ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rough Idle, Unresponsive throttle.

1.2 16V 2005
Hi All,
Have looked around the Technical Area, cannot find anything that sounds exactly like whats going on...
My Idle is very rough, almost sounds like it's going to cut out. When I press throttle sometimes, nothing happens until it's almost at the floor then it will pick up and then rev really high. It happens almost all the time, can happen at any speed in any gear, but is most noticeable when crawling in traffic. Not very technical with cars at all, more of a computer man! Any ideas? The car was serviced when due which was last December, don't really drive much probably done about 500 miles since that. Passed MOT in Feb, with no issues!

Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Firstly I would advise you stop running the vehicle. Secondly, are there any warning lights on or other symptoms such as poor fuel economy, funny smells, tapping noises, etc?

My initial thoughts/advice would be, if there are no warning lights, to get the vehicles timing confirmed and if that all checks out have it compression tested. If there are warning lights on have the car diagnosed ASAP.

Mick

1.2 16V 2005
No warning lights, tapping or funny smells. The fuel economy has always been around the 30 - 33MPG.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It may need cleaning... if your foot has to go to the floor before you get any response it's unlikely to cure the problem.

Clio Sport 182
I'm lookingninto this exact problem which a few people seem to be having. Is it worse when cold, as if the throttle isnt doing anything, and a stronger smell of fuel if you sit at idle with the door open? I'm now thinking it has something to with too much fuel, as if there is a choke left on or something. I have just fitted a K-tec exhaust today and until my temp is up to normal, the car literally won't rev. Soon as car is at temp, no prob. Automatic choke? I have no idea as i don't know the clio fuelling system, or if it's linked to ecu. Watch this space, unless someone can enlighten me on the throttle/fuelling system on a 182 sport?

182 cup
Had similar problems with my 172 Cup. I replaced the TB for a second hand unit from cliospares and it solved the problem

Clio Sport 182
Well, my car just died on me today. Car was up to temperature. Just dropped power until it was undriveable. Coasted to a stop outside a diagnostic centre of all places! Lol. I've left it with them to sort out. Sick of it!

Clio Sport 182
So, just had a call from the diagnostic centre. Lambda sensor is all to f#$k. New one ordered, hopefully it'll get fitted today.

1.2 16V 2005
Back to this problem, I had engine looked at and car scanned, also Lambda sensor. Being replaced today, hopefully that'll do it!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Similar thing happened to my 1.6. New lambda fitted and it was as good as new.