ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rugby

Ok I'm off to take pictures at a rugby match this weekend for my dissertation. Just asking for a little bit of help when taking the pics, i.e shutter speeds etc as I've not done this sort of stuff before. I'm after some action shots, like tackling, scrums, but also some line up shots during kicks etc.

Equipment I have available is:

Canon 450D
Canon 1000D
18-55 kit lens
50mm f1.8
Tamron 70-300 F/4-5.6

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looking around for the past few hours looks like I'll be needing the 70-300.
ISO 800-1250 dependant on light, around 1/1000 sec @f4

From a thread on POTN which has been very helpful.

Fiat Panda 100hp
A nice fast tele lens would be ideal. As above really just crank the ISO up to a point where you can get a freeze action shutter speed, and f4 so the subject jumps off the background.

Where you based?

Yeh, I'd say nice and fast mate so you can freeze stuff. Once you've got a few keepers, maybe try some panning ones if someone gets running? lol..

Im guessing it would be the same principle as cars but I may just be talking shite..

Fiat Panda 100hp
Oh lol, I would have lent you my 50-150 2.8 (or 70-110 with conveter) if you was near lol.

Look up the custom function that moves focus to the rear * button, find it really helps for sport.

Manual Mode, aperture f/5.6, Shutter above 1/600, preferably closer to 1/1000, balance the exposure with an appropriate ISO and Ai-Servo focus mode to track the players.

Oh and I find shooting down the pitch, i.e. behind the goal helps, unless you are after something specific, I find you want the player looking at you, with the ball in shot but you'll need to wait for the action to come to you with 300mm..

LOL Just about to post Ben :)

Only a few because I'm not allowed to post the ones I may use.

3454064948_ee0a98bb51.jpg

3453874790_2f034d38b7.jpg

3454068658_b5de652926.png

3453263351_3c26a820d6.jpg

To say I'm pleased with them is an understatement. Thoroughly enjoyed it and only got to see the first half due to work commitments. Definitely going to do more!

Ian

Focus TDCi
Great sharpness on these Greg, liking them! Just on the flag shot, did you up the clarity on it? Looks like a bit of a shadow around the flag. Other than that though, pretty much spot on. :)

Fab photo's.

Rugby = thigh's and bottoms. Win tbh.

Feel free to post more ;)

I would feed your perv habits but I can't until I've chosen the ones I'm using, check back in a week or so ;)

Great sharpness on these Greg, liking them! Just on the flag shot, did you up the clarity on it? Looks like a bit of a shadow around the flag. Other than that though, pretty much spot on. :)

Yeah I did mate, looked a little flat before, so gave it a bit of clarity to bring out the edges.

Cheers though :)