ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

running in

Whats the score with running in for a 172. The manual says 1000k, max 80mph and 3.5krevs. Dealer says it doesnt matter ! What are the consequences of not doing it ? Cheers

There is a website on the net which gives an alternative method for bedding in the engine which give a reasonable explaination for why you shouldnt bed in the engine as recomended by the manurfactures. Its called motorman or something.

There no reason why u cannot hammer it out the showroom from day 1 hitting the limiter as you set of.

Wheather or not this will lead to more problems or a stronger or weeker engine is unknown. Id say drive it hard when the engine warn to high ish revs ~5/6k but dont slam on the power do it gently. Youll never know if driving it hard or soft will or willnt lead to problem some peoplem hammer them and have no trouble other are easyon them and have no trouble.

Enjoy the car though

EDD

Quote: Originally posted by pug205 on 21 February 2004

Whats the score with running in for a 172. The manual says 1000k, max 80mph and 3.5krevs. Dealer says it doesnt matter ! What are the consequences of not doing it ? Cheers

I think you mean 1k as 1000k is 1,000,000 miles and it may take you some time to get that far (unless your a sales rep!)

Go with what the book says, its not just about the engine but the brakes and other parts of the car that need to settle together, anyone who says go for it from day one doesnt know how to treat a car and all you will end up with is a shed thats been ragged into the ground (ive just run my new car in, and am still doing so, having not gone beyond the 5k rpm and im now at 1200 miles, only 3k rpm left to go in the next 300 miles or so!)

Tony

Ph1

Well I took it steady as per Reno manual and its just starting to wear in now at 34000 miles and all thats worn out is a front set of tyres and the rear brake pads.....so my advice would be to take it steady as per the manual.....dont forget as the saying goes the best things come to those who wait ;)