ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Serious Ph1 172 Track/DRT Build.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
John i cant weld either, my mate is a proper welder/fabricator and thats him in the pics. Like you say its anoying not being able to weld as there so much you can do but to buy all the gear, decent welder etc its more cost effective to get someone else to do it, properly as well!
Powey, those cups will be welded to the rear turrets and then the rear stays and strut brace weld to them, everything is just tacked in at the minute to get it all set out properly.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Right, another small update, been very time consuming today as nothing seems to fit like it should. Managed to get both rear lower stays tacked in, the dash bar altered and tacked in as well. Main time was spent messing around with the front strut triangulation, done one side as you can see from the pics. Door bars are gonna need some modifications as are the rear diagonals but hey ho, no fun if everything was easy. Managed to sort my seat rail strengthening plates out too just need to weld them all in + finished fitting my aerocatches. Did a bit of a trial fitment on the dash top as well, obviously needed a fair chunk cutting out of the corners but will piece the cut out bits in afterwards, gonna have it all flocked eventually too. Just need to trial fit the lower dash and weld a few brackets in to hold it.
Russ
1yf1xy.jpg

1yf1x1.jpg

1yf1xf.jpg

1yf1x5.jpg

1yf1xs.jpg

1yf1x7.jpg

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Been a while since i updated, haven't done a great deal to be honest, too busy at work, been on holiday, working on the house etc etc. Done a few bits in the last couple of weeks so is coming on a bit, hopefully have it all painted inside before xmas and have the outside all prepped for its new hue. Paul is unlocking my standard ecu next week so gonna make sure it still runs since i've rewired it and then i can whip the engine out, fit an lsd etc and do a few jobs on the motor.
Cage just about finished, just need the final single diagonal in the main hoop fitted, left it out so all the tricky bits could be welded up easier.
CIMG1001-vi.jpg

CIMG1004-vi.jpg

CIMG1007-vi.jpg

Shaped the front windscreen gussets ready to weld in.
CIMG1003-vi.jpg

Door bar pic, with dash trial fitted, had to cut top and bottom parts to fit around the cage obviously, needs tidied up obviously but the fact i can get it to fit neatly is positive, will look fine once its all flocked.
CIMG1002-vi.jpg

Been sorting the wiring out in between my mate doing the cage, modified all the loom with redundant wires removed, and ones that are needed extended to the new fuse/relay box. Also altered the engine loom and moved the ecu inside. Bought a load of stuff from www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk can highly recommend them.
CIMG1005-vi.jpg

CIMG1006-vi.jpg

CIMG1008-vi.jpg

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks guys hopefully will have a few more updates coming in quick sucession as i can start getting on with it. Should of said about the new fuse/relay box that it's to replace both the interior and under bonnet ones so all fuses/relays are together and the wiring all goes to one place with the ecu right next to it too, makes more sense to me anyway! Need to get a sheet of carbon and start making the switch panel on the dash for battery master switch, wiper + wash switches, hazard switch and a few other bits.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Been doing a little bit more. I dont seem to be making as much progress as i'd like, but its more waiting for other people really! Cage is all done bar a couple of bits, need to fill in a few holes in the bulkhead + bits like the aerial hole and badge holes etc then the shell can go away for paint. Gonna whip the engine out tomorrow and tidy all the bay up, remove the abs pump, any unused brackets or clips etc.
CIMG1023-vi.jpg

CIMG1022-vi.jpg

Took all the doors, wings and skirts off so externally the shell is stripped for paint.
CIMG1020-vi.jpg

CIMG1021-vi.jpg

Also chopped a couple of now useless brackets from the steering column, need to weld on a small plate and make up some kind of adjustable fixings to get the angle and height right.
CIMG1019-vi.jpg

On the subject of chopping, took 2kg's out of the front cross memebr by removing the front skin and drilling 4 holes in the back, should help the rad out a little too.
CIMG1024-vi.jpg

CIMG1025-vi.jpg

CIMG1028-vi.jpg

Be nice to get it all painted over xmas and i can at least start building it back up, steering wheel is on order along with a quick release boss, will try and pick up a few bits at the autosport show too, finances permitting.
Got the circuit days dates yesterday and theres a Spa trackday on the 2nd april which i'd like to do and take it to the 'ring at the same time, gives me something to aim for at least!
Russ

Last edited:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Too late Burp, it'll be gone by now!

Build seems to be going well mate, I take it you wont be getting it acid dipped or anything like that?

Oright Russ,
It's Crag from next door.You'll be pleased to know that im thinking of "getting a proper car" I fancy a PH2 172 Clio.Im just going to get Crimbo out the way finish off building mine back up and get it back on the road Etc then sell it and get one:)

Your not messing around with your's are ya.Looking good though.
What's the plans for the Engine?Did Tenner do your welding?

Is that your house or just the lock up?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
aye crag its at mine, been getting tenner to do the cage. Engine plans are just 182 manifold, ported inlets, 2.5" system, oe airbox and itg + custom remap. 185bhp would be nice with those bits, trying to get some bits/money together for paul @ rstuning to supercharge it asap. If you're gonna get a ph2 get a cup, only one to have! Gonna get abuse now!
Russ

Where is your house at?It looks quite big.

Sounds good.Looks like Tenner's done a god job TBH.It's not cheap to get it SC though is it.There's actually quite a few on this site now.It would be awesome though.

Mine isnt going to get used like your's though,Plus with a Cup you dont get the Xeons,Climate Control,Nice Interior Etc....
It all depends what's around when i come to get??

When are you planning for it to be finished?What track's will you be taking it on?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Crag, you'll have to come out one day and have a look.
Got the engine pulled out today anyway so means i can get one and tidy that up this week + do the bits on the engine i need to. Need to get an engine stand though make it a bit easier to change the sump, swap to cup alternator setup and give it all a lick of paint while the box is away getting the lsd in.
Russ
117mvm.jpg

117mvn.jpg

117mvp.jpg

Yeah Russ sounds a good plan.I need to speak to you when i come to get 1 anyhow as you know more about them then me.You getting another engine?

Ive got a Engine stand if you want it?Because TBH im not planning on taking anymore engine's Etc out.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Been buying a few bits this week. Took advantage of K-Tec's 'Double Discount December' and bought a full set of Vibratechnics mounts along with a Powerflex bush kit for the dogbone mount. Also got a steering wheel boss to go with my new steering wheel which is sat at the post office as we speak, damn village post offices work less hours than i do! Ordered a Sparco 383 suede wheel and a quick release hub from Tweeks, really like the Sparco wheel, had the same one in my old Dc2.
11c4a5.jpg

The car was 'a bit rough' when i bought it and the front bumper was gonna need a fair bit of prep to get it anywhere near tidy so Trev_M was selling a one on here so nipped over and picked it up, kind of came back with more than intended, as in a front bumper, rear bumper, grille, 2 wings and 2 sideskirts. Have more plastics than i know what to do with now, might come in handy if i ever decide to race it!
11clhs.jpg

Managed to get an engine stand this week, albeit on loan from 'Graeme-P' on here, thanks mate. Split the engine and box and put the engine on the stand, looks like its still on its original clutch at 72k miles. Took the alternator and a/c bits off to fit the cup setup, amazing how bulky it all is, be 100% better with the cup setup on. Didn't have time to strip the rest of the bits of but i'll do that this week hopefully and get it all cleaned and painted up along with fitting my sump without a leak!
11clh8.jpg

11clhc.jpg

haha trying to get crags old engine of stand that was funny.Il have to pop up russ next year sometime and have look at this looks very very good:approve:

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Tunst, welcome anytime mate, closer than you think, only at Wigton.
Anyway, small update from the last few days, been doing a few bits on the motor while its out.
The sump was leaking slightly when i bought it not major but enough to leave a spot when it was parked up. Bought a sump from a 182 off a member on here the same weekend i bought the car. New gasket and sump plug from renault was purchased too. That was the first job, got the old sump off + fitted the new one with new gasket and torqued it up to Renault specs in order. Everything (i could be bothered taking off) was taken off the motor, manifolds, aux's, loom and bits so i could give it a lick of paint. Popped into work and cleaned up a few bits in the parts washer ready to paint/refit.
119inu.jpg

Nothing fancy just a bit of a tidy up, the block, brackets and sump silver and the head + T/stat housing metallic grey, looks pretty good, not the best finish but will do, its a track car afterall.
119inv.jpg

119inw.jpg

I bought a cup alternator setup of Burp a while back so the brakets for that were painted too and fitted to the block with a new belt. Refitted the exhaust manifold but the inlets are going to K-Tec to be machined before they go back on.
119in0.jpg

119inz.jpg

Bought a few bits as well, the mrs bought be a Sparco 383 suede wheel, best wheel i've had, used it on previous cars and i just love the feel of it. Also a momo boss + a quick release boss that bolts on so the wheel can be removed, absolute nessesecity imo.
119int.jpg

119in6.jpg

Last but not least, pushed the car out of the garage to work on the engine stand, pushed it back in with ice on, its cold oop north!
Russ
119ipy.jpg

Last edited:
i love that engine stand :rasp:.you aint hangin about with this Russ lol im going to wait til weather better,more snow on way yet,then il pop up have look at this if thats ok with you?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Been spending some money lately, more because i cant resist a bargain rather actually needing the bits right now. Bought a set of H&R coilovers off here, not my first choice but for the money they'll be fine to get me up and running, cant justify £1k+ on suspension atm. Note extra set of stiffer rear AST springs.
11hdg2.jpg

Also picked up a set of TD Pro-Race 1.2's 15"x7j ET35's to give me a wider track, have some spacers too just need to experiment see what i can get away with once its running a bit of neg camber. Wheels are currently white and are immaculate, seems a shame to paint them but they're gonna be black, they have R888's on too.
11hdg1.jpg

Last thing of interest purchased is an AX front wiper setup, struggled to find one tbh, seems there aren't as many being broken as i thought there would be. Taking inspiration from burp/tony's setup i'll be modifying the bracket on the scuttle to fit it.
11hdgf.jpg

Not done a great deal of work on the car lately, just finishing the welding off etc, need to plate all the holes up in the bulkhead too which will be fun! Gave the engine bay a good clean up too as it was filthy and removed a few unused brackets etc, not sure what the previous owner did with the car but everything was covered in really fine mud/sand and took some cleaning off!
11hdgs.jpg

Put my powerflex bushes in my lower engine mount too while i had some spare time at work the other day, getting the old bushes out was a nightmare but all sorted now.
Russ
11hdg5.jpg