ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scania v8 p340 to R series + cutsom airbrushing

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
this is something i have been working on recently and may be of interest to some of you . i dont currently have any pics of it before only when it got damaged and the work there after.

it started out as a scania v8 p340( think iv got the model right) then after a trailer got reversed into the back of it its had a full new front end fitted from the R series which required a fair bit of fabrications.

here are some pics anyway.

this wasnt the actual truck but started of in the same colours

standardp340.jpg

heres some pics of the damage after the trailer went into it.

scaniabefore2.jpg

scaniabefore.jpg

harrysscaniabefore.jpg

after this the lorry was stripped down and repaired then prepped ready for paint.didnt get much chance to grab many pics so only took a few after the first layer of basecoat went on.

Photo0294.jpg

Photo0295.jpg

Photo0296.jpg

then after it was painted and left to dry the paint was flatted back till it was perfectly smooth and prepped again for adam from scrawl ( considered to be one of or if not the best airbrusher in the country) to come and do his stuff.

here is it in the prep for adam

Photo0297.jpg

Photo0302.jpg

Photo0303.jpg

then as adam got to work

Photo0306.jpg

Photo0310.jpg

Photo0311.jpg

Photo0312.jpg

then after he had done the cab was given a quick wipe down and laquered
which i then fully flatted and polished to bring the colours out at there best

Photo0328.jpg

Photo0327.jpg

Photo0332.jpg

adam then airbrushed the sides on the lorry, originally it was going to have alot of detail done on the sides but it was felt that overall it didnt need to so the company name was just brushed on the sides.

Photo0325.jpg

Next up was the grill, the p and r series share the same cab but the slam panel and other mechanical parts are totally different, chris looked up the prices on the scania mounts and fittings for the grill which came to alot of money so decided to fabricate his own from scratch. which took a fair while but got it perfect in the end.

Photo0319.jpg

Photo0317.jpg

then a pic with the visor painted and fitted.

Photo0324.jpg

next up was the steps , the p series had fold down steps which were a £2k extra so were worth keeping on the truck , were as the r series discontinued the fold down steps in favour of fixed items.
due to the lorry now having the optional lower bumpers fitted something needed to be done about the steps so i set about using the originals as a mould and fiberglassing them into the correct length and shape.. took some time but it is the only r series with fold down steps and looks wise really makes a difference.

pic of step test fitted after shaping

Photo0326.jpg

il load the rest of the pics later and continue this as i load them.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
It is a V8. That was a 164 480iirc.

Brave man buying a truck off Ginger gilder!

Edit just seen the top pic isn't the actual truck. Anything with 3xx won't be a v8.

Last edited:
  Astra GSI, 172, Golf
May not of been a 340 didn't sound right tbh but lorrys are pretty new to me . defo v8 though il look at the old badges when im back .

if you can see on mickeys chain its had tho v8 logo painted on .

majority was done free hand he used a projector to get the rough outlines and went from there by hand . was amazing to see it being done

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
he is very very good, the trucks he did artwork on this year placed 1st 2nd and 3rd plus the majority of the contenders lol.. il load some pics of the others up from this firm shortly

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
it originally had ali tanks which were heavily oxidised , the rubbers were shot and the straps had seen better days. so the tanks were painted to match the grill then flatted back till like glass and polished back up again.. rubbers were replaced and the straps have a very good polish.
Photo0341.jpg

also forgot to mention that the chassis was shot blasted then primed using a airless system and painted in gloss red. almost every other removable metal item was also blasted and powder coated .
the truck originally had alloys on but he wanted super singles on the front, and is it tag axle ? on the back .. so a set was sourced and sent of to tyre trax to be polished as they were known to be the boys for polishing truck wheels... for howmuch the service was no body was very happy with the outcome so it was my job to redo them again and bring them to a show worthy state. there are also 2 fittings for these wheels standard and retro fit... retro fit require new nuts @ £200 per axle

heres the before and after of the wheels.
Photo0356.jpg

Photo0359.jpg

Photo0360.jpg

this was the last stage before polish, flatted with 2000grit wet sandign paper
Photo0362.jpg

to polish them up i used peek polish, with a farecla gmop which worked perfectly.

this is one of the wheels i did fitted whith brand new tyres and the lettering painted up
Photo0372.jpg

also while i was polishing i did the eminox exhaust brackets

Photo0337.jpg

Photo0336.jpg

cant really see it to well here due to phone camera but the left hand side is untouched and the right hand side went through the same process as the wheels did
Photo0332.jpg

the exhausts were originally eminox but he wanted a change so went to these custom made ones, these are straight through from the turbo back so sound awesome especially with that big v8 lump.

exhausts
Photo0340.jpg

next up was the lighting he wanted dutch styled truck so lolipops were fitted along with some indicators on fitted to the new low bumpers. he also had his kelsa light bar painted white and 6 spot lamps fitted along the top.
Photo0374.jpg

the scania badge was also painted white to help it match in better, which i think looks good.

Photo0373.jpg

then next up was the name board , so SPOT ON it was as they are known to be the best....
£400 later and we had the back lit nameboard, it came in a ali finish with a clear perspex the fitment of it was shocking to say the least all the pressure from keeping the curve in the perspex was held by 2 very weak vac formed sides... after 2 pairs of sides and one replacement perspex chris went over to a mate who supplied him with a thinner perspex which did the job 10x better. now we could get back to work with it .. the perspex was sent of for the comany name to be stickered on. while we painted the rear or the board and side fittings..
chris made up some mounts as these are not provided and we got it fitted and lit up for a quick pic
Photo0383.jpg

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
cant workout how to edit the original post but just found some pics of it before any work started.. turns out it was a 580 one of the others must be a 340

harrysscaniaoriginally2.jpg

harrysscaniaoriginally.jpg

just found the orginal air brushing... how nice

thosewerethedays.jpg

Last edited:
  Mustang, S13, AX GT
It'll probably be a 540 I'd imagine. Looking good though, love airbrushed and chromed Scania's

edit: or a 580 haha :)

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
if you like the chromed ones you will probably like his tcab that he had.. recently sold it to a lad who has had another made exactly the same ill put some pics up in a sec

Don't you find it odd that lorries with the pictures and flames etc look awesome but on a car it usually looks terrible. Strange.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
doesnt make a huge ammount of business sense to spend so much just customising the lorrys for the lads that work there. but the owner of the firm is one of the nicest blokes you will meet he will do anything for you . so he treats his lads and in return they are loyal and look after there trucks whilst also making his company look good.
the one in my pics is one of his sons along with the tcab and the blue hobgoblin one which is probs my fave is his older sons who was doing the work on the one in my pics

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
A mate of mine has got a few of his trucks on v8power.nl they all have kermit the frog on them he's from holland but lives in Telford + theres a few of them on YouTube if you like chrome and airbrushing his are hard to beat.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Excellent. Can't see what business sense it makes but thats not the point.

got soem other good ones aswell
http://kingsboroughhaulage.co.uk/content/view/5/26/
They can make sense in a 'I can justify it because' way... ie, my friend works for a pretty big haulage company. The have green painted trucks with yellow writing for the company name all over the cab. They have depots up and down the country. Do you have any idea what the company is called?

That truck is a small family run company, probably only the one depot maybe not even that yet now people up and down the country know their name because they have seen this thread. Similar principle on airbrushed trucks they draw your attention. Also they have truck shows about so airbrushed trucks with company names on get people looking. Pretty weak justification but if I could afford to I'd use it and do my trucks up :) I really want an American pignose with optimus prime replica paint and chrome haha

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
They are a few of my mates trucks they come in to my work quite alot and i think it dose make sence for them to spend money on there trucks every1 looks at them and people talk about them and all the works look after them when they look like that.