ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scary problem need help to get moving

Renaultsport clio 172
My car is a clio 172 2001, first my backbox fell off just old and rusty, not a problem realy.

Then i was driving around id say for a week and it started of in the snow when i had a lot of vibration in the steering wheel which would only last 30-50 seconds and go away.

It done that proberly once a day, and at first i thought maybe just a load of snow in the wheels arches was making it go a bit funny.

But silly me i didnt bother to check cause it was mighty cold and coverd in snow and then the snow had all gone at the end of the week and still done it.

On my way home a little vibration and it went, nothing realy then pulled up outside the house went to reverse and a big grind and wouldnt move, tryed other gears, 1st and 2nd same result.

Pushed it in and took a look next day when it was light, the gear box felt as lovely as ever engine off, and clutch in and out nicely, steering wheel and wheels turn fine, checked engine bay nothin no gearbox oil or anyoil nothng wobbleing no cracks etc.

Until i put engine on and try to put it back into gear (also makes the grinding loose noice sometimes when clutch aint pushed in), with a friend doing this, i look to see that the drivshaft is wobbling all over the place????? :S

Havent had time to get it lookd at yet but not sure wa to do or expect.

Can anyone please help me????

Iceberg Ph1
I wouldn't think it would be the drive shaft seeing as it happens once a day and is not constant... I've known a car, but not a Clio that 1 wheels ABS would kick in randomly and cause a shudder due to just the one wheel trying to stop, not sure if this is really a problem that could happen.. Something wrong with the Powersteering pump? noticed the steering getting stiff and loose occasionally, or jerky if doing slow manoeuvres while steering on the spot? Even a dodgy bearing, but again I would assume this to be a constant issue, plenty of things related to steering, track rod ends, bushes etc.. I wouldn't think your issue is related to your gearbox, which to me sounds more like your clutch is shot, changing gears while the engine is off isn't really testing as it would seem fine due to nothing happening, flywheel not moving etc etc..

Just a few things to mull over I guess, failing that get a garage to have a look.. All the best!