ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Serves you right

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

How come of late everyone who gets any form of speeding ticket or any form of problem regarding the law gets a "serves you right" response from a large number of people on here?

When you get a fine/points and come on here the last thing you need is a bunch of guys (who probably speed themselves) ranting at you.

Thats my rant over with anyways.

Quote: Originally posted by leeds_182 on 06 February 2005

How come of late everyone who gets any form of speeding ticket or any form of problem regarding the law gets a "serves you right" response from a large number of people on here?

When you get a fine/points and come on here the last thing you need is a bunch of guys (who probably speed themselves) ranting at you.

Thats my rant over with anyways.

Maybe its because a large number of Cliosport members are law abiding and are not really wanting to hear from people whinging about getting caught for breaking the law.

Those who break the law only have themselves to blame:mad:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Maybe they shouldnt post about it here then, if people post messages saying "f**king cops caught me doing 38 in a 30, they should be out catching real criminals" then they deserve any critical responses they receive!

So if you dont want/cant handle the critisism, dont post about your law breaking! Simple!

[Edited by sn00p on 06 February 2005 at 9:48am]

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Could not agree more. These forums have become a home for whinging lawbreakers

[Edited by Red Clio 52 on 06 February 2005 at 9:56am]

IMo everyone speeds at some point in their life and it is luck of the draw if they catch you.

38mph in a 30 zone outside a school at chucking out time would be criminal but 38mph in same zone at 3am is neither here nor there!!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 06 February 2005

IMo everyone speeds at some point in their life and it is luck of the draw if they catch you.

38mph in a 30 zone outside a school at chucking out time would be criminal but 38mph in same zone at 3am is neither here nor there!!
30 in a "30 zone" at chucking out time would be criminal too!

In the next village to me some bloke got mown down by a truck in the early hours of the morning (killed straight out, apparently there wasnt much left of him) a few months back - just because you perceive the danger to be less at 3 am in the morning, doesnt actually mean that it is - just because its 3am doesnt mean its no longer a residential area!

[Edited by sn00p on 06 February 2005 at 11:04am]

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep

Maybe its because a large number of Cliosport members are law abiding and are not really wanting to hear from people whinging about getting caught for breaking the law.

Those who break the law only have themselves to blame:mad:

So you never go more than 30 in a 30 or 40 or in a 40?

rsturbo and a xr3i

So you never go more than 30 in a 30 or 40 or in a 40?

i cant speak for everyone else but i can honestly say i dont and neither does my hubby

Some people love to get one up over other people. Comments such as those made by "Red Clio" are very dissapointing since most people who have been caught know they have done wrong, they just want some constructive comment not a ticking off.

Unfortunatley such behaviour lowers the tone of the whole forum and makes it a far less enjoyable place to visit.

A silver Honda

I admit i speed sometimes but if i do get caught ill accept whatever punishment i get.

As sn00p said, its luck of the draw if they catch you.

Quote: Originally posted by edgerfs on 06 February 2005

Some people love to get one up over other people. Comments such as those made by "Red Clio" are very dissapointing since most people who have been caught know they have done wrong, they just want some constructive comment not a ticking off.

Unfortunatley such behaviour lowers the tone of the whole forum and makes it a far less enjoyable place to visit.
Sorry that you find my comments "very dissapointing" but I stand by my comment that I believe the majority of Cliosport members are law abiding and do not wish to hear of people whinging about being caught doing something illegal.

I am not "trying to get one up" over anyone, just trying to put a serious and constructive point across on what I believe is still a very enjoyable forum to visit. After all that is what forums are for, isnt it?:)

tiTTy & SV650

i dont want to get involved in a big drawn out debate but speeding in a built up area is for more serious in my eyes (and in the eyes of the law) than on an open road.

Some prat nearly crashed into me last night, he was doing about 50 on a 30 (resedential area) coming round a blind bend, then he overtook! Absolute arse - thats dangerous driving at its worst.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Maybe some of us are very lucky.

Personally i have never had a point on my licence.

And i have exceeded the speed limit a few times, maybe its just "knowing" where its safe to do so that keeps me point free.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yup it is but so is moaning about it surely?

So nobody wins

If you speed in a 30 zone you are asking for it. Whats the point anyway?

Open roads are a different kettle of fish...its just common sense.

If you do get stopped then take your chav hat off quick! And leave the bad buoy atti-tood inside the car when you are talking politely to the nice officer.

The only time Ive been done badly is because I answered back...tut tut

Ive had about 30 points...mostly on bikes. In the last ten years Ive had none so something must be working.

Whats interesting is the focus always seems to be on breaking the law and by implication, being unsafe. It never seems to focus on the actual safe speed for the actual road where the actual offence took place.

Of course, there is NO safe speed - driving vehicles carries a risk whatever the speed, and just because someone may never ever break THE LAW, it doesnt make them the super-safe, saintly drivers they obviously think they are.

IMO drivers who make such a point of NEVER breaking a speed limit, are spending too much time cosseting their feeling of well-being by knowing where the speedo needle is, rather than concentrating on the road ahead, and using experience as a measure if how quickly to be going.

I often find myself driving at 35mph in a 30 zone. I also often find myself driving at 20mph in a 30 zone where I cant comfortably go any quicker without feeling unable to stop should the need arise. Child/dog/hamster/suicidal rabbit dont enter the equation, because using that tool to argue, ultimately leads to the speed limit being 0mph.

Personally I use speed limits as a gauge of the kind of road I am driving on, and generally I abide by them. Ultimately though, I use my own brain and my driving experience, and I often find Im driving legally by doing so anyway. One day I might not be driving *legally* and Ill get caught, either by a camera or a copper (Id rather it be the latter) - thatll make me unlucky, and I might post on here about it...and at that point in my life I wont want some holier-than-thou "kill your speed" brigade breathing down my neck - especially since in my experience, people who are proud to proclaim they NEVER break speed limits, cant drive for sh*t.

having 3 points on my licence has made me realise that speeding isnt worth it

too easy to get caught, ill save my racing for the track/strip where i know there is little risk to everybody else

speeding is not nworth it

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 06 February 2005

Whats interesting is the focus always seems to be on breaking the law and by implication, being unsafe. It never seems to focus on the actual safe speed for the actual road where the actual offence took place.

Of course, there is NO safe speed - driving vehicles carries a risk whatever the speed, and just because someone may never ever break THE LAW, it doesnt make them the super-safe, saintly drivers they obviously think they are.

IMO drivers who make such a point of NEVER breaking a speed limit, are spending too much time cosseting their feeling of well-being by knowing where the speedo needle is, rather than concentrating on the road ahead, and using experience as a measure if how quickly to be going.

I often find myself driving at 35mph in a 30 zone. I also often find myself driving at 20mph in a 30 zone where I cant comfortably go any quicker without feeling unable to stop should the need arise. Child/dog/hamster/suicidal rabbit dont enter the equation, because using that tool to argue, ultimately leads to the speed limit being 0mph.

Personally I use speed limits as a gauge of the kind of road I am driving on, and generally I abide by them. Ultimately though, I use my own brain and my driving experience, and I often find Im driving legally by doing so anyway. One day I might not be driving *legally* and Ill get caught, either by a camera or a copper (Id rather it be the latter) - thatll make me unlucky, and I might post on here about it...and at that point in my life I wont want some holier-than-thou "kill your speed" brigade breathing down my neck - especially since in my experience, people who are proud to proclaim they NEVER break speed limits, cant drive for sh*t.
I would hope that any competant driver would be able to maintain a constant speed without having to keep their eyes glued to the needle, its not really that hard to do! Maybe those who do have this problem should seek some extra driving tutoring. There seems to be a fixation on this board with that argument everytime this topic pops up.

The fact of the matter is that if youre doing 25 then youve got more time to react than if youre doing 35, you cant escape that basic FACT.

Quote: Originally posted by sn00p on 06 February 2005

The fact of the matter is that if youre doing 25 then youve got more time to react than if youre doing 35, you cant escape that basic FACT.
Depends how fast your car can stop. What I mean is the speed isnt the be all and end all....there are other factors...such as weather...God I sound like my old man?!

[Edited by Tubster on 06 February 2005 at 1:59pm]

Clio 197

Well, I guess some of this is my fault...?

If my mugshot had been 50 in a 30, a doubt it would have sparked up much discussion... I would have points and a fine, fair and square.

Does anyone on here remember me posting this:

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1107699676__SpeedingMeg.jpg

My mate got caught doing 58 in a 40 (in my megane)... There was none of this "serves you right" attitude/discussion... Why? Because its blatently obvious that he deserved it... full stop.

To then supplement his fine and points with notes through his door, saying "you deserve it, you should slow down or you might kill a child", would be unreasonable. Why should it be different on this forum?

I believe that the reason behind the fuss over the past few days is that I was only just over the limit.

All of you know that a policeman with a hand held device would not have stopped me. Why? Because what I was doing was not dangerous at the time.

A brainless camera got me, and thats why Im not happy about it.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Quote: Originally posted by Tubster on 06 February 2005

Depends how fast your car can stop. What I mean is the speed isnt the be all and end all....there are other factors...such as weather...God I sound like my old man?!

[Edited by Tubster on 06 February 2005 at 1:59pm]
I didnt say stopping distance, I said time to react! :cool:

I think the whole point is, if somebody posts on here saying "I shoplifted a CD from HMV and got caught, f*cking police should be out catching real criminals", would you expect the "hard luck mate" responses or would you expect to read "you shoplifted, its illegal, you got caught, deal with it".

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 06 February 2005Whats interesting is the focus always seems to be on breaking the law and by implication, being unsafe. It never seems to focus on the actual safe speed for the actual road where the actual offence took place.

[/QUOTE]I would hope that any competant driver would be able to maintain a constant speed without having to keep their eyes glued to the needle, its not really that hard to do!  Maybe those who do have this problem should seek some extra driving tutoring.  There seems to be a fixation on this board with that argument everytime this topic pops up.The fact of the matter is that if youre doing 25 then youve got more time to react than if youre doing 35, you cant escape that basic FACT.

A self destructive argument. In that case youd better drive around at 20, or maybe 15? Make it 10 just to be safe...oh wait, maybe 5?

Problem is there is no consistency, yesterday I may or may not have been ;) in a stream of traffic on a lightly populated M4 doing 85 and we passed a police car with a hand held laser gun. He didnt give chase though until some BMW driver toning it was stopped a few miles further on.

This only tells you one thing...it is acceptable to exceed the speed limit by 15mph but not be 30mph!

There is a line between speeding in the literal sense of the word, and constantly breaking speed limts as a habbit. Being a hardcore speeder/street racer significantly increases the risk of death or injury to ones self and others, of course, but that doesnt make *legal* drivers some how magically immune.

Sticking rigidly to the titular topic, people (including myself in the past) have been very eager to jump on anyone who posts about their expereince of getting caught speeding and often with remarks akin to speeding is breaking the law full stop - However, can these same guys honestly say theyve NEVER broken a speed limit? I mean even approaching a national speed limit sign from a 30mph zone, and maybe been doing 40mph techically inside that 30 zone? If you have, then consider that one day you might be unlucky enough to get nicked doing so, and then you might be in a position to post about it on here.

I do speed in the literal legal sense of the term, at times, but I generally drive slowly and safely. I dont consider myself to be a great driver, and I know what happens when you lose control of a car that you thought you were driving at a safe speed. Ive also been caught doing 37mph coming up to a national speed limit sign (as described above) That means Ive broken the law, but does it mean Im any less safe than the liars who say theyve never broken a speed limit? Does it f**k as like :)

megane coupe F7R

I reckon you should get judged by the performance of your brakes/car.Imagine if you were in a 182 with a 1.4rt next to you and you were both doin a 100mph. There is an accident ahead. Who is gonna be stopping first? All of the new cars now days will piss the stopping distances provided in the highway code. Im not saying its right to speed. Especially in built up areas or near schools.

its not right to speed full stop

the limits are there for a reason, the govt believe that they aer the safe speeds for that particular road, therefore, by speeding you are creating more risk

i no longer speed on any roads, its just not worth it

and re: catching real criminals, you speed you break the law, thats a crime, you are a criminal, they have done their job, sorry to moan about it, just all i hear is motorists arguing that the police target them too much

there are laws, stick to them if you dont want to get into trouble

Quote: Originally posted by Bryan on 06 February 2005

its not right to speed full stop

the limits are there for a reason, the govt believe that they aer the safe speeds for that particular road, therefore, by speeding you are creating more risk

i no longer speed on any roads, its just not worth it

and re: catching real criminals, you speed you break the law, thats a crime, you are a criminal, they have done their job, sorry to moan about it, just all i hear is motorists arguing that the police target them too much

there are laws, stick to them if you dont want to get into trouble
Well said. I totally agree

the govt believe that they aer the safe speeds for that particular road,

But NOT all motoring orginisations believe they are correct...

Clearly speed cameras are useless for gauging whether the speed someone was doing at a particular times was Dangerous or not.

It may have been over the limit, but may not have been dangerous (that what speed limits are for surely?)

A speed camera fines someone even though they may have been totally safe at 36mph in 30mph on a clear road with good visability and good brakes and yet someone doing 30mph outside a school in the pouring rain while tailgating another car, so have real bad visability will NOT get fined and yet they are the more dangerous driver.

Speed limits need to be "FLEXIBLE", Depending on a number other factors...imho...and NOT set a one single speed regardless of conditions....

Simon.

Quote: Originally posted by SimonV6 on 06 February 2005
Speed limits need to be "FLEXIBLE", Depending on a number other factors...imho...and NOT set a one single speed regardless of conditions....Simon. [/QUOTE]

load of toss IMHO

speeding is speeding, there is no need for limits to fluctuate or have any degree of flexibility, just like any other law, they are there, break them, suffer, this is one case of black and white, there are not many laws like this in this country

its a clear yes or no situation which we need more of IMHO, there are no inbetweens

Quote: Originally posted by SimonV6 on 06 February 2005

Speed limits need to be "FLEXIBLE", Depending on a number other factors...imho...and NOT set a one single speed regardless of conditions....

Simon.

load of toss IMHO

speeding is speeding, there is no need for limits to fluctuate or have any degree of flexibility, just like any other law, they are there, break them, suffer, this is one case of black and white, there are not many laws like this in this country

its a clear yes or no situation which we need more of IMHO, there are no inbetweens

Now that answer is a load of TOSS mate, and shows you know nothing about driving at all.....

Simon

What must be appreciated is that the government are the ones that make the laws and Bryan is totally right in what he says.

I would remind Simon that he is being discourteous to other forum members when he takes the attitude that he is taking.:( (and that I believe is against forum rules and offends common courtesy)

If being safe was a case of driving by numbers then bryans post would make sense and we could all get our licences off the back of a cereal box after collecting ten tokens and sending £2.99 for postage.

As it is, I dont believe that driving is a yes/no situation as there are too many constantly varying variables to say that a limit should be fixed at one point.

And as for the government setting the right speed for the road - are you aware that limits used to be set acording to the 85th percentile rule (a rule which makes sense and is kept to by all but the most hardcore speeders who will ignore any limit anyway) but are now being set at the whim of local councillors and politicians, eager to get votes off the people that are asking for lowered limits? How many roads do you know that have been one speed limit for as long as you can remember in your area with no accidents to speak of, but have now suddenly come down by 10 or even 20mph? Do you think that theyve suddenly become shockingly dangerous? Or that perhaps the do-gooders have been bleating about people speeding when they are in fact driving the same as they have always done...

If I drive my local roads at the limits that they used to be (hypothetically speaking of course ) then I feel I am driving at speed that is suitable for the road, and I am alert and awake. If I drive them at the new limits (which I have done) then I get to the end of my journey and I struggle to remember the trip as I have switched off from driving because I am going too slowly to maintain any kind of interest in my surroundings. I believe this is where the term dumbing down comes from, as so many people now just blindly follow the limit believing it to be safe and paying no attention to the world around them.

All IMO of course, and Im sure Im a massively dangerous driver what with trying to always drive safely and to the best of my ablilities (which should hopefully be getting better when I sign up again for advanced training), whether Im below, at or above the limit.

Lots of people seem to think that its okay to speed in 60s but not in 30s or 40s, but more fatalities occur on 60 roads (which is a fact in my county.)

red Clio 52, despite my years of experience on internet forums telling me youre looking for responses, I shall respond regradless.

Have you NEVER....EVER....broken a speed limit? ANYWHERE...EVER? If you havent then you dont drive, and if you have, then your argument here is moot.