ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rust removal and re-painting

Hello,

I bought my first car a few months back, and it had a couple of blemishes. A deep scratch on the bonnet, and some rust on the edge of the drivers door.
As you can see thus:

Now, considering i only paid £1100 for the car, i thought that taking it to a bodyshop to be resprayed would be excessive as i'm sure the bill would be huge, if it wouldn't actually cost that much (i.e. less than £200-150) then i'll go down that route.

I'm happy to have a bash myself, and have been advised to "Sand back to metal, rust cure, prime and paint". But i have no idea what paint code, or how to prime, how to apply the paint etc.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
id leave to to some one who knows what they are doing . i have seen some right bad looking home repairs on cars , if your still bothered and cant afford bodyshop prices then i would just try touching up the marks with a pen from halfrauds etc .

Titanium 182
Its not as hard as a lot of people think especially if your car isn't metallic makes it easier. Silver is a pig. Just make sure you take your time on the prep work and do it all slowly. Also doing it on the driveway isn't ideal as flies and crap tend to get stuck in your laquer as it dries :S

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII
Speaking as a paintsprayer, I would personally buy a second hand door in the same colour. The rust looks quite bad, and the metal on the lip of the door is very thin. You could attempt it yourself first of course, but I can guarantee it'll rear it's ugly head in a month or two. You can pick up a 2nd hand door for about £40. Obviously one without any signs of rust or bubbling is advisable.

It looks to me like the rust is creeping up and down the door edge, and you'll find yourself chasing it.

Speaking as a paintsprayer, I would personally buy a second hand door in the same colour. The rust looks quite bad, and the metal on the lip of the door is very thin. You could attempt it yourself first of course, but I can guarantee it'll rear it's ugly head in a month or two. You can pick up a 2nd hand door for about £40. Obviously one without any signs of rust or bubbling is advisable.

It looks to me like the rust is creeping up and down the door edge, and you'll find yourself chasing it.

Interesting, this does sound like a good idea. Can you recommend anywhere to look for a door? Or just general breakers and scrapyards?