack, throttle body, crank sensor. I put my diagnostic machine on the car and it was showing no faults with the car, my machine has the ability to read live data when the car is running so on viewing the data noticed 2 things

1. The map sensor reading was only 20mbar below atmospheric pressure way to high for a running engine.
2. The mV reading on the upstream lambda sensor was dropping to 0 mV when you put your foot on throttle

both these sensors have now been changed and is running sweet as a nut. Idle is perfect and picks up a lot better than before.

So may be worth changing the map sensor at £25 first to sort the rough idle out.

Clio 182 Cup
My 182 has a lumpy idle too. It's so noticeable that people have come to me and said that 'do you realise your lights are flickering?' I'm going to spend the next few days tying to get solve it. Tried using v power nitro but no difference so few questions:

- where would I find the map sensor?
- how can I clean up the throttle bodies? I can't see a guide in the guides section - best to put it in the garage?

Renault Clio182 bean
Mine was lumpy, but once the Cambelt + Dephaser were changed and timing was re-set it idles like any other car I've owned, so this "they are meant to be like that" comments cant be true surely, on idle my needle barely moves