ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seized adjuster rings

Adjuster rings are well and truly seized on my coilovers, front and back. Had ago at freeing them up by soaking them in WD40 then tapping them with a screwdriver and a mallet but had no joy.
Anyone else have any ideas? I know heat is an option but that'd be a last resort as heating the adjuster rings up could cause issues like heating the shock oil up.

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
you can heat it up to some extent just dont go crazy with it.. the rings are only small anyway so will soon warm up enough to free them up

Audi A5
With the rears I would say its Defo worth taking them off then lock it in a vice, make sure the threads are clean and plenty of lub. Then its just a case of getting manly with the c spanners or stratch all the finish with a big pair of grips.

As for front basically the same but i would have a good go all freeing them out with them still on the car to save time

With the rears I would say its Defo worth taking them off then lock it in a vice, make sure the threads are clean and plenty of lub. Then its just a case of getting manly with the c spanners or stratch all the finish with a big pair of grips.

As for front basically the same but i would have a good go all freeing them out with them still on the car to save time

Cheers mate. Yeah not fussed about marking them up they're not the most aesthetically pleasing due to the build up of crap on them. lol

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Try a proper penetrating fluid like Plusgas.

This,

Also if the adjuster rings are aluminium then some heat is going to do any harm, just need to get it hot enough for the aluminium to expand a bit. Failing that a lump hammer and a cold chisel.

Yup. if this then a lump hammer and chisel doesn't move them the bin is next port of call. You should have lubed them before using them, expensive lesson I guess.