ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"Running in" a brand new car.

Not a 320d
The shed wont arrive until the begining of november. Ive done a search, and found answers but id like to clarify this.

How many miles should i leave it until i start giving it death ? Its a New Clio GT. Should i take it easy for the first 1k and then start to open it up ? Obv. i dont want to damage the engine, whether i can get a new one under warranty or not.

Evo 6, E92 320d
Mixed views, some will say take it easy for 500miles or so, others will tell you to drive as you normally would.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'd do 500 miles nice and steady, then get it warmed up properly and thrash it.
Proven that engines driven hard from the start make very good power compared to 'well treated' ones.

Cupped 200
Renault Sports itself says that for the first 1000km you should not rev above 3-3,5 k rpm and dont go faster than 130 km/h. After that youre free to give it as much the spurs as you can.

It's A Reno
I drove mine with a 3k limit for 500 miles, then a 3.5k limit for 500 miles and the a 4k limit for 500 miles before I let it loose, but that's me.

What you put in, you get back IMO.

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Some american geezers did a test with 2 engines, one was ragged from new (but brought to temp first), and the other was 'run in' as per the manufactures guidelines.

They stripped both engines down after x miles, and the ragged one was in better condition than the 'run in' one. Supposedly makes them quicker engines too!

Although if anything went wrong I'm not sure if Renault can look at RPM figures and say that you didn't stick the the 'run in' guidelines etc. A guy with a CTR with a blown up engine went to Honda asking for a replacement, they found out he'd put it into the wrong gear and the engine was at about 25k RPM before it blew up lol!

ITB'd MK1
I wouldn't thrash it, but I definitely wouldn't be too gentle either (that's worse) normal driving without sitting at constant revs for long is the best way, and use lots of engine braking and over-run

Not a 320d
Some american geezers did a test with 2 engines, one was ragged from new (but brought to temp first), and the other was 'run in' as per the manufactures guidelines.

They stripped both engines down after x miles, and the ragged one was in better condition than the 'run in' one. Supposedly makes them quicker engines too!

Although if anything went wrong I'm not sure if Renault can look at RPM figures and say that you didn't stick the the 'run in' guidelines etc. A guy with a CTR with a blown up engine went to Honda asking for a replacement, they found out he'd put it into the wrong gear and the engine was at about 25k RPM before it blew up lol!

Think i heard about that, wasnt it on a downshift ?

Cheers for the advice, and i always warm my engines up before booting them.

it's not just the engine you're running in though - gearbox, brakes, tyres, etc

i'd be inclined to follow the manufacturer's guidance, which is dull i suppose

Exotica/MK1 Astra
So much bluff and bluster about this subject, Id drive any car carefully for say a 100 miles to make sure it's screwed together properly and bed the brakes, clutch etc mkae sure it's upto temperature before driving it hard regardless of age and then thrash it as much as you want.
when i had my focus ST from new it got death off the forecourt and was ragged from cold every day. I did however know i was selling it after 15k and it was under warranty.
Modern engines will take alot of abuse, the thermal shock test cycles they go through and sustained high speed running programs are brutal. You'll be fine if you run it for 100 miles then push on once warmed up.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
give it hell when warm, warrentys there to be used!

my mate gave his corsa VXR abuse from the first mile and 25k and a 2 years later its rapid

RS RIP
I wouldn't thrash it, but I definitely wouldn't be too gentle either (that's worse) normal driving without sitting at constant revs for long is the best way, and use lots of engine braking and over-run

i'm with Danny here ; engines do'nt like sitting at constant revs at all..

I think the warming up (+ cooling down for that matter) is important. Do'nt be shy when motor is hot ;)