ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seized top mounts

225 Cup & Williams
I'm replacing the front shocks on my 172 but I'm struggling to get over the first hurdle. The nut on the top mount is solid I can't get it to budge and it's spinning the top hat bit that sits on top of the spring. To make it worse I've snapped the Alen key in threaded bit too. Anyone got any ideas how to get it loosened off?

172 Cup
You tried putting 2 nuts on and tightening them against themselves then holding a spanner on the bottom new nut to replace the broken allen key?

There's enough space I rekon to at least get the bolt free and moving.

Hope you get it sorted mate, not that its any consolation, but I just fitted my solid topmounts today and the nuts came off very easily.

Scott.

225 Cup & Williams
Cheers for that mate that's a good idea actually. Fred I was thinking a buzz gun too but will it not spin the top hat thing like it's doing just now with just a spanner?

225 Cup & Williams
Thanks mate I honestly though it would be the two hub nuts that would be solid not this one. I changed a broken spring on my mums 1.2 campus last week and the top mount nut came of no bother at all.

SERIOUS CAUTION here mate

When I took my top mounts off the nut is actually part of the top part of the top mount! (top hat as you're calling it)
Honestly - they are one and the same part - it was well confusing as I kept thinking it wasn't coming off

I whacked a buzz gun on them and they came straight off but the nut is definatly part of the top mount lol

It's definitely one piece on mine - once it was off I put the top hat in a vice and tried to take the nut off - no luck. It's all moulded as one

I can take a pic if you like

172 Cup
I took it as the OP meaning that he had already got the struts off the car and he is trying to get the very thin 17mm nut off. Is this the case? If its still on the car, then I dont think there will be enough space for my idea. Doh :(

225 Cup & Williams
Nah strut was still on the car panic over now though got all the new 172 cup shocks fitted handles brilliant now.