ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running rich, rough idle

Passat 170 DSG Wagon
Hi all,

My recently purchased 172 cup seems to have an ignition gremlin some where. I'll start from the beginning - the car is standard bar yozza and decat.

Driving along one evening and the car started to misfire, sounding like an impreza and running on 3. The next day I checked all the plugs, leads and coil to find some residue on the leads where they meet the plugs so replaced the leads, plugs and also all the injectors. The injector closest to the airbox made no difference to the running of the car when unplugged so did them all.

Since then the car has run well aside from when it hasn't reached full temperature. Until its up to temp the car is lumpy and misfires slightly but after 5 minutes it's up to temp and fine. When you sit at traffic lights it does run lumpy on idle slightly.

When I go to start the car now it usually takes two attempts then fires up. Also seems to be running rich with a strong smell of fuel.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. I also changed the thermostat and gasket when I picked up the car because it leaked slightly.

Thanks

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
I have a similar issue, I think mine might be TDC or Lambda. Maybe yours is the same issue, I've heard a lot of problems with engines not starting correctly with the TDC sensor.

A ANIMAL
Try the Collant Temp Sensor (CTS) mate, fairly common problem and if shes not getting up to temp on the guage i'd say that was suspect No.1

clio 172
I have this exact same problem, feels more boggy than it should when cold, and not starting first time now and again is getting very annoying!

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
My issue is kinda similar. But the gauge gets up to temperature. Really intermittent. Reckon I might swap lambda 1 & 2 to test it.