ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Severe Juddering While turning at low speed ....

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
seems like the cars slipping round when i turn at very low speed and just violently judders.
whats the problem ??

anything to do with camber and alignment ?

ta

Da

Less
No, it's quite normal. Do a searck for 'skip'. I've heard that it's the tyres, they are too wide at the front for the wheelbase when on full lock so the tyres skip!

Mine does that too.

Example - full lock, sub 5mph, wet tarmac. Seems to slip and skid, quite a weird sensation. Glad I'm not the only one.

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
hmm :S ive never had it before though in over 2 years of ownership im sure.

exactly how 172 says ...

maybe i have had it but just not realised till now

Mine has always done it. As said above, particularly when the tread is low. It's almost like a geometry problem - the inside wheel on a car always turns a tighter radius than the outside...it feels like this is all wrong at full lock on the Clio.

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Mine does it to too. Just an idiosyncracy of the 182's 205 profile tyres.

Found it odd at first.

There's no logical reason why the tyres, regardless of width, should skip and scrub if the geometry is correct. My guess is that approaching full lock, the turning radius is incorrect. I guess the tyres may make it worse, but I don't reckon they're the cause IMHO.

I'd never noticed this problem before when reversing with full lock off my drive - however when I lowered my 172 it put the tracking right out and I started getting this really bad juddering when on full lock at slow speeds.

I reckon you should get the tracking done to be safe, it only costs about £20 - which is nothing compared to the cost of new tyres; the bad tracking could be eating them like it did with mine!