ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running In 182

Hi all,

I got my new 182 on friday and im running it in for 1000 miles. Is this really necessary and if so what revs should i go up to 3500rpm ??

Supposed to be 3,000 rpm or 70 mph

Running in period is 625 miles for that and then gently build it up

Thats if you are keeping it and dont want high bills later

clio 200 F4Rt

i ran mine nicely for about 200 miles, then just started to increase revs bit by bit on each trip.

modern engines these days are so strong, and not forgetting a 3 year warrenty, if the worst does happen!

just make sure engine is up to temp, and have some fun!

I picked mine up Tuesday and completed the 625 mile run in. Currently on 670 odd miles! :D

BMW 120i Sport

Drove it like i stole it.

Seriously, i varied my driving using all of the rev range and gears, only taking it "on cam" after about 500 miles or so - a nice mix of urban stop/start and motorway miles. Now its got 2500 miles on it, i give it some serious stick once its warmed up fully.

I might add that it was driven up to me from the dealership down south, so it had nearly 300 miles on it when i got it.

[Edited by Big G on 3/7/2005 11:23:20 PM]

Embarrassed to say

Imagine a 1200 mile running period with a 360bhp car and then having to book a 1200 mile running in service, took bloody ages. For my 182 cup 625 miles is not that much really for a running in period so i adhered to it but got it done in a week. Did lots of fast and slow driving under the 3500rpm plus a lot of changing down deceleration mostly on dual carriageways and motorways but always changing lanes and speeds, not labouring by staying at the same speed or using cruise.

Clio 182

Hey all

i got my new 182 last tues and have now done 407 miles. A few times ive gone over the 3000rpm mark and had it up to 5000 (by accident!!) will this make any difference do you think? or have i got away with it!:confused: (also a mate jumped in my car and started revving it up to 4000! i was not happy :(

Astra VXR 17/05/07

Quote: Originally posted by gabby83 on 08 March 2005

Hey all

i got my new 182 last tues and have now done 407 miles. A few times ive gone over the 3000rpm mark and had it up to 5000 (by accident!!) will this make any difference do you think? or have i got away with it!:confused: (also a mate jumped in my car and started revving it up to 4000! i was not happy :(
I had this as well,for some bizzare reason a mate of mine wanted to sit in the drivers seat and rev the b****cks off my 182 from cold.He got both barrels and almost a left hook :D

As for running in,despite the rag the crap out of it school of thought i ran mine in pretty much like you have,went over a few times but nothing mad until the 625 miles were covered.

This subject has been done to death but you probably dont realise that and its down to the individual IMO which way you run your car in.From what i have seen there is a good argument for both ways of doing it.I chose to go steadyish because i plan on keeping mine a while and couldnt bring myself to redline a brand spanker !

106 GTi

Only up to 160 odd miles on mine :( and 70 miles off them where last night, going out tonight to try and do another chunk! So far I have kept it between 3 -3.5K tho. Fast getting bored with it tho!

Quote: Originally posted by gabby83 on 08 March 2005

Hey all

nah it will do it the world of good

I had mine bouncing off the limiter on day 2! And again at the weekend. Things happen so fast when you floor it in second that you can be on the limiter beforeyoure ready to change up to third.

Ive always been one to floor it from day 1 :D

P

peterh2

Mine was upto the limiter through 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th with 2 miles on it :oops: I have no self control!

Seems fine though, and 3000 miles on its starting to get faster and faster :D

Ziel Nurburgring

Just vary the revs and dont nail it from cold. Engines are already a little warn in when you get them and someone has probably hammered it around the port carpark anyway, so i wouldnt worry to much.

89 Supra Turbo

Ive got a 182 i did about 1000 miles before i even thougt about fraggin it but at 4500 miles the cat split so watch out for it happenig £650 not fitted

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

If u were told to run the london marathon flat out could you...

People that say run it flat out from word one are absolute muppets! Thats exactly how you ruin a perfectly good motor...

If flat out from new was the way to do it, why do all motorsport teams including ourselves run the motors both on the dynos and on the track for over an hour at varied rev ranges. This included the Renault sport challenge were all motors are run in!

1000+/- miles at low revs, and u will be rewarded.

Think about it!

Ziel Nurburgring

Surely Renault do this at the factory on a bench? You cant just slap an engine together and let it leave the factory without testing it under load?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 08 March 2005

People that say run it flat out from word one are absolute muppets! Thats exactly how you ruin a perfectly good motor...

If flat out from new was the way to do it, why do all motorsport teams including ourselves run the motors both on the dynos and on the track for over an hour at varied rev ranges. This included the Renault sport challenge were all motors are run in!

Think about it!

Pah!

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/dec/20/2001o.jpg

+

http://www.tourism.org.fk/images/cdrom/phonebox-small.jpg

;)

seacombe2379, my cat split last week @ 4500 miles. replaced under warranty though. hope you didnt have to pay for it?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Quote: Originally posted by Tom on 08 March 2005

Quote: Originally posted by AJRMOTORSPORT on 08 March 2005

Think about it!

Pah!

http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/dec/20/2001o.jpg

+

http://www.tourism.org.fk/images/cdrom/phonebox-small.jpg

;)
Taxi For Tom????? ;)

Cup'd 182

One of the main benefits of running in is you get the valves/valve seat inserts nicely worn in together to get good sealing. If you dont, you get incomplete combustion which means you get less economy and also unburnt fuel getting into the cat and poisoning it.