ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Server power problem?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
A server of a clients randomly (we think) shuts itself down.

I was working happily away and it turns itself off and needs manually powering back on. I.e someone has to press the button.

Is there any software I could dump on it to see why its doing this? Something to monitor and log something like overheating or power spike?

I have a feeling it might be a problem with the UPS, the PSU or even maybe its getting too hot and powering off.

There is no event logs linked to the problem and the mahcine has up to date A/V protection.

Thoughts?

E91 M Sport
Sometimes memory errors can cause machines to shut down instantly, but I would have though it would write that to the error log.

Can you swap out the PSU for another one?

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Well I would rather not as they are quite remote. Memory error I'm open to - but yeah I'd expect to see an error or something.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
The previous system shutdown at 14:30:35 on 22/09/2006 was unexpected.

Is the only comment regarding the issue in the event log. BSOD?

It'll probably automatically reboot on BSOD, unless you have specifically set it not too.. make it not reboot automatically, and then get them to see what the error is (as long as they have a monitor on it!)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Do you think it might be a BSOD Daz? I'm getting an engineer on site monday to have a nose at it.

Settings > Control panel > System > Advanced Tab > then you will see 'Start Up And Recovery' Click settings just under that > and then look at the bottom of the page for some thing that says 'Automatically Restart' > UNclick that

When the error happends again the system shouldnt reboot its self it should come up with a error screen with some info on that screen write down this info then paste here and i might be able to help ;)
(You can normally google the error that comes up after you turn off the auto reboot and find a quick fix )
Friend

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Cheers Rob :D

Thing is, it doesn't restart it just stops and powers off. The box to auto reboot is ticked but thats all.

Ideas?

DarthCake said:
Cheers Rob :D

Thing is, it doesn't restart it just stops and powers off. The box to auto reboot is ticked but thats all.

Ideas?

Unclick auto reboot :p.it says auto reboot but actually means shut down ( happening on my car pc atm )

:) When it happends again you should get alot of info on ur screen :) Write every bit of it down including all the numbers. :)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Hmm Rob I went into the Advanced Tab of the System component and when I clicked settings to untick the "auto reboot" it says:

The C:\boot.ini file can not be opened. Operating System and Timeout settings can not be changed.

Ok so now i'm concerned!

Revels Mum & Sister
I had this with an old Win2K Server

They had a power cut and it raped the UPS somehow. Doing exactly what it yours is doing. PLugged it into a Surge protected socket and left it on test for several days and it was fine. New UPS ordered and all was fine.

Also the BSOD will be a problem as your using RDP I assume when it errors or cuts power even if you get it to not auto restart you still wont see it, as when it BSOD or turns of it cuts the remote connection! Unless you are on site.

Could be the PSU as well. I would get it plugged in Direct to a alternate power source and try that for an hour or two

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Exactly. There are 2 servers connected to the UPS, yet only 1 has this weird restart glitch.

Going to try plugging it directly into the mains to see if that solves the problem.

No idea on the boot.ini. Surely thats necessary for the server!!!

Rasclart said:
Boot.ini must be there and working otherwise it would load windows after reboot?

Windows will boot to C:\ if theres no boot.ini telling it other wize
What windows is this running i will make you a boot.ini for it :)

E91 M Sport
Might not be able to access boot.ini because its a protected file. Remove the protection using attrib command, then try unticking that box again.

Revels Mum & Sister
As Mike said, also check to see if Boot.ini is actually there fella. Hidden in the Root of C:

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Just a thought, SBS will shut itself down unless it's a domain controller. I take it is one?