ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running Problems

clio 2003 172 cup
Hi everyone ive just brought a 172cup 2003 so im new to all this,

Ive been having a few problems and wanted to know if anyone could help.
My car has a missfire not too bad ive changed the coil, leads and plugs but its still there. Ive noticest sometimes the speedo stops working when that happens the car runs better and the problem seems to stop???

Ive also had a knockin sound which I no is common on these ive changed the lower engine mount bushes to ones from K-Tec racing which has made it better but it still does it abit in 1st and 2nd gear when pulling away hard, is this normal??

Last thing does any1 no where you can buy a standard engine cover as my car doesnt have 1.

Thanks

Da

Less
Welcome :)

First thing, check the main earth (or -ve) connection to the engine from the battery. Speedos will often stop intermittantly due to a loose connection behind the clocks, check this also.

Have you replaced the upper engine mount, I'm lead to believe this is a common failure causing engine knock.

Engine covers are always forsale on here and on eBay, but as you've bought a Cup you shouldn't have one anyway ;)

clio 2003 172 cup
ill get that checked 2moro then! Ive only changed the lower mount, can i put an engine cover on my car then? Cos i didnt no if it not having one was coursing me some of the problems you see

Megane Trophy, Golf
ill get that checked 2moro then! Ive only changed the lower mount, can i put an engine cover on my car then? Cos i didnt no if it not having one was coursing me some of the problems you see

Cups dont have the engine cover on as standard! It wont cause any of the problems your having! ;)

Megane Trophy, Golf
More than likely that your knocking noise is the top gear box mount and/or the engine mount, common fault! :)

clio 2003 172 cup
na ive had no lights come on the dash car just seems lumpy and sounds like it wants to cut out sometimes

OEM Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
If the speedo stops working then I'd say it's definitely a wiring fault and not the engine, check the earths, or as I was told, 'sit down with a bottle of coke, an afternoon and some patience and go through the wiring' lol hopefully it'll just be a loose connection and not a major problem :)

Last edited:

Da

Less
Rough running and wanting to stall could be a TDC issue also, maybe try cleaning it.

OEM Battery Nonce

ClioSport Club Member
Top Dead Centre, search on here, theyre's a guide on changing it, you may need to sign up to to see it, best £10 you'll ever spend if you have a clio

Da

Less
TDC - Top Dead Centre sensor. Down to the passenger side of the engine bay, above the gearbox if my memory serves me correctly.

Basically tells the ECU what air/fuel is required and thus can result in lumpy running if it's faulty/dirty.

Loads of threads on here about it with pictures etc.