ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sat nav

Hello everyone,

I have recently bought my Clio. As you all know, it is a great car. I want to take it out for a spin someday but i cant look at big paper maps. Thats why I am looking into Sat Nav. Could anyone tell me:

i)How much they cost?

ii)Where the best place to get them is?

I want one which tells me what road to take, best routes to take and telling me where traffic is. I know FA about this area so if anybody could shead some light on this it will help me out. Thanks:)

Ford Fiesta

I have the renault built in colour sat nav (see my avatar) which also knows where traffic issues are and takes you round them. Can have DVD playback also with right extras.

This needs to be fitted when ordering car afaik.

there are plenty other aftermarket units though, some double up as dvd players, other more simple units come from makers like Garmin etc.

A couple on here have the tomtom unit not sure if it has TMC (traffic management) though. You can expect to pay anything from a few hundered pounds to a couple of grand.

try a search first been discused a few times.

Liam

tomtom is supurb!

There is a update to tomtom 3 at the moment that updates the software to take into account traffic situations. Its currently trialing for free for 6 months i think.

Stuart

Ford Fiesta

how does that work then, does tomtom have a radio reciever built in, as the traffic management is broadcasted on classic FM in th UK?

Ford Fiesta

mm interesting, never knew it TMC could work via gsm, so does it cost you to use it then, you having to dial up etc?

Quote: Originally posted by Liam182 on 16 September 2004

mm interesting, never knew it TMC could work via gsm, so does it cost you to use it then, you having to dial up etc?
Bloke here at work has it working over gprs, yeah does cost to use tmc but it goes on your phone bill.

Ford Fiesta

are right, well apart from the higher initial cost fo the disc for some systems to cover the cost of the licence its free to use via classic fm.

Volvo S60 T5

VDO Dayton all the way I recon, the emergency services use them so gota be good, plus loads of optional extras available as well.

The ms5000 system is pretty good value on ebay at the moment between 400 -600

Ford Fiesta

indeed I was talking to some ambulance staff the other day who have the ms500 with full tv/dvd playback cracking unit.the renault unit is the same/based on the same i think.

Im not keen on the pioneer AVIC if thats the one you are referring to ?

You have to have the map dvd/cd in all the time to use it.
It can only store a map of 15 miles radius approx before you need to put the disk back in again.

Crap if you want to listen to music at the same time.

Waht about a PDA with tomtom3.

This is what im going for. And for about 250 you can get a good slim pda that attches to your dash and displays a good clear map and pois. What more could you want?

smurph

ive got tomtom 3 on my HP ipaq and its very good for the money. it offers alternative routes, is clever enough to alert you if you go wrong and its quick.

you can download software add-ons, one which tells you where every UK speed camera is too, and i think it warns you somehow, im planning on installing it tomorrow.

plus you get the use of a PDA too.

its the same software as the tomtom go too, they are both excellent IMO.