ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RT to 172

hey, i have recently sold my RT to get somethin newer etc. just wondered whether a 172 is too much of a jump up? as i was thinking about going for a 106gti for a year, then maybe gettin a 172, or should i just go straight for the 172? thanks for any advice!

justin

Nah,

I went from a 1.2 8v to a Williams - was fine.. just corners approach quicker, so be careful.

The money and hassle changing from the 106 to the 172 you may as well get the 172 now. Just be careful with it and dont get too carried away and youll be fine. Plenty of people have jumped from 1.2s to 172s or similar.

172beast

I went from a RT to a mk1 172, alrate, just dont drive like a loon.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

I went from a valver to an MR2 turbo mate - completely different. If I can do that you can go from an RT to a 172

Yeah thats what i thought. the only thing is the insurance difference.. its about £1200 for the gti, or £2500 for the 172. i could buy the 106 just now, but would have to wait for the 172. and since i have sold my RT, i need a car!! lol

just got back from a test drive in a 106 gti, and i really liked it. it is on quite high miles, but the price is obviously lower. though i do think they are slightly over rated, everyone makes out how good they are handling, speed wise. maybe i was expecting too much?

yeah thats what i thought, so was planning on gettin a 106 for a year. build up another NCD, then maybe look for a 172?

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I thought the valver came in a better overall package when i test drove the gti - both same price and the valver was in worse condition but I bought it as it was better - its just that darn engine they have in the 106 its so easy to get power from!

ex Clio 172 owner :(

I went from a RT to a VTS.

It is a joke how much quicker they feel at first but you soon get used to it.

Just dont go silly.

Get a 106 (or a VTS lol) pretty much as quick as a 172 in most situations and they handle great.

[Edited by Chris1.4RT on 18 June 2005 at 2:52pm]

well to be honest i didnt think the gti felt THAT fast, yeah its quicker than my clio, but i think i was expecting too much.. or it might be because it was a test drive/wasnt used to the car/had 2 passengers etc. im not sure, i almost felt a bit dissapointed, but to be fair, i was driving conservatively. its hard to explain lol

Golf R/Leon FR

no i went froma 1.2 8v to a mk1 172 and was ok

you just have to take it easy and get used to the car and watch out for the torque steer in lower gears