ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SAMCO HOSE question?

wats the differences between them all? i.e wat applications shold they be used for?

flourined? high temp? standard? supaflex?

thanx

BMW 320d Sport
Fluorosilicone (or whatever it's called exactly) are basically for oil / petrol transfer. All silicone hoses can withstand a bit of this, but these ones are lined with an extra resistant layer inside to cope with it. Same stuff they make the soles of Doc Martens with.

High temp is just what it says. IIRC normal silicone hose can handle up to 200C, high temp, as used in some turbo hose kits can take 250 or thereabouts. Far as I know it's nothing fancy, just an extra layer of silicone. Silcone naturally insulates moderate heat pretty well (put a silicone elbow over your girlfriend/sister's hairdryer on max heat and it takes some time before you can even feel it coming through). The hottest it'll ever likely get is at the outlet of the turbo compressor before the intercooler and even normal silicone will handle that, high-temp stuff if you really want to be on the safe side, or if it's very near the exhaust.

Supaflex is AFAIK a trade name for the stuff with a wire helix wrapped around or buried in it. Fairly narrow gauge, up to an inch and can be bent around in a way that normal silicone hose can't. There is larger bore stuff which is usually an orangey brown colour, used for low pressure ducting like brake ducts, cold air feeds etc. This is made of a kind of silicone / fibre cloth with a wire spiral to keep it circular in cross section.

Samco and SFS basically do the same thing at similar prices although SFS can be slightly cheaper for some things. They both take 4 to 6 weeks to do anything other than blue LOL. Quality is the same, I've used both and never had any problems with either. I wouldn't get any other brand at the moment, simply because I've bought 'silicone' vacuum hose from places before and after a couple of months in a hot engine bay it perishes and just snaps off. Buy from Samco or SFS and you can feel the difference straight away, it feels sticky.

Hope this helps!

wats sfs stuff nick? supaflex is part of samco? if thats wat u mean? how bendable is the fuel oil line stuff as i def want a bit for a catch tank. but possible need to be more flexible if it'll be ok with the oil?