ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running lumpy after head gasket change.

Clio 1.2 8v
Lads can anyone think what could be causing this problem,

I've just replaced the head gasket on a d7f clio 1.2 8v 2005 car as it needed doing wasn't overheating or anything just getting water in the oil.

Anyway it now runs like a van it's also spitting some kind of fluid out the exhaust? Strangest part is the vacuum pipe from the bottom of the throttle body to the cam cover, the car would not start at all on its own with this connected so I unplugged it ran the car for 5 minutes then reconnected it, no change in engine speed and it also starts now with it plugged in.

I did see with the cam cover off there's some kind of plate on that side, is there a filter or something in there as there was so much crap in that cover I jet washed it maybe it just needs drying out or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciate as I need the car desperately this weekend for a 200 mile trip.

Clio 1.2 8v
Thanks bloke it did need a head gasket as it failed a sniff test but you were correct. Found the problem, the cover underneath the cam cover was blocked along with the needle size hole the throttle needs to work properly. It's plastic welded on so had to snap it off but a bit of silicone two small screws, 2 hours of cleaning and 150 cotton bud's later it's perfect.

Attachments

• DSC_3164.JPG
    DSC_3164.JPG
    629.5 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC_3165.JPG
    DSC_3165.JPG
    520.5 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC_3166.JPG
    DSC_3166.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 153

rik220

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks bloke it did need a head gasket as it failed a sniff test but you were correct. Found the problem, the cover underneath the cam cover was blocked along with the needle size hole the throttle needs to work properly. It's plastic welded on so had to snap it off but a bit of silicone two small screws, 2 hours of cleaning and 150 cotton bud's later it's perfect.

Do they all go like this? Looks like it’s been running very long between oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.2 Clio Grande
I've just noticed this post. Which 'needle size' hole are you referring to. My niece bought a Twingo (D7F 800 engine) which ran like a dog. I have been through all of the usual checks, replaced service items, cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor. Also checked injectors for resistance and spray pattern and replaced manifold and cat donut gaskets. It now ticks over great for several minutes before strangling itself with a code of bank 1 O2 sensor. The cat and sensors are new but this code relates to any item that affects the intake mixture / vacuum problem. Very frustrating and must be something minor - a blocked pinhole may qualify. Can you describe the location or, better still, highlight it on a photo or diagram, please?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I've just noticed this post. Which 'needle size' hole are you referring to. My niece bought a Twingo (D7F 800 engine) which ran like a dog. I have been through all of the usual checks, replaced service items, cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor. Also checked injectors for resistance and spray pattern and replaced manifold and cat donut gaskets. It now ticks over great for several minutes before strangling itself with a code of bank 1 O2 sensor. The cat and sensors are new but this code relates to any item that affects the intake mixture / vacuum problem. Very frustrating and must be something minor - a blocked pinhole may qualify. Can you describe the location or, better still, highlight it on a photo or diagram, please?

He ain't been on here for well over 2 years, doubt he'll respond now. Be best asking if anyone else knows much about this engine.