ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rs tuner query.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'm thinking of getting an rs tuner, my question is why if it's so simple dibdn't Renault put this map or one like it on the car in the first place?

Renault Clio 172 cup
An RS Tuner is a remapping tool, you can do many different maps with it. The reason the Renault Clio comes out of the factory with the ECU mapped the way it is is for a variety of reasons , ...overall performance, drivability, fuel consumption etc , but one of the main reasons the standard map isnt quite as good as it could be is because of the emissions laws . Most MOT emission tests I believe are done at about 4000 rpm and the map is unfortunately set up to take this into account and give a suitable emissions reading. I am sure some of the more expert members on here can give a more defintative explanation but that is the basic gist of it.

Clio 182
It's more cost and time effective to do a broader map for an engine than individually map each car. Imagine the time and expense.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Ok mot emissions but isn't it still good to go through the mot with the rs tuner map on?

And on the idea of it being expensive to individually map each car, I thought the rs tuner map was a generic 1#2 map?

Still want one though!

Ok mot emissions but isn't it still good to go through the mot with the rs tuner map on?

And on the idea of it being expensive to individually map each car, I thought the rs tuner map was a generic 1#2 map?

Still want one though!

It will still pass with the RS tuner map , but you may have to warm it up before hand , although most standard clios require this too, also another reason is Renault didn't map it like this is fuel , a lot of people don't want to have to buy super unleaded , and obviously Renault had to cater for 95ron as well!

I really prefer mine now it's done feels a lot better to drive !

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It will still pass with the RS tuner map , but you may have to warm it up before hand , although most standard clios require this too, also another reason is Renault didn't map it like this is fuel , a lot of people don't want to have to buy super unleaded , and obviously Renault had to cater for 95ron as well!

I really prefer mine now it's done feels a lot better to drive !

Renault specify super only for the 172/182, its got a sticker in the fuel flap to remind you and everything.

They are allowing a lot more headroom though, old fuel etc.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've never really notice much difference with either, possibly slightly better mpg on 98ron. I suppose it's more for the benefit of the engine than me

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Main difference is that it corrects the fuelling from 3.5K or so upto 5K where its too lean at full throttle as standard as it holds the car on the lambda sensor.

Thats what causes the lack of power under 5K, otherwise known as the "5k kick" that for some reason some people on here think is a good thing for a car to have a big hole in power just below 5k.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Just need to find a second hand one now then, no draw backs to an older model then bar the pops and bang stuff?

RB Clio 182
Main difference is that it corrects the fuelling from 3.5K or so upto 5K where its too lean at full throttle as standard as it holds the car on the lambda sensor.

Thats what causes the lack of power under 5K, otherwise known as the "5k kick" that for some reason some people on here think is a good thing for a car to have a big hole in power just below 5k.

I notice no difference in the hole which ever petrol i use tbh, or any difference in perfromance.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I notice no difference in the hole which ever petrol i use tbh, or any difference in perfromance.
I was referring to the difference between rs tuner map and standard map.

95 Ron just hugely increases your chance of your engine dieing sooner on either map. It still feels the same to drive though as 98.