ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RPM @ 100 mph in 5th

Not sure...

I used to get 60mph out of 3,000rpm in 5th on my 16/205/45 wheel/tyre combo, but now its more like 57mph on the original wheels with 15/195/50 tyres I put on recently.

I think it would be about 4,500rpm in 5th for about 95mph with mine - which is when I can safely leave it in 5th and overtake very rapidly without needing to drop a cog (max torque arrives late on a Valver - even a moded one!). Ive never gone for a real top speed run, but 6,500rpm gets me to an indicated 130mph, although the limiter would kick in well beyond 7,00rpm (if I ever got there in 5th!).

CTR EK9 turbo

Thats interesting because i get an indicated 142 mph at 6500 rpm and thats pretty much flat out on the flat.

I find my cams really come on-line at around 5000 rpm. I guess that makes sense seeing as max torque is reached at 5400 rpm.

I "raced" a 172 Mk2 on the motorway between the Scottish Borders and somewhere near Preston about six months ago - for about 100 miles! We were both being very polite and sensible about it though - no dangerous stuff. Ironically, I was on my marathon drive for the big Southend summer meet.

We never got above 120 - which is when I expect a 172 would leave me (even with my surprise under the bonnet the for unsuspecting) - but it was for long enough for me to be able to see where the 172s "weak spots" are. I thought that my car was definitely a bit faster between 90 and 110 in 5th, but Id have to drop to 4th if we went below 70mph. I guess thats when my car hits 4500rpm (i.e. torque!), while the 172 hits its torque a bit later due to gearing.

All in all, I was very impressed with the 172 and guess that the car has slightly higher gearing than a 16v - which would explain standard top speeds of about 138 and 130 respectively. I dont know what you think, but I reckon 138 is a bloody fast top speed for a small car.

2012 WRX Waggon

too right.....138mph in a Clio.....err no thanks lol, though no doubt Ill have a go.

i bought the car for its acceleration, as i believe its the journey not the destination that brings joy, or something like that.