ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS172 help

Hi all,

Im a new owner - I have just bought a 2002 RS172 with only 16k on the clock and FRSH. So far Ive added:

1. Green replacement filter

2. Rear luggage net!! Required for those roundabout smiles!!

3. Front and rear OMP strut - to be fitted, no one mentioned I had to put holes in the bodywork for the front one!! Not sure now?!?!? Rear is simple bolt on!

4. Front 182 splitter going on this weekend

So; here are my questions if you are able to advise me?

1. Is it worth fitting the front strut - if so how easy is it?

2. Do all RS172s feel a bit lumpy on tick over? - I had a Volvo C70 T5 GT before and prior to this an Audi TT 180BHP company car.

3. I want to remove the dash, I found all the screws; 3 in window vents, 3 behind left side chrome trim and 1 behind right side, 2 behind steering wheel cover and lastly the plastic ones each end - I removed the piller covers but it still seemed to be stuck around the passanger airbag area??? Didnt want to force it so put it all back together. I need to access the clocks to change the clock colours to white/blue as on the forum, I also want to locate a rattle coming from the front de-mist vents!! Ive seen you can select this help on the Cliosport site but Im not a memeber at this time - is it possible for someone to e-mail me the instructions? Mny thanks in advance. For the record the/my RS172 would out gun my TT without any problems almost all the way except top speed, but then when can you do that kind of speed anyway?! The Volvo was far quicker once into 3rd gear but this is down to pure torque from the 2.3 high pressure turbo unit - but the first corner, the RS172 would sail by.....Its a fantastic, fun, sporty, small, mad, cheap to run, great looking, scary pocket rocket and I love it so far.

Thanks in advance.

VaVa

Welcome to the forum dude.

All F4R engined Clios (172/Cup/182) are all a little lumpy at tickover. I believe this is due to the cams and the ECU controlling the emissions. I may be wrong on that, but I know for sure they all do it and its nothing to worry about. You may also find it a little snatchy when cold. All normal and again down to controlling the emissions.

If the owners/admin had pulled their respective fingers out of their arses you would be able to sign up for memebership. Im pretty sure someone will sort you out with the guide in the mean time.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

^^^the man is right. F4Rs arent the most strangled-by-emissions engine, but they all have lumpy idle partly due to this.

Try running a chip and cams...then you will know what lumpy sounds like.:devilish:

Another pointer, my Mk1 172 seems to run worse when cold on poverty-spec 95 RON. Try to use Optimax whenever i can

Welcome to the forum.

--chris

Hi all,

Thanks for the help so far, as for the lumpy tick over - this is a great relief. As suggested I only use Optimax.

Anyone know about the torque rating for the rear OMP strut brace when re tightening the suspension bolts?

Any thoughts on the worthwhile of fitting the front OMP strut?

Regards

Rossi

Quote: Originally posted by JonRossi on 29 July 2005

3. Front and rear OMP strut - to be fitted, no one mentioned I had to put holes in the bodywork for the front one!! Not sure now?!?!? Rear is simple bolt on!
1. Is it worth fitting the front strut - if so how easy is it?

2. Do all RS172s feel a bit lumpy on tick over? - I had a Volvo C70 T5 GT before and prior to this an Audi TT 180BHP company car.
The rear ones wont make any difference due to the suspension design back there.

Front one is worth doing its not that difficult to do.

Emmision regualtion measn the engine is lumpy it shouldnt excessive though.

Quote: Originally posted by JonRossi on 29 July 2005

I want to remove the dash, I found all the screws; 3 in window vents, 3 behind left side chrome trim and 1 behind right side, 2 behind steering wheel cover and lastly the plastic ones each end - I removed the piller covers but it still seemed to be stuck around the passanger airbag area
That should be all of them from what I can rem, you just need to pull it forward 1st to unclip it, and then pull it upwars. Dont try and pull it up straight away.