ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommended filter starter kit / setup?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

I've been taking photos for some years now but I've never really taken it too 'seriously'; i.e. I've never worried about spending time setting up a shot, striving for the perfect composition, etc. I'm not exactly point 'n' click but I've never particularly taken a measured approach in my photography. However, I feel it's about time I tried something different and I was looking at filter options. Something that would allow me to try some long exposure shots, that sort of thing. I live in a beautiful part of the world and it offers some truly stunning views; views that would be nice to capture.

I'm still using my trusty (old) Canon 40D with only three lenses; nifty-fifty, standard kit item and a 70-300mm that I use for motorsport. They aren't a patch on the professional L-glass but they do the job for now. Anyways, filters... I really haven't got a clue what I should be looking for. My local camera shop (as I discovered this morning) is no longer there; it's now a Greggs! Is there a 'starter' kit that you would recommend for a Canon user? A specific set / make of filters? Densities? Would I be better off getting another general-purpose lens first?

Thanks for your time :)