ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Selling my Clio, in need of advice..

Cliosport 182
So I listed my little 182 up for sale recently and left my phone number in the advert on Gumtree.
On Monday I had a weird number message me via WhatsApp asking if the car was still available, I sort of bluntly replied yes expecting a scammer in all honesty..
But turns out it's a French number and a obviously a French person offering cash for the car. Because it is cash I accepted and he is due to pick the car up on Saturday.
Does this sound at all suspicious to anyone? Has anyone else has french people approach for their vehicle? Are 182's just too expensive over there?

Anyways, if anyone does have experience do I need to do anything different with the log book upon sale?

Many thanks guys (also.. sorry if wrong area!)

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
This was from my exchange on Autotrader via some french dude recently. I should have told him to f**k off tbh.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 15.52.41.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 15.52.41.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 237
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 15.52.16.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 15.52.16.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 233
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 15.52.00.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 15.52.00.png
    97.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 15.51.42.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-12 at 15.51.42.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 203
From what I understand it's legit a lot of buyers from france picking up cheap cars over here then selling them or using them and saving €€€ as they're much more expensive/rare over there believe it or not.

They usually need the V5 to register the insurance so don't be put off if he asks to see it etc. Seen at least 10 on facebook now that have had no issues selling to the french, treat it as you would any sale. Cash in hand, counted and checked for fakes. V5 Signed correctly etc

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea it's quite common, especially with more sporty stuff.

The exchange rate is on it's arse so it makes our cars relatively cheap for them, Impreza's and Jap stuff is big business.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Doesn't surprise me. A friend sold a broken Daihatsu Sportrak to a guy from Eastern Europe who paid a company to collect it. About ten years ago, I bought a Sierra for £500, hated it, put it up for sale and a guy from Ireland paid £850 for it within a couple of weeks, having never set eyes on it. He also payed a company to collect it. Seems to work out quite well for them to buy cars from the UK, especially if it's rarer stuff, as we seem to like sporting models over here.

My Clio is on gumtree currently. Had no-end of time wasters though. Wouldn't dream of putting my mobile number on there. Pretty much every message is, "wots ur bst price cash m8", people offering you half of what it's advertised for, or endless pointless questions about it from people who have zero intention of actually coming to view it. Have sold cars through it before, but you get a lot of mongs on it.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
They are worth 2-3x the price over in France, so it's pretty common as said.

Double check the cash, fill in the export on the V5c. Possibly get a copy of his passport (i've seen that recommended somewhere).

Once the cash is counted and all documentation sorted don't let it out of your sight.

Read a story on this forum of someone being done out of a few hundred quid as the foreigners mate that was with him swiped some cash back while the seller was distracted doing the paper work.

Best have someone with you, safety in numbers and all that.

Cliosport 182
Doesn't surprise me. A friend sold a broken Daihatsu Sportrak to a guy from Eastern Europe who paid a company to collect it. About ten years ago, I bought a Sierra for £500, hated it, put it up for sale and a guy from Ireland paid £850 for it within a couple of weeks, having never set eyes on it. He also payed a company to collect it. Seems to work out quite well for them to buy cars from the UK, especially if it's rarer stuff, as we seem to like sporting models over here.

My Clio is on gumtree currently. Had no-end of time wasters though. Wouldn't dream of putting my mobile number on there. Pretty much every message is, "wots ur bst price cash m8", people offering you half of what it's advertised for, or endless pointless questions about it from people who have zero intention of actually coming to view it. Have sold cars through it before, but you get a lot of mongs on it.
I think I've been quite fortunate and not had any of them, had a fair few when I stuck it on Facebook marketplace though lowballing me

Thanks everyone for the input, have a lot more confidence now

Cliosport 182
Once the cash is counted and all documentation sorted don't let it out of your sight.

Read a story on this forum of someone being done out of a few hundred quid as the foreigners mate that was with him swiped some cash back while the seller was distracted doing the paper work.

Car is at my workplace under CCTV and deal will be done there so should be covered if anything happens

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
What i'd also do is take a picture/scan the v5c once he has filled in his details and send that off to the dvla with the export slip.

He will need the original v5c to be able to register it in France.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
My Clio is on gumtree currently. Had no-end of time wasters though. Wouldn't dream of putting my mobile number on there. Pretty much every message is, "wots ur bst price cash m8", people offering you half of what it's advertised for,

Had exactly the same experience the other week selling a car for all of £400, who do these idiots think they are??
Best offer was:

"£250 today or £300 if you deliver it to Bradford"

humm, yea how about no???

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Car is at my workplace under CCTV and deal will be done there so should be covered if anything happens

I have sold quite a few 172 / 182 in various guise over the last five years to people from France. A couple of them I have collected from Gatwick airport. Never really had any issues. Have generally turned up, paid cash and then driven off to catch a ferry!

I always take a photo copy of the V5 and their passport. Give them the complete V5 minus the blue export slip.

All the people I have had turn up were generally Renault sport enthusiasts and had purchased cars in the UK before. As already said in France the cars are 3 x the price of buying over here. Clio 172 Cups are particularly popular buy in standard form.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member

That was someone on here, left the money on the table and walked out of the room, someone took advantage and swiped a fist full of cash.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Reminded of this thread as a guy from France has paid a £100 deposit for my Cup and is coming to collect it on Sunday. Had another one asking about it too.