ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sat Nav AND Camera Detector

Suzuki SV1000S

Anyone know of a system that does both, if so I want it, Help

I have a Palm Tungsten T for work too - If this can be used

All help appreciated

You can use the GPS functionality of the Road Angel 2 detector interfaced with a PDA based SatNav kit like those on totalpda.co.uk. That should give you SatNav and camera in one package.

Iceburg 172FF

My tom tom go doesnt exactly detect cameras but i downloaded the uk speed camera database and now it alerts me whenever i go near a camera.

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by 1.4Dynamique+ on 18 November 2004

My tom tom go doesnt exactly detect cameras but i downloaded the uk speed camera database and now it alerts me whenever i go near a camera.
Is your tom tom go kit for a tungsten T - If so how much was it and is it easy to use etc

Suzuki SV1000S

Quote: Originally posted by bluerickshaw on 18 November 2004

You can use the GPS functionality of the Road Angel 2 detector interfaced with a PDA based SatNav kit like those on totalpda.co.uk. That should give you SatNav and camera in one package.
That sounds like a very expensive option as the road angel is £399 as it is

To get both options isnt going to be cheap.

Does anyone know if the Origin b2 has an output similar to that of the road angel?

172, Tiguan

Isnt the Origin Bluetooth?

If its not, one of these companies ought to sort that out!

172, Tiguan

George, that works on GPS so it wont "detect" anything. Because it knows where you are, and it has the cameras overlayed onto the database, the GPS knows its approaching a camera and warns you.

Suzuki SV1000S

mmm this is confusing stuff - Dont have to use my palm. But would like something that does both, But is 1 item. Dont really want to have to different devices ideally..

Suzuki SV1000S

Jon - I think my brother saw you last weekend on the A21, Were you trying to race a porsche, ferrari and a Subaru GTB E-tune?

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 18 November 2004

Does anyone know if the Origin b2 has an output similar to that of the road angel?
Yes the Origin B2 has a GPS relay (output) too.

Quote: Originally posted by Frosty on 18 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 18 November 2004

Yes the Origin B2 has a GPS relay (output) too.
Cool, thanks for that, might have to rethink my gps options now.

Quote: Originally posted by George16v on 19 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 19 November 2004

Come on guys there must be a device that does both surely?
No, there isnt.
That is madness
Mad and wrong! Im using a DELL PDA running Pocket PC 2003 as the operating system. I have TOM TOM Navigator 3 with a remote bluetooth wireless GPS for the sat nav. and have TRAFCAM software working in conjunction with TOM TOM to warn of the position of Gatsos, Truvelos, SPECS and frequent mobile sites. TRAFCAM monitors the position via TOM TOM every five seconds and warns of approaching cameras by temporarily interrupting the navigation. TRAFCAM for PDA is £79 which is quite steep but good value if you already have the rest of the kit. They also do a version for PALM but it is standalone and wont work simultaneously with the satnav.

It is also possible to have the positions of cameras pinpointed via TOMTOM directly without TRAFCAM and this is certainly a cheaper option (the cameras are added as points of interest within TOMTOM). I have loaded the database of cameras and am checking it out on my regular routes and comparing it against TRAFCAM. Not much between them to be honest but you need additional software to provide warnings (POIWARNER is one I intend to give a try).

Hope this helps and good luck.

Suzuki SV1000S

cheers matey - very useful

Trouble is that it doesnt pick up all the cameras, would like something like the road angel 2 that does sat nav too.

Any sat nav based detector like RA or the PDA based stuff depends on two things:

1. A GPS signal to know where you are and what direction youre travelling in

2. A database of camera, mobile sites, hazards, whatever so that with 1. it can provide a warning.

So its the quality of the database that really matters and thats down to the providers and user feedback of new camera positions. I expect some are better that others but none of them are infallible...

basically m8, there isnt a good way of doing it with all in one...

I work in an ice shop and we have looked at many options, the sat navs on pdas aint that good either so i wouldnt go down that route.. its acceptable but not nearly as good and full of functions like the nav add on to screens from say alpine & kenwood.

there is the RAC trackstar or trafficmaster which is a really good navigation system but the monthly suscription to them only includes fixed cameras, not things like specs, mobile ones, lasers, etc etc.

cant beat say an origin B2 then a proper motorised screen nav package to :D

Quote: Originally posted by JAF 182 on 19 November 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Pete on 19 November 2004

Come on guys there must be a device that does both surely?
No, there isnt.
That is madness
Mad and wrong! Im using a DELL PDA running Pocket PC 2003 as the operating system. I have TOM TOM Navigator 3 with a remote bluetooth wireless GPS for the sat nav. and have TRAFCAM software working in conjunction with TOM TOM to warn of the position of Gatsos, Truvelos, SPECS and frequent mobile sites. TRAFCAM monitors the position via TOM TOM every five seconds and warns of approaching cameras by temporarily interrupting the navigation. TRAFCAM for PDA is £79 which is quite steep but good value if you already have the rest of the kit. They also do a version for PALM but it is standalone and wont work simultaneously with the satnav.

It is also possible to have the positions of cameras pinpointed via TOMTOM directly without TRAFCAM and this is certainly a cheaper option (the cameras are added as points of interest within TOMTOM). I have loaded the database of cameras and am checking it out on my regular routes and comparing it against TRAFCAM. Not much between them to be honest but you need additional software to provide warnings (POIWARNER is one I intend to give a try).

Hope this helps and good luck.
It cant pick up mobile cameras tho!!!

It doesnt detect cameras it selects their locations from a database.

[Edited by Pete on 19 November 2004 at 4:40pm]

If you want a purely gps based solution the use checkpoint with tomtom to tell you when the fixed locations are on route.

Suzuki SV1000S

I just cant believe that a company hasnt made a product to do both yet! think I will borrow my dads Belkin Euro 550 and spend the money on Cams and Lightening the flywheel hehe - thanks for all the help guys!

digging this up again,
my dad has the renault sat nav in his 172, is there any way of having it alert him for cameras? i guess there is as i assume they are both gps based ?
if there is what program is it & where can he get it ?

from what i understand, he wants it to do two things as he is also after is a program which tells him what the speed limit is on the road (apart from the road signs) & warns him if he is going over it.

if any one has any ideas please let us know, as i dont really understand all of this !

53 plate 172

Quote: Originally posted by 1.4Dynamique+ on 18 November 2004

Im waiting for the new versions of tomtom due out next month. The system with bluetooth hands free calling for your phone has caught my eye.

Quote: Originally posted by cat171 on 12 April 2005

digging this up again,
my dad has the renault sat nav in his 172, is there any way of having it alert him for cameras? i guess there is as i assume they are both gps based ?
if there is what program is it & where can he get it ?

from what i understand, he wants it to do two things as he is also after is a program which tells him what the speed limit is on the road (apart from the road signs) & warns him if he is going over it.

if any one has any ideas please let us know, as i dont really understand all of this !
does any one know ????