ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS Tuner / CLIP / Misfire - Nightmare

So I have a misfire at low revs when putting your foot down, or pulling away is the worst, but it clears above 2.5/3000rpm and pulls right up the revs fine, very frustrating...

New parts replaced:
Coilpack
Leads
Plugs (NGKR)
First Lambda (Bosch)
MAP Sensor

When giving it some the car's cat also seems to stink, fueling all over the place by the sound of it.

Connected it to CLIP last night, and it cannot communicate with the cars computers, only the stored faults section

If the car has an RS tuner map (what I was told it had), does it lock everything out apart from the RS Tuner itself? I haven't even got an RS Tuner, are they any good at live diagnostics?

I'm thinking maybe an injector, throttle body? or maybe second lambda?

Thank you!

ooh this is intresting as really wanted to know this thinking of rs tuner mapping both our 172's but worried it will lock out other diagnostic tools as it would be annoying if i get a fault as i work in a garage with decent diagnostic tool and wouldnt be able to use them?
so to clarify if you have an rs tuner map most diagnostic tools will still plug in and read data/codes?

I'm considering just buying an RS Tuner to look into the problem but unsure how good they are at finding faults? Or just lob some new injectors in

True Dan I didn't think of that.. would explain why CLIP reads my vin number as 0123456ABCDEF as forgot I swapped the airbag module etc.. hmmm still have the old one, would that solve the vin number, I hate crap like this

Why didn't we do it :cry: lol?!

It smells rich on start up, and pops/splutters if you blip the throttle when putting the clutch in

Also for example in 4th gear at 40mph, if you put your foot down it'll splutter unless you let the revs rise a bit first or drop a gear

Getting a little tired of ploughing money into it without success, probably something to do with a wedding !

Surely it would show the other vin of the car it came from?

I still have the old one? Perhaps I'll swap it back so it matches again. Never know, CLIP may work then to read it for what the hells going on.

Balls...

Guess it's time for another plug in then, although it's a pretty sad state of affairs not being able to solve it...

Suppose it could be:

Wiring
Knock Sensor
Lambda
TDC?!
Plugs
Leads
Coilpack
Injector
TB
Another sensor
Fuel pump / wiring
Map
Compression / other !!

It's not a massive issue, but for a daily driver, awful!

Pulled the plugs out, cleaned them all up with wire brush and brake cleaner etc...

#1 (Closest the gearbox) and #3, looked dry and slightly powdery white, other two still looked normal ish but still needed a quick clean up

Started up nicely but still there...

Dead injectors leaning it off? Strangely it smells of fuel on start up, but that could be exhaust amplified?!

I'm questioning a few bits, non genuine but new coilpack and leads, and worn injectors...

I ran it on super for a long time but found it made no difference and couldn't justify the extra 5p per litre doing so many miles, so as it still felt good reverted to standard... hmmm

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Injector? My old car had intermittent issues at low revs until one day it totally gave up and idled on 3, replaced the faulty injector and all good.

Mine did show up on diagnostics though, pulled the cables out of each injector to check for sure mind you.

Volvo S60 T5
disconnect rear oxygen sensor and try it then, heating elements inside the sensors short out and cause loads of issues.
dont forget to reconnect and clear code if it makes no difference.

disconnect rear oxygen sensor and try it then, heating elements inside the sensors short out and cause loads of issues.
dont forget to reconnect and clear code if it makes no difference.

Disconnected it, made no difference, but didn't pop a fault code either?

its back to running bad again, the super unleaded trick wasn't so super, although I reckon using normal octane supermarket fuel may of taken its tole :(

Fuel pump & filter / Injector time?

Right then...

Drove the car for 15-20 minutes all upto temperature, disconnected injector wiring plugs, pulled out all the plugs, and did each cylinder individually, whilst cranking full throttle

From gearbox to pulley order:

1: 208psi
2: 189psi
3: 202psi
4: 191psi

From a little research, I thought anything around 190 was healthy enough? Unless people have some exact figures

Cheers

PH2 172
Right then...

Drove the car for 15-20 minutes all upto temperature, disconnected injector wiring plugs, pulled out all the plugs, and did each cylinder individually, whilst cranking full throttle

From gearbox to pulley order:

1: 208psi
2: 189psi
3: 202psi
4: 191psi

From a little research, I thought anything around 190 was healthy enough? Unless people have some exact figures

Cheers
Full throttle?Has your car got cable controlled throttle bodies x4?

It's being able to get up there and not having a car to use, may come to that as he sorted the belts etc spot on :up:

However I'm happy with the compression on a 132k F4R, let's face it, it's probably seen some action in it's time as well!

I've decided to get an RS Tuner, tonight.. !

Will learn how to use it all and get it unlocked etc and try and get some readings and diagnostics

UPDATE:

RS Tuner bought, unlocked, and connected tonight...

It looks as though it is not remapped after all, so at least I'm feeling better about my 95 RON period ! - I have e-mailed Fastchip for confirmation
Disconnecting the post cat lambda did register the other day, but is now a memory fault, not present
Have a new genuine coilpack, 4 x new genuine Magneti Marelli Injectors to try, plugs still look good when I did the compression test
Theres a fair few memory codes to clear, then move onto the present faults, perhaps with some live data and sensor readings!

:astonished:
I
WILL
WIN
!​

FIXED IT !!!

• New genuine Valeo/Renault coilpack to replace a Bremi ECP one I bought a few months months ago
  • New Genuine Injectors x 4, cleaned everything clinically, rail, ports wiring plugs etc. Old injectors looked original and very worn end of life

It then idled and drove at low revs beautifully.... feels so smooth! :smile: :smile:

Afterwards I refitted my carbon canister purge valve (due to fault code), cleared stored codes from having everything disconnected doing the compression test.... and now have no EML, and also FINALLY fixed my shift light, which works!! :smile:

The only thing I can't understand is CLIP not connecting to mine but does to my mates DCI, however it wasn't a very legit version!

Thank you everyone for the help, I searched this forum for hours!

At least now I have an RS Tuner, I can actually give it the map I thought it already had!

98RON Map coming up! :smile:

clio 182 sport
just seen the result mate..glad you got it sorted Chris...know how you felt mate when getting a problem which is a bugger to find....gets you down and feel like throwing in the towel:disappointed:....but you got there in the end mate.....good on you:wink::up: