ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS200 CUP Gearbox failure

Clio RS200 Cup
I am or thought I was the proud owner of the RS200 Cup, but now at 28K I am gutted to find that I need a replacement gear box:dapprove: apparently this is a common fault ? surely a car that is only just four years old, not raced and only used for leisure should not be needing a replacement gear box with such low mileage? Can anyone give me any advice please ? Can I expect any compensation from Renault ? Any advice would be gratefully received:(

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Tried calling them? What was the warranty period?

I would call and ask for advice on what to do. It's been 4 years and now you have a useless car. And what can they do to help fix this issue.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
If its in warranty its a case of call RUK & get completed for Free-

If its out of warranty- still call RUK they will get you booked into your nearest Renault garage to diagnose- try & get the diagnosis investigation fee waived.

If you have full Renault history you are looking at around 80-85% goodwill, if its not got that history then I guess from 50-75.

customer service will try to play dumb saying its not a regular problem- highlight the thread on clio 197.net where around 30% of owners have had failed boxes & its a large sample size.

IIRC the jobs around £2600-2800 something like that -

so 80% would = ~ £550.

S

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Go with steve's advice and asap!

This is why i would never buy a 197 or 200, unless of course under warranty but even then still not great :dapprove:

Clio RS200
I cant understand why the rs 200 was never recalled it seem like this is happening to ever other one out there. mine has developed a weird noise when changing gear at high revs so looks like i will be joining you pretty soon :( are you the first owner ?

106GTI / NovaC20LET
I cant understand why the rs 200 was never recalled it seem like this is happening to ever other one out there. mine has developed a weird noise when changing gear at high revs so looks like i will be joining you pretty soon :( are you the first owner ?

Renault will of known about the impending failures but just hoped most would clear the warranty period before they break. That way renault can continue to make money on the 197/200s with 3k gearbox repairs.

I would never buy a clio older than a 182. I mean don't get me wrong the 1*2 boxes are cheese but it's worth a punt when the car is between 1 and 2k and a replacement box can be had for a few hundred quid.

Clio RS200
Warranty aside a product has to be fit for purpose. one would argue that a car that is unable to complete 28K (only 25k in mine) is not so. as R sport cars have just said with enough pressure renault seem to be offering 75% compensation, which kinda is the same as admitting the problem is real.

Clio RS200
as much as i love my rs200 my point is surely these car should not be on the road? and surely people have already written to trading standards, Media ect

Clio RS200 Cup
Hello there and thanks for your reply, I have had a massive riot with RUK and they have now agreed to pay 70% of the total cost for a replacement gearbox total cost to me £750 it was a battle but I have the car in at the moment and it is ready to be picked up tomorrow, the actual cost was apparently 2.5K !!!! I'm going to pay up because I want my car back, I did mention this forum and was told by the RUK customer manager, Stephanie that RS200 owners are "more than vocal" if they have a problem, RUK have denied that this is a manufacturers fault but did listen when they realised I have a 4yr old car with only 22k on the clock !! I'm still not happy but it is better than nothing ... at the moment Caz

Clio RS200 Cup
Hello Sam, I intend to take this up with trading standards once I get my car back thanks for your reply Caz

Clio RS200 Cup
It was only 9 days out of warranty when the gearbox failure was diagnosed !!! I am truly fed up with RUK, whilst they are paying 70% towards the cost for the replacement I still think, and I'm no expert that this is a major common fault that they are not bothered about, I have been made to feel like an alien at the garage because I have fought for my rights and the garage that are doing the work said that the most I could expect was 40% from RUK, well they got that wrong and it does pay to kick off a stink if anyone wants the customer service managers direct line number let me know as she feels that we are "vocal" motorists !!! too true when faced with these problems and tremendous expense :dapprove:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It's not a safety issue hence them being pretty laid back about it all. Compare the cost of an optional recall of all 197/200s to replace a weak internal gearbox component against the cost of Renault throwing 75% in the direction of those unlucky enough to actually have a failure and it's easy to see why they treat the issue the way they do.

I can't see trading standards or anyone official doing a thing about it myself...you just have to accept the risk is part of the French ownership experience.