ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Scoring on the cam

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Should I be worried about this at all I just topped up my oil and saw this behind the oil filler cap.
1DAD8F3C-04AD-4E56-AEC1-ADA44AFC2784.jpeg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Poke your finger in and feel what it's like, cos it looks kinda nasty but we're only going off one picture here.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If the engine is quiet just keep running it. Most are probably as worn now

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Ok mate is it just normal W&T then or something more, this engine has had a top end rebuild about a year ago also
If that bit @NorthloopCup highlighted is a big chip then something will have done that damage or someone has dropped something in the oil filler cap. if you say it's had a head rebuild they could have dropped the cam on the bench and done that too

The actual scoring on the cam looks fine though

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The scoring is pretty normal tbh, but anything you can feel with your finger nail is fucked basically.
If that is damage to the cam lobe itself, somethings damaged the case hardening of the cam lobe itself. Only way to fix it properly is to replace it mate, and it’s only going to get worse, not better. It could’ve even been caused by a sticking roller rocker. All it takes is a momentary stall to the roller, and the damage is done

I have seen damage like this on a cam before and it ran perfectly fine, just gave off a little knock every now and then, which when amplified under the cover sounded pretty horrific lol!

This is all based on if you can actually feel anything on the cam though, so best way forward is to confirm first.

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The scoring is pretty normal tbh, but anything you can feel with your finger nail is fucked basically.
If that is damage to the cam lobe itself, somethings damaged the case hardening of the cam lobe itself. Only way to fix it properly is to replace it mate, and it’s only going to get worse, not better. It could’ve even been caused by a sticking roller rocker. All it takes is a momentary stall to the roller, and the damage is done

I have seen damage like this on a cam before and it ran perfectly fine, just gave off a little knock every now and then, which when amplified under the cover sounded pretty horrific lol!

This is all based on if you can actually feel anything on the cam though, so best way forward is to confirm first.
Just checked and you can’t feel anything with your fingernail it looks a lot worse than it feels to be honest