ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Service Plans - Worth it?

Clio 200
Just had a call from by local Renault dealer (Bristol Street Motors, Exeter). They have offered me a service plan for the next 3 years servicing. I'm always sceptical about these sorts of things but quite intriguiged by this as it seems quite cheap.

I've been quoted a total of £339 over the next 34 months which will cover my next 3 services in Oct 2015-2017. The price included parts, labour and VAT. My car is a 2004 182 on 67k.

I dont know what the cost of my next 3 services will be but I expect they will be a little more than that, plus I would get to spread the payments throughout the year. Anybody doing this at the moment, anything to look out for? Thanks.

If your car is 10 years old iirc it'll need the cambelt & bits doing again, I doubt the service plan will include that etc, as Renault charge over £700 for that.

If they're doing everything for that price + the next services, get involved.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
VX offered me a service plan for parts + labour + VAT for £13 a month on the Astra for a service a year for as long as I keep the car and pay the service plan!

mk1 Octavia VRS
Sounds good value but my questions would be what happens if you sell the car and what happens if the car is written off and can't go back on the road?
As mentioned depending when your cambelt was last done you might need to budget for that too in the next 3 years.

Personally I service the car myself because when a car gets to this sort of age having a main dealer service history is less important come re-sale time and I can do just as good a job. For £339 you should be able to get two oil change services and one full service at a decent independent garage if you don't have the confidence/tools/time to do it yourself.