ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Screech when steering...

RB FF 182
Hi All,

Still a bit of a noob when it comes to Clio 1*2's so excuse my stupidness...

Is the power steering belt driven?? Sometimes, when cold, usually when full lock is on, the streering wheel... doesn't jolt... but there's feedback....??? (Hard to explain sorry). And theres a loud screeching noise like a belt is slipping?!

It only lasts for a split second and normally when the car has warmed up it's fine!

I've heard/read that the pipes on the 172's are to small and get pinched somehow so just wondered if it could by the fluid trying to force it's way through??

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Not the tyres skipping is it? Does it do it when stationary?

Countryman JCW
i have the EXACT same problem in my 172. I checked the fluid on it and it was fine, even gave it a top up to make sure, but still getting it. Its only when the car is cold, and when you are stood still (when im moving out of a parking space).

Need to get it looked at asap because it sounds terrible!

Countryman JCW
Something else i noticed when moving out of a parking space on 2/3 lock was when i revved the engine it screached even louder whilst using the steering, so it has to be belt related im sure?

Eitherway, let me know what your problem is when you find out!

RB FF 182
Glad it's not just me!! :approve: I was panicking initially thinking it was my aux belt, but then realised I was being stupid!! lol

I had a quick look around the engine bay this morning and I don't even know where the power steering pump is??? lol

I've noticed that the steering feels like it's "fighting back" on full lock but I've had this on a few other cars. It does feel like it twitches slightly when the noise kicks in.

I had some new tyres put on yesterday and when the guy was pulling it into a space it made the noise, made him jump and he stalled the car! lol

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Mine did this in the winter but as im rarely on full lock I didnt really notice it, 100% fine now though!!

Countryman JCW
Yeh it shouldnt be the aux belt, as ive only had my cam/aux belts done a month or two ago. And it made the noise for the first time before then, but has become more frequent now.

RB FF 182
Let me know if any one comes up with anything... or if someone could tell me the location of the pump please?! :eek:

Clio 172,Focus rs
Hello from Mexico.
Im having the same problem with my 172. I can share this with yall.
Starting from the common problem of its occurence only in cold condition I am prone to saying that it is related to the viscosity of the fluid changing in proportion with temperature(probably too old fluid) .
Next weekend I will purge the system and put new fluid in, I think that will take care of the problem.

RB FF 182
Let me know if it works. Mine still does this occasionally....

Mines due a fluid change anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RB FF 182
Mine just stopped... lol well its a lot quieter now.

Still haven't changed fluid to be honest.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk